Eat more calories?

Options
So I've heard a lot of people saying that they got through a plateau by eating more calories. I'm 129 lbs., currently eating 1200 a day, and not losing. My RMR is 1350. Should I eat more to lose faster/break through the plateau?

Replies

• navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump cuz i would like to know too :happy:
  • nevadjinn
    nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    :) bump
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    Make sure you get some Omega fats in your diet, those can help you burn off fats faster. (fish,nuts,olive oil that kinda thing)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If your RMR is 1350 why would you ever eat less than that?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I find the occasional blow out boost my weight loss.
  • RomesMommy
    RomesMommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its worked for me at every plateau (3 so far) that i've had. I am smart about what i choose to eat more of, usually 2 extra ounces of protein every other day for a week revs my metabolism. I am following Medifast rules and its a low carb type of diet, but some days i go over required 85--88 calories and it also gives my weight loss the boost it needs. Good luck ladies! :)
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have definitively broken a plateau by upping my calories. 1200 calories is the minimum this site will ever recommend, and that is without any exercise. I would say it couldn't hurt to give it a couple of week worth of experiment to increase your calories and see what happens. Just don't have all of your extra calories be all sugar, as sugar (and other simple carbs) will prevent fat store usage.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    In my opinion, once you get to where you are fairly low fat, you should take a close look at WHAT you are eating as opposed to how much. If you don't have much fat to lose (at 129 I'm guessing you don't) then eating a little more protein and Omega fats may help you to sustain a harder workout. You don't want to drop too low in calories without having ample fat to rely on or you will hit the wall hard.

Just my opinion - good luck!
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    So if I change the settings to get me to lose 1/2 a pound a week I won't become obese?! Sweet! Thank you everyone. You are all so wonderfully supportive! Excuse me for a minute while I proceed to eat a bowl of vegetables with olive oil.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    So if I change the settings to get me to lose 1/2 a pound a week I won't become obese?! Sweet! Thank you everyone. You are all so wonderfully supportive! Excuse me for a minute while I proceed to eat a bowl of vegetables with olive oil.

I've been on here for almost 6 months and the one thing I've learned is to trust your progress and ignore the settings.
  • nevadjinn
    Options
    Yeah I've been getting that impression...
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yep. worked for me this week-- this board gave me advice to up the calories and eat 1/2 my exercise cals and the weight has melted off. i couldnt believe it! guess i was eating too little--- was at 1200 and now do 1460 and about a 100 more if I work out.