teachers!

Options
I'm a student teacher about to go onto my practise and was hoping to have some tips from fellow student teachers or teachers as to how to avoid bad foods on breaks! Every school I've been in I have been surrounded by biscuits, chocolate, cakes etc...when on diet this is going to be hard!!

Any tips??

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Bring everything you're going to want to eat or drink with you. Just don't get into any new habits there out of convenience.
    If you know salty foods are your weakness, bring your own acceptable substitute. If you're a chocolate person, again, bring something that will satisfy this.
  • Siren8
    Siren8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You teach at a good school. I can't eat until lunch and sometimes thats a struggle. Don't go to the lounge, bring a peice of fruit for a holdover...
  • Bigtime078
    Options
    i'm a 5th grade teacher, and I pack my lunch as well as snacks.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Avoid the teachers lounge :p That is usually where all the snacks are, plus it is where all the angry venty gossip is, and that is really a horrible thing to get into while student teaching. Not to say that it is bad to do, a teacher has to vent to those who understands, but it can get depressing to hear everyday... especially when they are talking about budget cuts and future employment :p

Make sure to bring snacks of your own, fruit, vegies and just snack on those in your room or another free room instead of hanging out in the place of temptation. I found if I stepped foot in the lounge, I had no self control, but if I stayed out, I was ok. Also, feel free to ask about checking the weight rooms (this is if you are a higher grade level school, of course) and maybe go for a walk on the treadmill (a slowish one so you don't come back stinky) during your break.
  • anneke123456
    Options
    They have actually banned junk foods from schools here in the UK. We had a tuck shop in school filled with crap and like a bowl of fruit no one went near so glad things have changed since then. Well for some schools anyway, its taken off students (maybe only primary school though).
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I used to bring cut up veggies and or popcorn for breaks.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would like to say, you do it by staying out of the staff lounge! Some schools are horrible. Unfortunately that's not always possible, especially since some of the work rooms are in the staff lounge as well. I know here in the district I work in, (I'm an instructional assistant and sub so am in and out of different schools all the time.) They started offering Weight watchers last year, so it's definitely gotten better. It does drive me nuts tho to see cookies and cakes, and vending machines full of soda and candy bars in there.
  • sbrandl
    sbrandl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We have "payday" treats. It is brutal. I make it a point to not go into the teacher lounge on those days. For other days when random treats are available - I ask myself if it is really worth it. I think about the success I have had already and what would that piece of cake do to it. Its usually pretty easy to turn it down. I also always have healthy snacks available. (I eat 5x/day) Hope that helps. and good luck!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It's simple: just don't eat it.

I bring my own food.
  • gracibelle
    Options
    I pack all of my snacks and meals for the day in a small cooler, and only eat out of it :) If I have anything left in there at the end of the day, I can just add those calories to my dinner.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    a lot of my teachers drank diet pop. I vote that! haha idk tho! :D
  • Maff87
    Maff87 Posts: 39
    Options
    bump

what does this mean??

Thank you everyone else for your advice, I doubt the school has a gym (primary and in UK) but maybe a stroll around in the fresh autumn air? Basically I don't want to get hungry and scoff the biscuits they put in front of me! Can't really avoid the teachers lounge as have to be part of team for QTS grading. So bring own snacks to avoid their bad snacks.

Are most primary schools full of teachers with bad diets??
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Pack it, Prepare it, Plan for it. If you have a plan, and its packed, you will be successful because you were prepared. Get into a positive routine.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    yes!!! full of alot of poor diets and habits.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Pack it, Prepare it, Plan for it. If you have a plan, and its packed, you will be successful because you were prepared. Get into a positive routine.

And great advice for teaching as well! :) Enjoy yourself! At least you'll be up and about all day to help walk off some pounds.

If you can't avoid the break room entirely, can you avoid it for a large part of the day? I find that most of the treats (or at least the good stuff :p) is gone by midday anyways (usually because I got in there early and ate everything, lol)
  • Maff87
    Options

great quote for teachers in general :smile:
  • Maff87
    Options
    any filling but healthy foods anyone would recommend?