feeling discouraged

Options
I've been watching the biggest loser and there's a few girls who were 250ish down to 130ish in about 5 months! Watching it discourages me cuz its taken me so long to lose less than 40 lbs

Replies

• cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    But you have lost 40lb, that is heaps.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You aren't working out 8 hours a day and eating food that is diuretic. After researching the show and how people lose that much weight in that short a period of time, I can no longer watch it. They aren't all permanent success stories.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    They're working out 6 hours a day, not hydrating properly, and eating a carefully-regimented diet that is planned and monitored by professionals. Their weight loss is also difficult to maintain because it's so rapid.

You're doing it the healthy way, not the flashy, reality-tv-drama way. Good for you. :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! It takes different people different lengths of time to lose the same amount of weight. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how hard you are trying or even with what you're eating. 40lbs IS heaps! You should be proud! :)

Besides, losing over 100lbs in 5 months isn't always the best or healthiest way to go! They say the faster you lose, the faster you will gain it back. <3
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That show is not realistic and is not being done in the real world! I am sure if you had nothing else to and trainers working you out for hours and hours every day, it would be different. Be proud of your accomplishments! Forty pounds is awesome and you are doing fabulous!
    P.S. As you are feeling discouraged, there are many people looking up to you for what YOU have already accomplished!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone. They've had trainers and nutritionists pushing them every step of the way. Once they lose those, they may or may not keep the weight off. You're learning how to do this for life. I'll take slow and steady to fast any day.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Those gals are in control condition with Jillian watching over their backs, dieticians and doctors on call looking after them. You are in 'real life' condition. 40 pounds is amazing - I love to trade place with you. :wink:
  • RockAShelley
    RockAShelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Those girls aren't living in the REAL world. they have someone making their meals for them, getting them up and out to exercise 2 or 3x a day, constantly pushing them. What they dont show are the participants who gain as much as 60lbs BACK after they leave the show. Be proud of yourself for doing it on your own, having the strength to get up every day and keep pushing forward with what your doing. Who cares if it takes 5 months or 15 months the point is that your doing it and your doing it right!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    TV shows are not reality!
    You are doing great. The girls on TV have a whole staff of people helping them along: trainers, therapists, nutritionists, personal cooks, massage therapists, private instructors and who knows what else. You have come this far by your own hard work.
    Be proud of your strength.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the contestants on that show are basically living an unnatural life that bears no resemblance to the life they left.. They are exercising for hours a day, not working, not taking care of family, etc., and their JOB is to lose weight. Look how often they struggle when they go home, and if you google them for "where are they know" stories, some of them regain the weight they lost. Their weight loss experience is nothing like that of "normal" people.

More realistic sources of motivation are the people on MFP who have persisted in losing weight over a realistic period of time. I am losing very slowly, but I am also making decisions that are helping me adapt to this approach for the long term, not to produce quick results but will be difficult to maintain because I haven't learned new life skils to maintain the loss.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The longer it takes, more likely that it will stay off
    You will develop a new life style
    You will learn what works, not a fad
    It's not. A diet it's a life style
    It's taken me three years to lose 20 pounds, I have 20 more to go

I gained it over 25 years, but just like everyone else I want to lose it in 25 days

Get inspired by biggest loser, but realize what works for you and just do right by your body

Be kind to yourself and acknowledge your hard work and determination!

Not everyone can lose 40 pounds
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the motivation :) I did google where the winners are at now and I was so surprised to see that the majority (90%) of them gained some form of weight back. There was one contestant who weighed 170ish at the finale but then now they're at 330lbs!

I know its a tv show and I guess I got caught up in it haha. Though I do realize that I like watching it when Im on the elliptical because when I see them training, I cycle a little bit faster lol