Calling all horse people!

Options
I thought we could all get together and talk about our horses and share two things in common, weight loss and horses!

I have a 25 year old palomino quarterhorse gelding. I've had him since he was one. What a nice long ride we've had. We showed on the QH circuit until he was 10 when I retired him. He needed stifle surgery. And during the recovery I discovered how nice it was to have some money, LOL. Since then I discovered and became involved in Vaquero style training, and he has been my faithful crash test dummy for all my learning. I swear I can see him roll his eyes everytime I take him to a clinic, or try something new.

So, hopefully all you horsemen will want to share about your horses and weight loss at the same time?

Kim

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Don't have horses, but have had life long love & my parents bred Arabians when I was little. I used to run around with them, barefoot & half naked. I learned a lot. They treated me as a herd member. I got stepped on, kicked, bitten, and charged, just like any naughty foal would.
    I also had the good fortune to live 15 mins from Monty Robert's beautiful farm in Buellton, CA, as a teenager.

Someday I will own my own horses. My soon-to-be 3yo is just as crazy as I am :)
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately I haven't had a horse for a few years now and I miss it terribly.
    I grew up showing them, living on a Quarter Horse farm where we trained them. I showed everything from Western Pleasure, to Hunt Seat to mostly Reining. I would LOVE to have another horse sometime... if I can ever afford to own and board one. I wish my kids had the chance to ride like I did.

Not to mention, now that I am losing weight, I know it would be a great hobby to go along with this. Not to mention I would feel better about riding now!

I grew up on my Palomino I had for YEARS and some time ago a friend of ours acctually bought him back from the kid who was using him as a jumper. We got to see him when he was in his 20's so that was great.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    HI there - I have one horse (who is very old) and I just sold my show horse. I miss showing him very much, but it was time for a fiscal break, our little hobby can get expensive! I have worked hard to be smaller in size as I find it tends to matter in the show ring (I AN NOT SAYING IT SHOULD MATTER - It JUST USUALLY DOES). I can tell you that weight loss both now and previous - has helped me run in showmanship with much more consistancy.

I also dwell in the horse world as the CT 4-H Horse Program Coordinator. I work with kids and their horse projects every day on the academic end of horse learning. I love horses and horse people - even when the rest of the world thinks we are crazy.:heart:
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I've been riding for 14 years, and I have a 20-something year old Morab (morgan/arab cross). I've had him for 11 years, and he's perhaps the best horse anyone could ever ask for. His name is Punky, and he's a bay with a question mark blaze.. so adorable. I originally bought him from the barn I had been riding at that was going to use him as a school horse (and inhumanely I might add). They got him from an auction with the story that he would've gone to slaughter otherwise. He was cheap, and I had no idea what I was getting into at the time. He had terrible behavior, loved to rear and bolt, and would rather shove you than listen to you. I hated him.
    Needless to say, after about a year or two of some hard research and a lot of bonding, Punky and I became incredibly close.
    I ride English. I started off as a hunter/jumper, but now I'm in the eventing world. I don't show..at all.. mostly because I'm in college and I can't afford it. But I still take lessons (I work at the barn I board him at.. so I work off lessons and board to be able to afford it) and Punky still jumps remarkably well for his age. But we mostly focus on dressage, and that horse will try his hardest to do what he can for me.

I LOVE horses. I could spend each and every day at the barn (which I normally do) for hours and hours. Punky is my best friend, and he has gotten me through many a hard time. I'm also the only one who can ride him correctly, and one of the only people that he will listen to completely. He's not disobedient necessarily, just stubborn and way too intelligent for his own good.

I'd love to join you in the horse love/weight loss journey. Horseback riding is also wicked good exercise. Especially doing no-stirrup work!

Here's a pic of my pony :)

2988_81474581626_605796626_2174365_2510191_n.jpg
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    HI there - I have one horse (who is very old) and I just sold my show horse. I miss showing him very much, but it was time for a fiscal break, our little hobby can get expensive! I have worked hard to be smaller in size as I find it tends to matter in the show ring (I AN NOT SAYING IT SHOULD MATTER - It JUST USUALLY DOES). I can tell you that weight loss both now and previous - has helped me run in showmanship with much more consistancy.

