Body Media PLEASE Feedback would be great!!

Options
Hello MFP Members,

I was recently looking into the Body Media Core armband and display, basically as a motivator and also to track accurate calories and sleeping patterns. Does anyone own a Body Media Device. I really would love some honest real feedback before I spend all the money and find out it was not that great. Thank you soo much!.

Desiree : )

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I used it. It took a bit to get use to it. I was self-conscious about wearing it... you have to wear it on your upper arm, and unless you are wearing long sleeves, we'll it's there for all to see.

It did help though. Having it always there made me think twice about whether I wanted to take the stairs or the elevator, whether I wanted to park up close, or park out in the boon-docks and walk. Plus, there's that constant pressure on your arm. It reminds you that you're trying to lose weight, so you make healthier choices at meal times too.

I think the calorie tracker was accurate... but I don't have any independent way to verify that. It gave me pretty different numbers than the numbers I'd get from the treadmill or whatever. The numbers from the bodymedia tended to be lower... so... I'd use the lower numbers, but I really just don't know which ones were right.

It doesn't read biking or recumbent biking very well in terms of exercise. I have no idea why. When I would go to the gym and use either the stationary upright bike or recumbent bike, it didn't show any increase in burn besides what I'd get from a leisurely walk even though I was working a lot harder than I do on a walk.

Other wise... I liked it.

However... I didn't re-sub. I don't like that you have to keep paying for the services... and the armband is useless without a subscription to the body media website. You can't see how many calories you've burned.

I hope that helps.
  • DBiggs23
    Options
    I used it. It took a bit to get use to it. I was self-conscious about wearing it... you have to wear it on your upper arm, and unless you are wearing long sleeves, we'll it's there for all to see.

It did help though. Having it always there made me think twice about whether I wanted to take the stairs or the elevator, whether I wanted to park up close, or park out in the boon-docks and walk. Plus, there's that constant pressure on your arm. It reminds you that you're trying to lose weight, so you make healthier choices at meal times too.

I think the calorie tracker was accurate... but I don't have any independent way to verify that. It gave me pretty different numbers than the numbers I'd get from the treadmill or whatever. The numbers from the bodymedia tended to be lower... so... I'd use the lower numbers, but I really just don't know which ones were right.

It doesn't read biking or recumbent biking very well in terms of exercise. I have no idea why. When I would go to the gym and use either the stationary upright bike or recumbent bike, it didn't show any increase in burn besides what I'd get from a leisurely walk even though I was working a lot harder than I do on a walk.

Other wise... I liked it.

However... I didn't re-sub. I don't like that you have to keep paying for the services... and the armband is useless without a subscription to the body media website. You can't see how many calories you've burned.

I hope that helps.

yes this does help. I really appreciate your response. so would you suggest buying it? I am really mixed between a Heart rate monitor and Body Media. of course a HRM is little more reasonably priced but I just want something that is effective for me. Thank you !!!!
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I bought one in July and I love it. I have found the burn rates also to be quite different that the machines at the gym or the burn amounts listed here on MFP BUT I also found that using a HRM gave me very different readings (much closer to the BodyMedia) too. PROS: easy as pie to use. Put it on and wear it. You can wear it all the time except when in pool, shower, bath so you get an accurate, around the clock burn reading. You don't have to worry about the band not reading like an HRM and in my opinion it is much more comfortable than an HRM. When you want the data, you simply plug it into your computer and a few seconds later your website is all updated. CONS: Monthly subscription fee to use the website (however I was able to purchase a 12mo sub for about 1/2 price on ebay). I have the bluetooth model but when you sync that way it doesn't upload everything...only some of the info. No idea why. Also I've had tons of trouble syncing (I have iphone 3GS) and I've pretty much given up on it and just do it manually. Because it is visible, there are LOTS of people that question what it is and can be kind of annoying.

I would repurchase knowing what I know now. I trust it. I feel naked without it!!! Funny...I can get up in the morning and get dressed and go downstairs and forget my glasses next the bed...but NEVER forget my armband.
  • DBiggs23
    Options
    I bought one in July and I love it. I have found the burn rates also to be quite different that the machines at the gym or the burn amounts listed here on MFP BUT I also found that using a HRM gave me very different readings (much closer to the BodyMedia) too. PROS: easy as pie to use. Put it on and wear it. You can wear it all the time except when in pool, shower, bath so you get an accurate, around the clock burn reading. You don't have to worry about the band not reading like an HRM and in my opinion it is much more comfortable than an HRM. When you want the data, you simply plug it into your computer and a few seconds later your website is all updated. CONS: Monthly subscription fee to use the website (however I was able to purchase a 12mo sub for about 1/2 price on ebay). I have the bluetooth model but when you sync that way it doesn't upload everything...only some of the info. No idea why. Also I've had tons of trouble syncing (I have iphone 3GS) and I've pretty much given up on it and just do it manually. Because it is visible, there are LOTS of people that question what it is and can be kind of annoying.

I would repurchase knowing what I know now. I trust it. I feel naked without it!!! Funny...I can get up in the morning and get dressed and go downstairs and forget my glasses next the bed...but NEVER forget my armband.

thank you so much for all the great information. I was thinking of buying the Body media CORE that they just came out with and also the display so i dont have to sync in order to see my information. I seen it online for around 230 for the whole kit. Do you think this is a good price?? Thank you again!!!!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I personally would not buy it for that price... but that's me on my tight budget. At this stage in the game, I'd be more inclined to hire a personal trainer and get serious about working out if I had extra money.

BUT that doesn't mean you'll regret dropping that kind of cash. It's really about you and where you're at mentally/physically.

I don't actually know how much I paid for mine. It was part of a Jenny Craig package. I gave up on Jenny Craig - I found I'd rather do my own meals and eat 1500 calories than do their meals and eat only 1200 calories- but I kept using the body media band until my subscription ran out. I liked it.

I would probably still be using it, but I moved to California and my budget has gotten really tight. I just can't afford it, but if I could, I'd likely re-subscribe.

E-bay sounds like a great idea.
  • lovetheweighitfeels
    Options
    I am going to buy it in two weeks and I am SO looking forward to having a constant reminder and a motivator that I am on this new lifestyle for years to come. I have heard GREAT things about it, and if you subscribe for a year it is 6.95 a month which you pay monthly and not a one time. I know people who have lost 50 or more pounds with it and would never want to resort to not knowing their accurate burns and being accountable for themselves daily. It is A MUST buy if you are looking for extra motivation daily, also I am SO glad that I can buy the body media core because it is SO much smaller, it doesn't have the bluetooth instant sync capabilities yet, but I don't mind downloading the information to my computer at night.

I say it is worth the money.
  • atldrew
    atldrew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My wife's subscription ran out after a 6-month trial with Jenny Craig and the band is now useless. (shows NO data) I personally do not like that AT ALL. I have a fitbit and used the API to connect with MFP. The Fitbit doesn't have a heart rate monitor but still does a decent job of giving me credit for steps and stairs and is a LOT more discrete than the armband.