Hi, my name is Cheri and I am a chips addict.

Options
"It cost me ten thousand dollars in therapy to say that sentence". It's my comfort food of choice, and I am so in love with it, regardless of its empty calories. My undying love for chips and fast food, coupled with years of hypothyroidism and lack of activity, has resulted in becoming 230 lbs.

I have finally gotten to the point where I am tired of being tired. I'm in my 20s, but I have the stamina of an 80 y/o (although I do know a few ppl that age who still have more than I do). I'm planning to lose around 100lbs, so I will be here for a long time.

If anyone out there is a recovering chip/fast food addict or if you just have some advice, I would appreciate some support! :)

Replies

• shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I love fast food lol, thats the hardest thing to give up. Here is a recipe i found earlier today from someone. It is kale chip recipe. Maybe it will help replace regular chips for you. Good luck!

Kale
    Garlic Salt (or seasoning of choice)
    Olive oil

COOKING

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. First you clean the Kale then cut the whole stem off (video below for help with cutting)
    http://video.answers.com/how-to-cut-kale-516954750

3. Then cut into into chip sized pieces

4. mix very little olive oil and garlic salt (or choses seasoning) together and drizzle a very small amount
    into bowl with kale, mix till all kale is lightly covered

5. Put on a backing pan ( I put parchment paper down first for fast clean up)

6. Cook 15 minutes
  • andy2797
    andy2797 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheri,

I'm new here too. I also want to lose 100lbs... Maybe more! So I'll be here for the long haul too! :smile:
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am a chips addict also. I have recently challenged myself to not have and until after Christmas. I started that challenge in September, I've failed twice. It just makes me realize how unconciously I grab them. So I've started again with the self challenge. I found World Trade roasted Pecans at Wal-Mart, and they are pretty darn good. So at this point, that's my substitution.
  • xhpx1026
    Options
    Hi there,

I don't think you have to give anything up, necessarily... you just have to recognize the weakness and set boundaries for yourself. Have a serving of chips, but make an agreement that if you have a serving of chips, that will be it. Being a little firm with yourself really makes a difference. And don't worry about how other people eat... it will catch up with them too.

Regards,

H
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I love fast food lol, thats the hardest thing to give up. Here is a recipe i found earlier today from someone. It is kale chip recipe. Maybe it will help replace regular chips for you. Good luck!

Kale
    Garlic Salt (or seasoning of choice)
    Olive oil

COOKING

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. First you clean the Kale then cut the whole stem off (video below for help with cutting)
    http://video.answers.com/how-to-cut-kale-516954750

3. Then cut into into chip sized pieces

4. mix very little olive oil and garlic salt (or choses seasoning) together and drizzle a very small amount
    into bowl with kale, mix till all kale is lightly covered

5. Put on a backing pan ( I put parchment paper down first for fast clean up)

6. Cook 15 minutes

This sounds good, I will be trying this.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am also a savory tooth. Chips/fast food and processed food - major vices!

still working on the processed food but it is getting easier :)!

You can totally do it!
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had over 100lb to lose . . .i'm 39lb down . . .but such a long way to go :( . . .my problem isn't fast food its WINE!! But I stilll need to give it up as much as u need to give up chips! . .maybe we can help each other :)
  • Myzstarr
    Myzstarr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi my name is starr and im addicted to chips and fast food as well. lmao!!! im also in the 200's and is looking to lose 100lbs. good luck on ur journey
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    My vice is ice cream. I love ice cream and now buy skinny cows or weight watchers ice cream bars. This has really helped with portion control. I have been on here since july 2010 and have lost 87lbs. You can do it. this is a great site for support and motivation.......
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The only thing I like better than chips is chips and dip. I have this as a treat once in a while, a bowl of popchips, greek yogourt mixed with onion soup mix. Popchips are really good, I wouldnt eat them everyday but once in a while they are great!
  • jewls1969
    Options
    I had over 100lb to lose . . .i'm 39lb down . . .but such a long way to go :( . . .my problem isn't fast food its WINE!! But I stilll need to give it up as much as u need to give up chips! . .maybe we can help each other :)

My biggest downfall is wine and beer!! I have cut way back on my frosty beverages but I've discovered Football Sunday without my brewskies is very difficult!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Ain't that the show with Erik Estrada, where he and this other dude give people speeding tickets on their bikes?
  • shadowfx
    Options
    Hi Cheri, thanks for being so candid and honest about what has created the You of today. I think you are spot on about chips and fast foods being addictive, I've been there myself and have now gotten myself to a stage where I can resist them on an everyday basis, and just allow myself to indulge on the odd social occasion.