I also dwell in the horse world as the CT 4-H Horse Program Coordinator. I work with kids and their horse projects every day on the academic end of horse learning. I love horses and horse people - even when the rest of the world thinks we are crazy.:heart:

Hi Emily!
    Yeah your right about being judged while overweight. It shouldn't matter, but look who we're usually dealing with, LOL. A bunch of good ole boys! Last weekend when I was judging a show, I was talking to the other judge about the difficulty of watching everyone when there are big classes, and how do the judges pick who they will watch, etc. She told me a guy once told her he "wouldn't judge any fat girls". That sucks! But it's true!

Anyway, I do know the last time I lost 20 pounds, I loved how much better I could ride. My Thighs were much thinner and I could really get my legs around better.
    I'm really looking forward to having that feeling again.

Kim
  • EmmaR31
    EmmaR31 Posts: 184
    Options
    Great thread:) I have a 7yr old Thoroughbred and she is one of the reasons I want to lose weight, so that I have better balance and don't feel guilty everytime I get on her back!
  • craftykimmer
    Options
    Hi Paula! Punky is a cute name for a cute horse! Glad you could join in. And it looks like you have done wonderfully with him!
  • craftykimmer
    Options
    Great thread:) I have a 7yr old Thoroughbred and she is one of the reasons I want to lose weight, so that I have better balance and don't feel guilty everytime I get on her back!

Me too! I feel so weird trying to ride with these fat thighs of mine. And I can just hear my horse begging ..."mom, lose weight"...LOL
  • bbpictures
    Options
    Hey! Count me in on this group....grew up showing hunter/jumpers and my "addiction" is still as strong as ever though I quit showing many years ago.
    Now a lot of my horse time is spent working with a therapeutic riding program. I'm trying to start my own here in NC and hope I can get it off the ground this year. It still amazes and enlightens me every day to see the power these animals can have over someone be it a mental or physical disability.
    I've got a thoroughbred mare, 20yrs old. who's a sweetie. I love 'em all!
  • etaven
    etaven Posts: 25
    Options
    Glad I found this thread!

I'm another English rider. I have two horses-- full siblings, Quarter Horse/Belgian crosses. The filly is 3, and the gelding is 4-- I'm working with him under saddle, and he's a smart cookie. Hoping to be able to show him by fall in some simple flat class... we'll see!

If any other horse people on here want to friend me, please do. I'm trying to use this as a reason to get to the barn more often (I have a hard time making myself drive down there, though once I'm there I'm always so happy) and also logging my training progress with the horses here, too.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am glad I found this group also. I used to ride competitive trail, but have not done much riding for the past 11 yrs since I have had children. Both of my girls, but especially the older one (who is 11) are starting to develop a passion for horses and riding. I grew up with Arabians, but bought a very old Quarter last Christmas for the girls to learn on. His name is Snoopy and works very well for the kids - but is a little stubborn or lazy - not sure which!

I have a 4yo black Arabian named 'Marzee' - that's short for some weird, long name and have a loaner from my dad, a 26 yo black Arabian named Naashi Phantara. My oldest daughter wants to start riding Naashi, but Naash still has a little bit more spunk than I think my daughter is ready for - but maybe that is the overprotective mother in me speaking. We have actually been doing a little riding this summer, getting ready for county fair. Hopefully both girls will be able to show this year.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow horse addicts!

I currently have a 9 year old AQHA palomino mare named Ottica. She's still green broke (I bought her just before the Canadian winter kicked in) but we are living and learning together. I have only bit the dust once this spring! I worked on a ranch for 7 years and I have ridden since I was 7. I used to trail ride a lot more than I do now. I hope to get into cowhorse events with Ottica and may do some ranch rodeos.

I only get to ride about once a week right now, but I see my gal every morning when I step out the back door.
  • Section117_Zolos
    Options
    Yay for horse people! :)

I've been riding for almost 20 years now. I took some time off for marriage and babies and I'm ready to jump back in.

I ride mostly hunters and jumpers. I did do dressage in college, but I like all aspects of riding.

