Homemade Mayonnaise - Bring out the (very) best!

Options
rf1170
rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
Mayonnaise is easy to make, and doing it at home allows you to control what goes into it. If you've never tried it, give it a shot! You can add fresh herbs or spices to make a tasty sandwich spread, mix it with chicken or tuna for a superior salad, or use it as a base for salad dressing. And whenever you eat raw eggs, buy them from a farmer you know personally rather than the grocery store. If the hens are healthy, the eggs are very likely healthy too.

Coconut/Olive Oil Mayonnaise

For those trying to avoid highly refined and processed vegetable oils, this is a great alternative. It doesn't contain any animal fats (though I've made it with pastured bacon fat, and it was a SUPERB baconnaise), but coconut and olive oils are among the healthiest plant fats we can consume. And because it contains coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature, this mayonnaise is thicker than most other homemade versions, giving it a more familiar consistency.

1 whole egg, room temperature
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp whey (optional)
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted if solid)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and black pepper to taste

Place all ingredients except the oils in a blender and pulse until mixed. Mix the oils together, and with the blender (or food processor) on medium speed, add the oil DROP BY DROP until the mayonnaise begins to emulsify. At that point you can add the oil in a slow stream, but be careful not to add too much at once. If you've used the whey (which I highly recommend!), place the mayonnaise in a glass jar with a lid and leave at room temperature for about seven hours, then place in the refrigerator. This short fermentation period will allow the beneficial bacteria in the whey to proliferate, which extends the shelf life of the mayonnaise - long-lasting and probiotic; does it get any better? You can expect the mayonnaise to be good for at least several months (if it lasts that long). Yields one pint.

Nutritional info per 1 Tbs serving - 40 cals - 0 carbs - 4g fat - 0g protein

mayo.jpg

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    this looks awesome, but I'm curious - is it okay that the egg is never cooked? and what is whey and where would I get it.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    this looks awesome, but I'm curious - is it okay that the egg is never cooked? and what is whey and where would I get it.

The egg is a non-issue; ALL mayo is made with raw egg.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think commercial mayo is made with pasteurized egg. Any time you use raw egg, you use it at your own risk, however homemade mayo sure is delicious, and this sounds great with coconut oil!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I love homemade mayo! One of my kids won't touch store bought mayo but she likes the homemade stuff. Just takes a minute and tastes so much better! I've never tried it with the apple cider vinegar though. Might have to give that a go.

ETA: you can make your mayo with pasteurized eggs and it will reduce your risk. Or you can use egg substitute but be sure to read the ingredients.
  • rf1170
    Options

The person who replied that all mayo is made with raw egg is (mostly) right - some brands may use pasteurized egg products, but mayonnaise has traditionally been made with raw egg. I use the eggs that my mother's hens lay because I know that they're healthy. I'd recommend using eggs from a trustworthy source - maybe you have a farmers' market nearby, or a friend who brings them in to work to share? If you don't find any right now, check around again in the spring. Those girls will be so busy, people will be begging you to take some. :)

As for the whey, it's the liquid part of milk, which is separated from the solids, or curds (remember Little Miss Muffet?). The easiest way to get some is to strain some plain yogurt. Pick a brand that's good quality (I'd stay away from low-fat; they don't taste as good after they're strained), with few additives. There shouldn't be many more ingredients than milk and yogurt cultures. Line a big bowl with cheesecloth, pour the yogurt in, then tie the cloth up and let it hang for several hours. The whey will come out into the bowl, and you can keep it in the fridge for a month or so. The yogurt will be thick, like Greek-style yogurt, and you can eat it however you normally would, or use it like cream cheese.

Let me know if you have any questions; I'm happy to offer advice!
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options

The person who replied that all mayo is made with raw egg is (mostly) right - some brands may use pasteurized egg products, but mayonnaise has traditionally been made with raw egg. I use the eggs that my mother's hens lay because I know that they're healthy. I'd recommend using eggs from a trustworthy source - maybe you have a farmers' market nearby, or a friend who brings them in to work to share? If you don't find any right now, check around again in the spring. Those girls will be so busy, people will be begging you to take some. :)

As for the whey, it's the liquid part of milk, which is separated from the solids, or curds (remember Little Miss Muffet?). The easiest way to get some is to strain some plain yogurt. Pick a brand that's good quality (I'd stay away from low-fat; they don't taste as good after they're strained), with few additives. There shouldn't be many more ingredients than milk and yogurt cultures. Line a big bowl with cheesecloth, pour the yogurt in, then tie the cloth up and let it hang for several hours. The whey will come out into the bowl, and you can keep it in the fridge for a month or so. The yogurt will be thick, like Greek-style yogurt, and you can eat it however you normally would, or use it like cream cheese.

Let me know if you have any questions; I'm happy to offer advice!

Thank you! We get our eggs from my mother-in-law who also has chickens. So I would trust them as well. I just didn't know that a raw egg would be good like that for months! who knew - thank you so much! My husband and I barely eat mayo as we are so untrusting of it, but there are times I do need it. Thank you!

also (you can tell how much we love making things ourselves) my husband has been dying to get some cheesecloths - he just loves old things.
  • rf1170
    Options
    That's perfect! You've got the hookup. Happy cooking!
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hate mayonnaise. I despise it with every fiber of my being. Until my girlfriend and I made it for her 30th birthday tapas party. We don't own a hand mixer so I whisked it by hand while she added the oil drop by drop. My arm nearly fell off but we succeeded in making garlic alioli and hot mayo. It tasted wonderful.

I still hate mayo, unless we make it ourselves.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • rf1170
    Options
    I hate mayonnaise. I despise it with every fiber of my being. Until my girlfriend and I made it for her 30th birthday tapas party. We don't own a hand mixer so I whisked it by hand while she added the oil drop by drop. My arm nearly fell off but we succeeded in making garlic alioli and hot mayo. It tasted wonderful.

I still hate mayo, unless we make it ourselves.

Ha! Glad to hear you had a redeeming experience. How did you season the hot mayo?
  • Carcarmat
    Carcarmat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    How do you get 40 cals per Tbsp? If you are adding 10 Tbsp (2/3c) of oil, and one egg, wouldn't that be at the very least 80-100 cals per Tbsp?
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    bump