Going over on Protein

Options
How bad is it if I go over on Protein? Like does it really not matter??

So basically what I'm asking is, how much affect does it have?

Replies

• GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you and I personally have not seen any adverse affects of going over. I think it affects everyone differently. If you are exercising a lot it is necessary. Just watch yourself and modify accordingly :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Terrible! Thats why body builders are so fat and only live to be 27 ;D
  • lbearabc
    Options
    Protein doesn't get stored in the body like carbs or fat, usually the extra just gets expelled. If your working out, you need a little more protein to rebuild muscles.
    Options
    Protein doesn't get stored in the body like carbs or fat, usually the extra just gets expelled. If your working out, you need a little more protein to rebuild muscles.

Uhh wat? It gets stored haha you don't just piss it out lol
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    I asked the same question when I started and the general consensus was if i'm working out its not a big deal at all. if i had a sedentary lifestyle, eating more protein might slow (not hinder) my weight loss.
    Options
    I asked the same question when I started and the general consensus was if i'm working out its not a big deal at all. if i had a sedentary lifestyle, eating more protein might slow (not hinder) my weight loss.

Nah it won't slow it :] As long as you are in a calorie deficit it does not matter.

I aim for 120g + of protein a day
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    There can be adverse effects to having too much protein. However, you would have to be eating 30% of your diet in protein and even at that if you are staying well hydrated you should be OK.

If you are increasing the protein (and probably calories) but not doing anything with those resources you are going to find yourself very disappointed.

Good luck

-Arron
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Protein can indeed be metabolized and converted into fat. The difference is it requires 26 calories per 100g to convert protein into fat, whereas it takes less than 1 calories per 100g to convert carbohydrates (and of course it takes nothing to store fats as fat. :) ).

That said, unless you have some specific medical problem, Protein and Fiber are the two things I would not worry about going over in.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Calories mostly come from one of three things. Carbohydrates (4 calories per gram), Protein (4 calories per gram), and Fat (9 calories per gram) so if you eat, than the calories you consume will usually be coming from one of these things. IMO protein is the one that I want more of my diet filled with because it keeps me fuller longer than foods mostly comprised of carbohydrates or fats. That's what works for me though, everyone is different. I go over on protein every day (most days I double it). I also go over on fiber, which I believe is okay too.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay, seriously... how are you getting in all this protein? I never get in all my protein, so I'm interested to hear how you're doing it. I think it is probably best to be a little high on protein, rather than low... so I think you are doing really well. Your muscles will thank you for it!

Beth
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    Each gram of protein provides 4 calories
    For every 20 lbs. of body weight, a person needs only 8 g of protein
    Extra protein becomes a source of energy... but if you dont use it it will get stored.
    So basically if you are getting really good workouts then you shouldnt worry too much about going over
    Options
    Okay, seriously... how are you getting in all this protein? I never get in all my protein, so I'm interested to hear how you're doing it. I think it is probably best to be a little high on protein, rather than low... so I think you are doing really well. Your muscles will thank you for it!

Beth

Lots of places! Obviously meats such as chicken, turkey, beef and such.
    Milk
    Protein powders
    Beans
    cheeses and cottage cheese
    yougurt - greek yogurt has about 16-19g per 6 oz cup
    even breads, cereals, veggies have a little protein.
    It all adds up!
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    i go over too but i also have intense workouts so its not bad..weight control oatmeal... lean meats... fish... beans...milk
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i say go over protein as much as you can!!! 1- it has less calories, 2- it will help build the muscle that you are working out at the gym, so you will be more toned.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Beth

Really! Wow..... I always go over on protein.... I think it has to do with chicken and beans (red, black, kidney, chili)..... even peanut butter will do it... just have to watch the fat and sodium ratio which isn't that hard.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Beth

I've been having the same problem. I am always left with at least half of my protein for the day if not more. I bought protein shakes to help. I'm not big on eating alot of animal products (not vegan, just don't have the taste for them all the time) and so it is hard for me to get my allotment in. I've noticed being under my protein though has had a major affect on my body and I was out of commission for almost 3 days because of it.
  • mindlemoo
    Options
    massive amounts of chicken always puts me good on calories but over on protein
    Options
    i go over too but i also have intense workouts so its not bad..weight control oatmeal... lean meats... fish... beans...milk

If you go over on protein and stay under your calories it doesn't matter. On days I don't workout I still get 120g of protein.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Actually, beyond the small amount that is used for muscle-protein-synthesis, it doesn't.

This is not to say that you piss it out, just that your body will just store your dietary fat (and to a lesser extent, carbs), and use whatever excess protein you take in for energy.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
    Options

Actually, beyond the small amount that is used for muscle-protein-synthesis, it doesn't.

This is not to say that you piss it out, just that your body will just store your dietary fat (and to a lesser extent, carbs), and use whatever excess protein you take in for energy.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html

Thanks for the links! Will be reading them :D I guess I was wrong ^-^

*edit* I have heard a lot of people say that any extra protein you take in is just expelled though with your urine xD That was what that part was about:]