Your 'ideal' measurements or 'ideal' weight?

Options
Hi, :)

I started using MyFitnessPal after my 4th round of IVF treatment to budge the comfort eating and medication weight I'd gained. I've lost 16 pounds so far and I was aiming to lose another 3lbs and then see how I felt.

I measured myself at the start and haven't done so again until tonight. I was 38 28 38 and now I am 35 27 35 (inches).

Basically I'm feeling a little deflated because, whilst I'm proud to have dropped a dress size and I'm feeling much happier with myself, I was always very pleased to be an hourglass shape and now apparently I'm not. I suppose I was naive and thought the weight would lose equally from all over.

Are there exercises or ways to shrink my waist a couple of inches without shrinking my hips?

Are measurements more important to you than what the scales are saying?

I'm 5 ft 6 with a small frame if that helps.

Thank you.

(First ever post...please be gentle. ; ) )

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You're still an hourglass, smaller waist and chest and hip are the same (or similar). It doesn't usually come off equally all over that's for sure, if I could lose the last 10lbs at will I'd take it almost all off my middle.

I am an hourglass under this though and I can see it more and more again. How clothes fit and I FEEL I look are more important than scale or tape measurements to me though, especially now 1 year and 2 months into this :D

My goal now isn't my all time "Best weight/measurements" Because that's not realistic for me anymore, I'm not 17 or 18 anymore (LOL). So it's a healthy weight.

Strength training really makes a difference on toning and helping measurements be where we want them too! It has made a huge difference for me!
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think this is a matter of perception. You've lost 8 percent of your bust and hips measurements, and 4 percent of your waist. Those aren't exactly equal, of course, but they're close. To my simple mind, if your figure was "hourglass" before, it's "hourglass" now. On a smaller scale, of course, but that's what you're after, right?

Hey, 35-27-35 sounds absolutely breathtaking to me!
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Melizard - Good point about age! I'm going to have to accept that my body has been through a lot the past few years, I'm probably never going to get back to what I was 10 years ago either. I really want to start upping my strength training instead of doing cardio all the time. If anyone has any recommendations for dvd's or exercises I could do at home that'd be great.

James - Thank you! :) I hadn't worked the percentages out, that sounds a lot more than I'd realised.

Thank you for your replies. x
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    FIRST OF ALL: You look amazing in your profile picture and your measurements are definitely healthy.

I'm 5'10" with a large frame.

When I started - much, much heavier than I am now (well over 100 lbs difference), my measurements were 51" chest / 45.5" waist / 54" Hips

I've been at goal now for a couple of months and am now 39" Chest / 27.5" Waist / 38" Hips

I was pretty fortunate that I became more of an hourglass than I was to start with, but it does make clothes fit funny sometimes when they aren't made for people with quite so extreme curves.

I was never worried about being a specific size or having specific measurements, I just wanted to be healthy. That being said, I do wish my chest had shrunk a bit more!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    im 5'8 about 34-25-34 too thin in my opinion.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight is anywhere between 155 and 170
    Well see when I get there :)
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Wow you look amazing Corylda! Congrats at reaching your goal. :)
    Yes clothes have always been a pain to buy. Especially jeans and trousers.

Oh and thank you for the compliment. :) That was before all the IVF treatment. I'm back at that size now I think.
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Barbie - You think your measurements are too thin? They sound great to me. Just goes to show it's all subjective. I think a lot has to do with frame size and how weight sits on each person.

Good luck Trisha!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I think most of us think we are bigger than we actually are.

I look at people who have the same measurements as me and wonder... wtf??? I am way bigger than them!! ...LOL
  • Tardis17
    Options
    I think most of us think we are bigger than we actually are.

I look at people who have the same measurements as me and wonder... wtf??? I am way bigger than them!! ...LOL

This is very true. It's really easy to get fixated on numbers too. I still really want that middle number to say 25 though. There's no pleasing some people. lol
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I just took my measurements last night, actually! I'm currently at 36-27.5-37, I'd love to see 2 more inches off everything ideally (okay, except bust, that really doesn't need to go down anymore), but I know I've got to step up my exercise routine before that happens. I'm only a few pounds from my goal weight, but would love to eventually get my waist to about 25, the other measurements can go where they'd like.
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Sorry to kind of bump my own post but before I go and eat a pint of Ben &Jerry's to gain my hourglass shape back ;) Am I right in thinking that strength training rather than cardio would help tone my thighs and shoulders more and get the ratio back?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Sorry to kind of bump my own post but before I go and eat a pint of Ben &Jerry's to gain my hourglass shape back ;) Am I right in thinking that strength training rather than cardio would help tone my thighs and shoulders more and get the ratio back?
    You really can't "Spot reduce" or "spot increase" - you will lose where your body wants to lose - that being said, strength training is a great way for you to gain muscle, which will make you - whatever your measurements may be - look much stronger and more fit.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    My 'ideal' weight and measurements = HEALTHY ones (whatever they may be --just not where I am now)
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    well im currently 36-31-35 (not exactly happy about that lol) but it used to be alot worse, id ideally like to be 34-27-34 (its just more of the way im shapped im never gonna be even close to an hourglass)
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    my ideal weight is 118 :) so close but yet so far :(
    and you look great!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    How is 35-27-35 not hourglass? It' the very definition of it.

\
    / 35
    ..|
    |.. 27
    /
    \ 35

Looks like an hourglass to me!

:drinker:
  • Tardis17
    Options
    Corylda - I've definitely been neglecting the strength training side of things and some toning up won't go amiss. :) Thank you.

Katie - That still sounds like a nice curvy shape to be.

Lizzie - Thank you! :) Good luck reaching your goal. You've come so far I'm 100% you'll achieve it.

McKay - Hahaha! That made me laugh! I suppose technically there should be a ten inch difference between the waist and hips. I was being a silly mare and getting hung up on a number. ;-)

Thank you for all the replies, they've really reassured me. ( I was being daft!) I've decided that I'll concentrate on toning up my body as it is now. Increase strength training to get healthier and fitter rather than worrying about a single number. :)
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    HEIGHT: 5'9", large-frame, hourglass shape

Pre MFP: 46"-40"-49.5" / dress size 18/20
    Starting MFP: 43.5"-38.5"-47" / dress size 16/18
    Current: 42"-36"-45" / dress size 14/16
    Goal: to get my waist down to 30" / dress size 12

And I agree - it can be difficult to find clothes that fit properly over such pronounced curves! I buy a lot of custom-made clothing (while expensive, I like saving up and treating myself - I don't shop a lot).
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Numbers are just numbers. Look at how strong and energized you feel throughout the day. Look at how hard you can push your body in exercise. Look at how your clothes fit you. Compare that with how those things were before you were exercising/eating right. Look at how you look to both yourself (be honest! not how you want to look but how you look NOW) and others.

At the extremes, tremendously over or under weight, it does to some extent just become about losing or gaining the weight you need. However, when you're in or near a healthy range for your body, there are so many more measurements and important critereon that come into play. Fixating on only one aspect, be it your weight or your measurements or how much you can lift in one specific exercise (yes...I'm talking to you annoying grunting guy at my gym in high school that always used to bench like 18,000 lbs more than me but had little chicken legs and looked like a sad version of Johnny Bravo) you risk missing the bigger picture of your overall health, physical fitness, and general wellness.