Newbie here....HI everyone!

Options
Happy Football Sunday! I hope everyone is having a great day! =)

My name is Dawn and I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks now. I migrated over from a diff weight loss site. While I'm still on that site, I'm really enjoying how interactive MFP is. I love all of the forums and the wonderful people I have 'met' so far. Some of my buddies from the other site are on here too, so I immediately felt welcome.

I have always struggled with my weight. As far back as I can remember, I have always been on some kind of diet. Even when i was a child. I can remember eating 'diet bread' and being told I couldn't eat this or that. I remember learning at a very young age that food was my enemy and that started my life long obsession. Crazy how things we learn as children stay with us.

In the past, my way to lose weight has always been to starve myself. To the extremes. The longest I have gone without food was 15 days. I was in my 20s and thought the only way someone would love me would be if i was skinny. That was something else 'learned' at a very young age. It makes me sad thinking about that now.

About a year ago, i fell into a very deep depression and I got to my highest weight ever. 375. It was a very dark time for me. I felt so helpless and alone. Don't get me wrong, I have the MOST supportive partner and she did everything she could to help me...but ultimately it was me who had to get up and make myself better. No one could 'fix me' except me.

Fast fwd to April of this year, one a trip to AZ to visit my father, I finally made the decision to DO something about myself. You have to make the conscious decision to make a change and want something better for yourself in order for the 'change' to work.

May 4 I joined the other site and it honestly changed my life. I'm not sure WHY it hlped me as much as it did....but it did. To date, I have lost 85 lbs and have about 91 more to go. I have also come out of my depression and I'm dealing with my anxiety issues head on. I'm doing this withOUT meds and so far, it's working. I'm dealing with my 'stuffed' issues head on as well. This is a lifestyle change for me. it's NOt some diet. IMO diets don't work. At least for me. What I'm doing will be what I will do for the rest of my life.

Anyway, there is alot more that went into all of that but I don't want to bore anyone. I just wanted to introduce myself and give a little bit of my story. I'm very open to making new friends and I love to help and encourage people. So PLEASE feel free to send me a friend request!

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this. OH, and I'm a terrible speller so please don't hold it against me! =)

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn!

You've come to the right place. I know that you will be successful! :) Welcome!
  • KirstenRLD
    Options
    welcome :) well done on what you have accomplished already, and good luck !
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow! Your story sounds so familiar! It also sounds very hopeful! I have struggled with my weight all my life as well. Currently, my partner is going through some very deep depression and is gaining weight. She is feeling worthless, hopeless, etc. I continue my weight lose journey and figure she will join me when she feels up to it. I just wish I could get her to understand that I can't "fix" her...but I give it one hell of a try!

Good luck on your journey. Be proud of yourself at all stages of your life! I wish I had of appreciated myself when I just "though" (because I was told repeatedly) that I was fat.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Welcome. I moved around a bit too on other sites but you just can't beat the sense of community here.
  • Loramy
    Loramy Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello Dawn - welcome to the site. You should be very proud of yourself. You are doing
    brilliant. I found your writing very inspirational. Hope you get along well on here and
    can reach your goal. X
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn...I am so glad you are here. I remember those dark days last May when we "met". I am so proud of you and all you have accomplished so far. I'm still here with ya my friend....not going anywhere! We will just keep working it together!! MUAHHHHH !!
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!!