What am I missing?

Options
xLyric
xLyric Posts: 840 Member
Could someone take a look at my diary and tell me, nutrition-wise, anything of importance that I'm lacking? Please note:

1. Tomorrow's entry is the one to look at. I am going to repeat this every day. (Change a few things every now and then, but it's easier for me this way.)
2. I'm a vegetarian, please don't suggest meat.
3. I'm not trying for super healthy here. I'm going more for quick, cheap, and easy. I'm not terribly worried about preservatives.
4. It's not finished, so please no "OMG you're under 1200 you'll DIE" posts. :flowerforyou:

I think I'm going to add a can a vegetables a day (like a can of spinach, green beans, etc.). That will add around 90-100 calories. Should I start a multi-vitamin also?

Replies

• complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    fresh fruits and veggies are definitely needed.

also you should take a multivitamin...there are things that your body will be lacking if you don't.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I would definitely add fresh vegetables and fruit. I would stay away from the canned stuff, it's usually loaded with salt. I think fresh would be so much better for you. Good luck on your journey to a healthier life style.....
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i'd ditch the bagel, you can have a whole meal for 260
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    In addition to the veggies, protein and good fats. Don't eat too many fruits, it's still sugar.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you can't do fresh fruit and vegetable, I would suggest going with frozen over canned. You could get plain or even steamer bags that have a light sauce.

Seems that you're lacking protein too, so more whole grains, beans, or veggie meats?
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say yes on the vitamin, I take a women's one a day with 2 fish oil tablets and one calcium tablet a day.

Also, I'm about 90% vegetarian. I like the morningstar burgers with a whole wheat bun some organic ketchip and hummus. This is about 350 calories. I also make spaghetti with whole grain noodles and add soy beans for protein, along with peppers, onions, asparagus, and garlic. Then I also like to make stir-fry, with fresh veggies is best over frozen, but frozen are okay, just not as healthy. When I make my stir-fry I use brown rice and tofu.

Fresh fruits and veggies are really great too usually a fuji apple has 80-90 cal and a banana has about 110 cal. Also most non -starchy veggies are really low in cal so you can eat a lot of them. I like to have a spring mix salad and cucumbers.

I hope these ideas help you.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    What's your age, height and weight? Also how much do you exercise?
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    alive by nature's way is a great supplement... but also eat things like almonds and sunflower seeds (pumpkin seeds etc)... they are a bit high in the calories, but have the really good fat that help you lose weight, and they have protein... I have been a vegetarian for 12 years and they do good for me... and 1200 calories isn't bad... I shoot for 1200 to 1500 Net every day now (though when I started I was still at like 3000 - boy things change in a short time... another great thing is seaweed. hope it helps
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What's your age, height and weight? Also how much do you exercise?

21 (in a few days), 5'9''ish, 209. I don't exercise very much at all. We just got a Kinect and I've been playing on that a bit. I want to start the c25k again, I just need to get over my running in public phobia.

Also, thanks, everyone! I'll add some veggies and fruit and a vitamin, see if I can fit some protein in there and see how it goes. I really appreciate it!
  • MsLadybug
    Options
    You don't have a lot of protein going on. I'm also vegetarian. I find that if I don't have enough protein or its way out of balance with the carbs that I am hungry all day. How about some Tofu, boca burgers or other veggie protein substitute, beans or nuts?

I also agree grabbing a piece of fruit or a salad or some steamed veggies with round out your menu.