Not reaching Calorie Daily Goal

Options
I have no doubt that this question has been asked previously, but I can't find a suitable answer in the forums.

I have recently started to take Metformin for Class II Diabetes. A major side effect of this medication for me is the total loss of appetite on some days of the week, usually weekends, which means that I do not feel hungry and consequently when I eat, I feel full quite quickly.

On these days, I rarely reach my Daily Goal for calories, reaching about 1000 with my target currently being over 2000.

Should this be a concern for me? Should I rely on the 1200 minimum set by the site or should I rely on what my body is telling me - that I am full?

I don't want to get into a situation where I am forcing myself to eat when I don't want to.

Steve

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Add more calories-dense food to your diet. Use full fat dairy, eat a handful of nuts or half an avocado, for instance. :)
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I would say at BARE-MINIMUM you should be hitting 1200 calories I mean that seems extremely slow to begin with but I guess it all depends on your particular body and activity levels. The guy above suggested calorie dense foods which is a great idea but in this extreme measure I'd consider using sweets and other (low sugar obviously due to the diabetes) substitutes that will fill in you're remaining daily goals.
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Metformin is really tricky, and can send you the no longer hungry signal unfortunetly. The best thing to do though is eat at least 1,200 calories. If you get up to 1,000, you're only missing 200 calories. Find a time of the day where you can fit in an extra snack. Don't wait until your body sends the hungry signal. It can be fairly easy, for instance if you eat 3 meals a day, add a snack a couple hours after breakfast, or a couple hours after lunch. Good luck
  • catherine1305
    Options
    wow your calorie was 1200 mine was 1540 seemed high and I couldn't reach it so I lowered it to 1400
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I believe 1200 is the minimum limit for women... You probably should be aiming for 1400-1600. Did you manually change the MFP deficit?

Nuts are excellent cal dense foods that won't fill you up much.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you absolutely cannot stand to chew another bit of food then maybe a meal replacement shake can he'll. Or protein shake after a workout. It's something. Just a thought.
  • catherine1305
    Options
    I manually changed it to 1400. Nuts are high in fat if you are trying to loose they should be avoid in excess. 10-12 nuts as a snack is not bad but I would tend to go overboard so I just avoid until I get my weight moving in the downward direction.
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    I manually changed it to 1400. Nuts are high in fat if you are trying to loose they should be avoid in excess. 10-12 nuts as a snack is not bad but I would tend to go overboard so I just avoid until I get my weight moving in the downward direction.

The question is asking how to up their calories, eating nuts makes perfect sense...
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks.

I'll remember the nut advice, they are something I love but haven't considered.