When did you hit your first plateau?

Options
After how many pounds lost/how many to go? And also your starting weight and weight as of the plateau? I've only lost 9 lbs but I feel like I've ALREADY hit a plateau...I've been on MFP for about a month and a half. I started the 30 Day Shred on October 1st and also cut out red meat, dairy and coffee then as well. My weight loss went from a steady 2 lb loss a week...to 1 for a week...then nothing. I haven't lost anything for almost 2 weeks now, even with eating 1200 cals a day and exercising every day. I know it's "not all about the scale" and I am losing inches...I'm just curious as of the cause of the halt in pound loss-age. lol.
Is it possible that maybe my body burns fat/loses weight easier on a more well-rounded diet (including dairy and red meat), as opposed to one that deprives me of things my body is craving? I'm thinking of giving the no dairy/red meat thing until the month is up and then add it back and see what happens. I'm really trying to be patient, it's just hard. :-/
Do you think it's too soon to try to increase my calories and see if that helps? I just read a thread of people who were saying they lost more weight the more calories they ate. I can tell my metabolism is getting faster...cuz I'm getting hungry more often. (kind of annoying lol) Do you think it is too soon to try that?

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I hit a Plateau after 2 weeks and did not lose after that for two months. Then the weight kept coming off!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    every 5 to 10 pounds i hit a plateau

I don't know how far you are from your goal but when I was 10 - 15 lbs from my goal weight, I slowly increased my calorie intake my 50 or 100 calories until I hit maintenance

Also, sometimes I won't lose anything for a month... and then I'll lose 3 lbs in one week.

our bodies don't always follow the "rules" haha :)

sounds like you are on the right track though and congrats on the 9 lb loss !!!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau, and am still on it, when I hit the 20 pounds lost mark. I've been here for 2 1/2 month! I'm going crazy!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I was so confused when i clicked on this xD Thought my comments disappeared! Did you read my last comment?
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    nothing but gains, plateau free
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I hit the plateau right at the line between obese and overweight and it drove me mad! I exercised my butt off to tip the scale but it didnt budge for 2-3 weeks then I started eating more calories every other day and the scale started moving again!
  • mazzmoo
    mazzmoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Now. I lost 2stone in just under 2months and have plataeued for over the last month.
    I just keep plugging away hoping it will come off soon :)
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    I was so confused when i clicked on this xD Thought my comments disappeared! Did you read my last comment?

Yeah I did, hehe; I responded on the other thread :P. Sorry haha
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    So most people are saying they reached a plateau when they were close to their goal...or after they had lost a good amount of weight. This just seems so weird to me stop after only 9 lbs from my starting weight. Argh :-/
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It does tend to happen about 7-10 pounds for me (I was losing before I joined MFP .. so I'm down about 25 now). Eating more calories and slowing down the workouts for a few days seems to speed up the process of getting out of it. (Unfortunately, a week or so goes by before I realize I'm in a plateau, so it takes 2-3 weeks to get out of it.) Some of it really is your body adding density ... but everyone is different.

Tracking on here should help you recognize the pattern and be able to predict them coming and experiment with what works for you to get out of it
  • fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    My weight loss is completely irregular and drives me close to insanity lol... Sometimes I don't lose anything for three weeks then lose on the following week, then back to losing nothing for 2 weeks again.. I have no idea why this happens when my eating and exercise is consistent.

Im trying to eat more this week but I always feel so guilty afterwards.. Try upping your calories too maybe by about 200-400 it sounds like it helps pretty much everyone get unstuck whilst in a plateau..

Goodluck!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am in my first one right now and going crazy. I started in June of this year, so it's been 5 months and I have lost 36lbs. I was down 39lbs a few weeks ago but gained 3lbs back for some reason and now I can't lose them or anything else. I still have over 40lbs to lose so I am not close to my goal yet. I am trying really hard not go just give up.
  • fightingforfiftyfive
    Options
    So most people are saying they reached a plateau when they were close to their goal...or after they had lost a good amount of weight. This just seems so weird to me stop after only 9 lbs from my starting weight. Argh :-/

Nope not me!!! I started like 2 months ago and plateaued early on, I have also read on here people saying they didn't lose anything for the first 2 months..
  • lindzmt22
    Options

Nope not me!!! I started like 2 months ago and plateaued early on, I have also read on here people saying they didn't lose anything for the first 2 months..

Oh okay cool, I am not alone...lol
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The 30DS may have caused your weight loss to stall, not because you're building muscle (it doesn't happen that fast) but because your sore muscles are retaining water and glycogen as part of the post workout recovery process. If so, then it's a self limiting thing that will balance itself out in the end, so it's not the sort of plateau you need to worry about.

Also, are you eating back your exercise calories in addition to the 1200? If not, it would be a good idea to start. I'd eat at least half for starters. If you are eating back your exercise calories, it's possible that you're overestimating the burn and that it's eroding your calorie deficit. That happened to me in the beginning, though I never quite hit a plateau because of it. The rate of loss just slowed down for a while until I worked out what the problem was and corrected it.
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    The 30DS may have caused your weight loss to stall, not because you're building muscle (it doesn't happen that fast) but because your sore muscles are retaining water and glycogen as part of the post workout recovery process. If so, then it's a self limiting thing that will balance itself out in the end, so it's not the sort of plateau you need to worry about.

Also, are you eating back your exercise calories in addition to the 1200? If not, it would be a good idea to start. I'd eat at least half for starters. If you are eating back your exercise calories, it's possible that you're overestimating the burn and that it's eroding your calorie deficit. That happened to me in the beginning, though I never quite hit a plateau because of it. The rate of loss just slowed down for a while until I worked out what the problem was and corrected it.

THANK YOU for this response. That makes sense to me. Yes I'm eating back my exercise cals. I'm going to invest in heart monitor and make sure my calories burned are accurate...that should help (I hope?).
  • ziggylove
    Options
    I hit my first real one today as I am the exact same weight as a week ago. I only have about 5 pounds to go too. It is a bit disconcerting, but at least it didn't go up! I'm thinking it's because I ate a bit more than usual this week and also did not exercise as much. So I plan to be more careful this week..
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    mine seems to go in spurts around my cycle... like i will have no loss for a week, then all of a sudden 3 lbs are gone etc.. then i gain like 2 during, then that sheds plus another one etc.. i agree too with the above poster, mine also stalled a bit when i started lifting..i think i was 2 weeks into the 30DS with seeing little to no change on the scale.. also do you ever have a cheat day? once a week i treat myself to something delish, a latte and a croissant or something..nothing too extravagant.. i don't actually understand why but it helps me lose more too :D
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all. It helps me a lot. :) Every now and then I will have a cheat day, but not too often.
  • bramel33
    Options
    I hit plateaus every week or two, then my body will compensate for it the next week. My recommendation is to stick with your routine and add a small amount of dairy back into your diet. Non fat diary actually helps a lot with weight loss, so maybe try adding yogurt or skim milk back in every day. Just keep it up and don't get discouraged, the weight will come off soon!