not losing fast enough

Options
i'm not losing weight fast enough i been watching this show on A&E called heavy and they are losing like 10 to 15 pounds a week while the most i lose is 1 or half a pound i cut my calorie intake from 1400 to 1200 and i exercise as much as i can what else can i do?

Replies

• rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Losing 10-15 pounds a week is unrealistic unless you are extremely overweight. it's not healthy and the weight would be quickly put back on. Watching white carbs, sodium, and sugar intake is just as important as calories. Try a low carb diet for a week an see how that goes. There's plenty online. Best wishes!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, losing 10 to 15 pounds in a week is not typical and in general not healthy. Up to 2lbs/week is usually the benchmark for a healthy rate of weight loss. People on these reality shows lose weight fast because they have a LOT of weight to lose. It's a lot easier for morbidly obese people to lose weight fast. As you shrink, the weight loss slows.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Loosing that much sounds like a recipe for serious cardiac problems. What you are losing is so much more healthy, and has a much greater chance of staying off!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? The weight came on over time. It will take the time it takes to lose it. Make this a change of life, not a short term diet. One pound at a time, just keep going.
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't kick yourself because you aren't matching up to people on a TV show. What the cameras aren't showing you is the unhealthy and even dangerous behaviors these people are using to lose that much weight - starvation, dehydration, exercising to the point of collapse, mental abuse from their "trainers", and so on. NEVER rely on "reality" TV as a guide to anything.

1/2 to 1 pound per week is actually a very healthy rate for long-term weight loss, and depending on how active you are you should probably eat a little more than 1200 calories a day; if you don't your body could go into "starvation mode", which will slow down weight loss.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything you see on TV. Healthy weight loss is no more then 2 pounds a week, generally. There are some people who can lose a lot more in a short period of time, but they are generally morbidly obese, not the average overweight person. Rapid weight loss is usually just water weight and some muscle and not actual fat loss. Losing water can be okay if you are suffering from edema, but if not, then it is not healthy. Muscle loss actually decreases the calorie need of the body so when you go back to eating your normal amounts you aren't burning all of those calories so you will be more likely to gain fat in the long run. If you're eating a healthy diet and exercising at a level you feel you can comfortably maintain for the rest of your life, then you are on the right track for you. Don't stress out by comparing yourself to others. Remember, you didn't gain it all overnight, so you can't expect to lose it overnight either!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Those big numbers are typically from very, very obese people who are working out 8-10 hours a day, burning around 7-8,000 calories a day.

If you are that shape, and you work that hard, you can get those numbers.

However, most of us aren't that obese, and we really cant, or wont, work out for 8-10 hours a day, so we wont get those numbers.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    not only are those ppl exteremly overweight that they will lose rapidly in the beginning, they are being supported by trainers and nutritionists, and their full time job is to lose weight. the rest of us have lives.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started @ the size of those people. I lost 30 lbs. in my first week. I cut pop out completely. then guess what? it slowed down. I average 5-8 a month now. patience.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I started @ the size of those people. I lost 30 lbs. in my first week. I cut pop out completely. then guess what? it slowed down. I average 5-8 a month now. patience.

Lol, it wasn't cutting the pop out that made you lose the 30lbs! You clearly had a more healthy diet, with far less sodium, and therefore lost a lot of water!

Sure, if you drank a lot of pop then stopped you were naturally consuming less calories.

OP don't forget it takes a calorie deficit of 3,500 to lose 1lb of fat. An average jog on the treadmill is about 300 cals per half hour. So you can see how much exercise you have to do to simply lose 1lb, let alone 10-15lb, in a week.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job!! Just keep doing what you are doing!! I wouldn't change a thing if I were you. Keep counting calories and exercising, and you'll get to where you want to in no time.