How do I get rid of these HORRIBLE shin splints?

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
They are holding me back so much and it makes me sooo angry. Any tips on how to help ease the pain and make them go away is appreciated!!!

Replies

• dimplzz
    Options
    They are holding me back so much and it makes me sooo angry. Any tips on how to help ease the pain and make them go away is appreciated!!!
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    I don't know that it would work for you, and a lot of people can't stand the smell, but try ICY HOT. It burns a little, but it dulls the pain, as far as getting rid of them, I wish I could say. Time is all I can think of, but that doesn't help today! I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, but try the ICY HOT if you can stand the smell! Best of luck!

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Did you get new shoes? That's what finally healed mine. I live in a metropolitan area so we may be spoiled but there are athletic stores where they can actually film you running and use a computer to analyze your stride. Then they can adjust your shoes accordingly.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    The right shoes would definitely help. I know when my shin splints act up it is time for a new pair of shoes. Once I get a new pair the pain goes away. My chiropractor also told me to strenghten that little muscle and that will help them. He told me to put marbles on the floor and pick them up with my toes and put them in a cup. Also make sure you are stretching. Good luck.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well, personally I would try ibuprofen and maybe some of that icyhot (i have a kind that doesn't stink as much, it just smells minty). The reason being, that shin splits are caused by two layers of muscle that meet over your shin bones rubbing when you do various things and they get inflamed and sore (I saw a cool animation of that once - wish I could put it here!). Ibuprofen will help with the inflammation and the pain (so will any other NSAID, naproxen works as well). Also you should probably take it easy with the exercises that caused the shin splints for a few days.

Just my two cents, hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I get recurring shin splints from time to time. They're awful! This info is from the mayo clinic website:

"Rest. Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort — but don't give up all physical activity. While you're healing, try low-impact exercises, such as swimming, bicycling or water running. If your shin pain causes you to limp, consider using crutches until you can walk normally without pain.

Ice the affected area. Apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four to eight times a day for several days. To protect your skin, wrap the ice packs in a thin towel.

Reduce swelling. Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night. It may also help to compress the area with an elastic bandage or compression sleeve. Loosen the wrap if the pain increases, the area becomes numb or swelling occurs below the wrapped area.

Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. Try ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve), aspirin or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to reduce pain.

Wear proper shoes. Your doctor may recommend a shoe that's especially suited for your foot type, your stride and your particular sport.

Consider arch supports. Arch supports can help cushion and disperse stress on your shinbones. Off-the-shelf arch supports come in various sizes and can be fitted immediately. More durable arch supports can be custom-made from a plaster cast of your foot.

It's also important to resume your usual activities gradually. If your shin isn't completely healed, returning to your usual activities may only cause continued pain."
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    I had very bad shin splints as well. At that point I was running 4 - 5 times per week. I had to stop cold turkey for 3 months before they got better (I was limping for 2 weeks after I stopped - that's how bad they were).

Ultimately, I saw a foot doctor and got Orthotics. They have made all of the difference in the world. Do you have high arches?
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it soo much. I talked to my mom today and she said aspercreme and that she swears by it. haha I guess she used to have the same problem. I have to go get new shoes too. I went to a running company and they told me the shoes that they though would be good. I used their treadmill and after 5 minutes of just walking, I had shin splints. They didn't seem to help with those but I do know that I still need to get some. I iced last night after I got done working out and will try that again today and tonight. It seems like each day I can walk a little longer before they start to bother me but when the start, it is the worst pain ever. I can't say it is as bad as labor but pretty close! :laugh: Oh and they don't hurt when I run really.. I am going to try to walk slow.. run as long as I can, walk slow.. run as long as I can and see if that helps with the pain at all.

Again, thanks for the replies!
  • dimplzz
    Options
    I had very bad shin splints as well. At that point I was running 4 - 5 times per week. I had to stop cold turkey for 3 months before they got better (I was limping for 2 weeks after I stopped - that's how bad they were).

Ultimately, I saw a foot doctor and got Orthotics. They have made all of the difference in the world. Do you have high arches?

I am not sure really... I don't think so... The guy at the running company said that I needed the "middle" of the road shoe. I don't remember what the proper term is but he said that my foot caves in a little when I walk so I needed a little give in the arch of a shoe. That probably makes no sense since I don't remember what the term was. :blushing:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    "writing" the ABC's with your big toe is a good stretch for shin splints....