The thing that helped me kick the worst of the habit was analysing what it was about the particular item, for instance chips, that I found so irresistible....for me that was the crunch for a start, then the salty sweet tang of the coating ( my nemesis were and still are Pringles BBQ Chips). What I did was exercise extreme portion control, I worked out that 25g of Pringles amounted to 13 chips, so i counted out my 13 chips and then put away the container and left the room. Instead of mindlessly munching on the whole carton, I consciously sit and enjoy eating each Pringle really slowly, savouring the crunch and flavour. That way I had the taste on my tastebuds for as long as I would have, had I eaten the whole pack.

End result? Able to have my Pringles and eat them too, without the consequences LOL. HOpe this helps. We both have a long way to go, so I look forward to being there to cheer you on and celebrate when you reach goal. Go hard girlfriend!

Usually its not what we eat so much, as how much of it we eat and the lack of control we have over ourselves as we eat it.
    It's so damned easy to have a binge blow-out, and then feel horribly guilty for the rest of the day. It's much better to respect that food is meant to be enjoyed, especially junk food is designed that way, and to allow yourself to enjoy a normal portion without the huge guilt burden that comes with loss of control.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My husband is also a chip addict and he has started to replace chips with Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snacks. They are actually quite good.

We also love Kale chips. Love, love, love them!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have more than a 100 pounds to lose, though I put my goal here as 100 pounds. I figure when I reach that, I can reset it, but the way my mind works, I need to see that butterfly on the ticker move! :laugh:

I don't buy potato chips any more. I slice a potato very thinly, spray a microwave safe dish with cooking spray, and lay to slices out in a single layer. Sometimes this means two different plates. Then I microwave it on high for between 5 and 7 minutes. You can salt them if you want to before nuking them, or not if you are watching your sodium.
    I also like a serving of pistachio nuts as a replacement for chips. I know nuts have a high fat content, but they are a healthy fat, right?
    Best wishes to you, Cheri! :flowerforyou:
  • lovelydi842
    Options
    I have been up and down all my life and never seem to keep the weight off. I never understood why until reading the book hunger free forever which explains the whole insulin & carbohydrate connection. I am now once again motivated to work on losing the 65lbs I put back on in the past 6 yrs after losing it over 9 months of hard work on weight watchers. I struggled for about 5 years to stay at goal before giving up 6 years ago and watching it come back about 10-12 lbs a year. I always found with chips once I started it was hard to stop. I have high cholesterol and told a friend at work who advised me a medical clinic that specialized in weight loss and loaned me her book. This information has me motivated to make healthier choices and have a different perspective about than ever before.
  • Cheri06
    Cheri06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am a chips addict also. I have recently challenged myself to not have and until after Christmas. I started that challenge in September, I've failed twice. It just makes me realize how unconciously I grab them. So I've started again with the self challenge. I found World Trade roasted Pecans at Wal-Mart, and they are pretty darn good. So at this point, that's my substitution.

I am going to have to try that!!! I love pecans :heart:

The thing that helped me kick the worst of the habit was analysing what it was about the particular item, for instance chips, that I found so irresistible....for me that was the crunch for a start, then the salty sweet tang of the coating ( my nemesis were and still are Pringles BBQ Chips). What I did was exercise extreme portion control, I worked out that 25g of Pringles amounted to 13 chips, so i counted out my 13 chips and then put away the container and left the room. Instead of mindlessly munching on the whole carton, I consciously sit and enjoy eating each Pringle really slowly, savouring the crunch and flavour. That way I had the taste on my tastebuds for as long as I would have, had I eaten the whole pack.

End result? Able to have my Pringles and eat them too, without the consequences LOL. HOpe this helps. We both have a long way to go, so I look forward to being there to cheer you on and celebrate when you reach goal. Go hard girlfriend!

Usually its not what we eat so much, as how much of it we eat and the lack of control we have over ourselves as we eat it.
    It's so damned easy to have a binge blow-out, and then feel horribly guilty for the rest of the day. It's much better to respect that food is meant to be enjoyed, especially junk food is designed that way, and to allow yourself to enjoy a normal portion without the huge guilt burden that comes with loss of control.

I never thought about what I love about chips (specifically Lays). I guess its the saltiness of it. I'm glad to hear that I don't have to go cold turkey; I think I will do what you did, just restrict to one serving and savor it!! Thanks!
  • Cheri06
    Cheri06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    My vice is ice cream. I love ice cream and now buy skinny cows or weight watchers ice cream bars. This has really helped with portion control. I have been on here since july 2010 and have lost 87lbs. You can do it. this is a great site for support and motivation.......

Yeah, I would still be crazy about ice cream too, but I have recently become lactose intolerant :cry: I love the husky pic btw!!!
    My husband is also a chip addict and he has started to replace chips with Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snacks. They are actually quite good.

We also love Kale chips. Love, love, love them!

I haven't thought about replacing chips with seaweed (I used to eat up my friend's pack of seaweed whenever he bought some). That's a good idea. Thanks!!