Horses give me such hope and happiness and they ease any worries I have.

Count me in this group!
  • txdistancerider
    Options
    Glad to meet another Arabian owner on here! I have a gray arab mare and I mainly use her in competitive trail and endurance.
  • arispawild
    Options
    I totally was a 4-H kid. <3
    My horse is the most beautiful thing ever. His name is Mars and he is a stunning Chesnut brown Morgan. (Gotta love the neck arch). His show name is Milcreek Wardance, and I ride him English style and my sister used to jump with him. Haven't done much riding in forever, I miss it. But he is still el fantastico. We also have a Thoroughbred named Casey, and he is a retired race horse. He is my sissys. :)
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi....I'm in for the horsey corner!!

Been riding since I was about 8 with various gaps due to work, money and injuries.

I've ridden a variety of horses from dinky little 15 hh git (only one to unseat me) up to beautiful 17 2 Irish Draught x TB. I currently ride a friends horse - 16 3 Palomino Gelding - he's getting on and only copes with gentle work but that suits me. My horsey activites are limited due to a back injury - I've been strongly advised not to do anything potentially risky so I'm content to have gentle hacks.

My friend is also saying I can ride his 16 3 Event Mare - she's bonkers though so I want my seat and legs a bit stronger before I tackle the fire cracker that is Molly!!

I managed to crack my sacro-iliac joint, twist and misalign my pelvis and jam 2 disc spaces together - was told I wouldn't ride again, couldn't have kids and would probably end up in a wheelchair - did that the week I stopped smoking and thats when the weight piled on!

So glad there are other horsey folk on here!
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to you all. I have my beloved "Rocky". He is 35, totally arthritic, blind in one eye and his tongue hangs out all the time. (Unless he is sick; he does pull it in when he wants to) He is not much to look at but to me he is my world. I know you all can relate to what I am saying; about the unconditional love and no judgments. We have had six years together. He was brought to me the day my other sweetie passed away. I am a foster parent for elderly horses for a horse rescue here in So. California. I have had several horses come through (also to be companions to Rocky}. I would never wish to do anything different. Yes, it is getting costly with all the supplements and shots I give to Rocky but it is worth it. I know in my heart he will let me know the day he is ready to go; but for now....he is happy just walking around the property and pushing me around (sliming me too) . I would have loved to rife him but he was never going to ridden again. He is so funny that everyone wants to have their picture with him when they come by. I am currently losing weight and I know that part of my support is Rocky. I will be eating something whether it is an apple or cookie and he will come up to me and say "You gonna finish that?". So nice meeting you all and I loved reading all the posts. It makes me know that I am not the only one out there with the love for these crazy beautiful creatures!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Don't own a horse but I take riding lesson, maybe one day I would love to own one, when I gain more experience, and money would help too. Im learning English.
  • Aprilsdanes
    Aprilsdanes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Count me in as well!

My dad is a vet, so I've grown up around a lot of animals, but mostly horses and dogs.

We currently have 11 on our property right now. Which is a combo of my 3, my boyfriends 5, and the rest of my familie's. My rides are Bandit, a PMU percheron, Dominic, an Indian Reservation Mustang, and Bullet, a leopard appy.

My boyfriend packs mules for the forest service in the summer time, so I'm lucky enough to be able to ride into the high country and camp with him sometimes. So much fun and such pretty scenery! He's also big into the old vaquero ways, so that's cool you mentioned it.

Nice to see so many horse lovers on here!
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    This sounds great... I personally have two young quarter horse studs. They are about the same age and both are about 3 years old... the previous owner still hasn't gotten me my papers on them. When I was younger I used to train horses for various people in the area and an acquaintance told me if I worked with her older horses she'd give me these two boys. I've come to love them so very much and they always help to ensure I get plenty of exercise. LOL... they definitely keep me on my toes. When I acquired them neither had been worked at all and it's been a slow progress with them but as I've worked with them did some basic weight training and cardio I've slowly loss weight and inches. By time they are ready for me to ride in their training I'm thinking I'll be a weight I'll be comfortable with being on them. From being skittish to being as loving as they are you'd never know recognize em for the horses that I picked up.