Favorite workout videos?

Options
I just started a few days ago. All my exercising is going to be done at home. I like working out to videos, it's easy because I can do them anytime I want and I don't have to think about child care for my kids (I'm a stay at home mom) and no one can see me (except my family, of course).

I have some Cathe Friedrich step aerobic dvd's that I like but I'm not quite in shape enough to use them right now.
I also have a Leslie Sansone walk at home video that I love, it has 5 different miles and I've been doing one mile per day so far. I'll combine miles as I get in shape enough to do more than one at a time.
I like the dvd, but I don't want it to be the only thing I do.

I want other ideas for cardio videos (but they can't be advanced, I'm not at that kind of level right now) and I need something for strength training too.
I have only done cardio so far, you should do cardio and strength training for optimal results, right?
What exactly is strength training? Lifting weights? Pilates would probably fall under that category too, right?

I do like pilates. I have the Winsor Pilates set and they are ok, I think I would like a different pilates dvd with a different instructor, the ones I have are nice but I'm tired of them and I want something else.

I need something more for a beginner since I'm so out of shape and can't do tons yet, but I also don't want it to be too easy either, maybe beginner to intermediate.

What would you recommend?

Replies

• amberlynn03
    amberlynn03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love flirty girl fitness!!!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping for videos.
    Right now my favorite is the PCD-Dancers Body Workout :D You get to dance the same moves as they do in the videos and it really gets you sweaty :D But anything dance based is fun.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    This is what I did as a beginner at 260 pounds: EA Sports Active for the Wii (if you have it), Celebrity Fit Club Boot Camp (it was really challenging, but it's whole body), and anything Biggest Loser. BL has cardio and strength, which is good because you need both for the best results. After I'd lost some weight (about 30-40 lbs), I found Turbo Jam. The 5 Rockin Workouts set has the intro, a 20 minute cardio workout, a 40 minute cardio (I couldn't do all 40 at first..do what you can and build slowly), a 40 minute strength, and a 20 minute abs. Super fun, super effective. Then when I got a little lighter and a little more advanced, I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred followed by Ripped In 30. At this point, I also started running with the c25k program. Now I'm doing Turbo Fire and ChaLEAN Extreme.

Strength training generally means lifting weights, but you can use resistance bands, as well, or anything with a little heft to it (water jugs, for example). Hope this overly explanatory post about what I've done up to this point is at least somewhat helpful! :smile:
  • paravision
    Options
    TurboJam, and TurboFire! get it!
  • 007DIVA
    007DIVA Posts: 12
    Options
    My friend suggested the Dr Oz 15 minute work out which can be found online. it's easy but I can feel it working my muscles.
  • Hericksen
    Hericksen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks! These are sounding good so far!
    What kind of exercise category do they fall under? I'm never sure what to put.
    For My Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video, I've been entering in "aerobics, general".
    Are all these kind of cardio workouts considered that as well?
    I know videos are all different, I have a hard time thinking they all burn the same amount of calories (during the same amount of time).
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I use Leslie Sansone also. I am able to do up to 4 miles. I think The Biggest Loser also has a walking DVD. Like you I'm looking for other alternatives. But Leslie is the gal for me. I have four of her DVD's and just keep swapping them around. Good luck and if you come across something that isn't too hard but effective please let me know. I'm 54 years old and not quite in the best of shape yet. I still have more weight to lose and need to continue to build my stamina. Take good care :flowerforyou: Sue
  • SusanWinters
    Options
    If you life to Dance try Hip Hop Abs It really helps work your core without doing sit ups or crunches... It is easy to do and fun. you can probably find it used online.
  • Hericksen
    Options
    I use Leslie Sansone also. I am able to do up to 4 miles. I think The Biggest Loser also has a walking DVD. Like you I'm looking for other alternatives. But Leslie is the gal for me. I have four of her DVD's and just keep swapping them around. Good luck and if you come across something that isn't too hard but effective please let me know. I'm 54 years old and not quite in the best of shape yet. I still have more weight to lose and need to continue to build my stamina. Take good care :flowerforyou: Sue

Which of her dvd's do you have?
    I have the 5 day slim down and I have 5 fat burning miles but I haven't used the 5 fat burning miles at all yet.
    I've been doing one mile each time I work out. I'm starting to feel like I could keep going at the end of a mile but I don't think I'm ready for two miles at a time yet.
  • andforpoise
    Options
    Youtube 8 minute abs... really cheesy video from the early 90s...and everytime the guy says "ok gang" I want to hit him...but you can feel the burn! Theres also an arms, legs, and buns version :)
  • Hericksen
    Options
    These are all sounding good. I think I'm going to have to ask for workout videos for Christmas this year!

Does anyone have a favorite strength training video, or pilates?
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    For My Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video, I've been entering in "aerobics, general".
    I know videos are all different, I have a hard time thinking they all burn the same amount of calories (during the same amount of time).
    It depends on what you do. If you do something that has both strength and cardio in the same workout, it's circuit training (generally speaking). If you do Turbo Jam, most people log it under kick boxing. If you go for a walk, obviously log it as a walk (same for running and riding a bike). The best way to do it, though, is to get a heart rate monitor (they can be inexpensive) and create your own category..that's what I do. It's the most accurate.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump. Need info for later...No time to read right now...
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Crazy as it sounds....I LOVE Richard Simmons videos. He is HILARIOUS and I burn good calories!! Plus you get to workout to fun music!! "Big Girls Dont Cry" My hubby does it along with me! We have already bought 2 and do them every day!! Have fun! You can really lose your inhibitions doing videos at home, which leads to better burn!
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred...
  • Hericksen
    Options
    It depends on what you do. If you do something that has both strength and cardio in the same workout, it's circuit training (generally speaking). If you do Turbo Jam, most people log it under kick boxing. If you go for a walk, obviously log it as a walk (same for running and riding a bike). The best way to do it, though, is to get a heart rate monitor (they can be inexpensive) and create your own category..that's what I do. It's the most accurate.

I've seen heart rate monitors mentioned a lot here. I just looked some up on Amazon, I was expecting them to be really expensive but I see one for just $40, that's not too bad. How exactly do they work? They tell you how many calories you actually burned? How do you know which ones are good and which ones aren't?
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Which of her dvd's do you have?
    I have the 5 day slim down and I have 5 fat burning miles but I haven't used the 5 fat burning miles at all yet.
    I've been doing one mile each time I work out. I'm starting to feel like I could keep going at the end of a mile but I don't think I'm ready for two miles at a time yet.

You'll be able to do 2 miles. Just don't do any of her high impact boosts yet. I do the 5 mile fat burning and she offers 2 minute high aerobic boosts at the end of each mile. It took me a while to be able to do them but I can now. Each mile is only 12 minutes. I sent you a message with a friend request. I hope to hear from you. The best of luck to you :happy:
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love flirty girl fitness!!!

^^^^FGF I've done that too!

I also am doing the wii EA Active 2. I've found some good stuff on youtube also. I've done belly dancing from videos on youtube.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Look better naked is the one i've been using. I really like it. It has a metabolic workout and a stregnth workout, each 30 minutes long. I like to do it when I can't get to the gym, and let me tell you, but the ime I'm done i'm sweaty amd tired.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    These are all sounding good. I think I'm going to have to ask for workout videos for Christmas this year!

Does anyone have a favorite strength training video, or pilates?

ChaLEAN Extreme! It has a good amount of variety and you can either use resistance bands or dumbbells. There is always someone to watch at all levels.