**CLOSED** New Year, New You Week 3 Mini-Challenge

Options
I have gotten quite a few great ideas for mini-challenges...please keep them coming!

This week the request was for us to get a little mental. So, there are a couple of things we are going to reflect on this week.

1) Most of us are horrible about being positive about ourselves and our appearance. So, part 1 is, positive affirmation time. What is one physical trait that you like about your body? Not your eyes, your smile...the body that we are trying to improve...what do you like about it now.

2) What is something that you have noticed has changed about your mental state over the last week or two?

For those who are brave...a positive affirmation a day would be great. I know it's hard to "like" ourselves or we wouldn't be here!!!

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll start! My positive affirmation...something I like about my body...this one is tough for me. I don't see anything positive when I look in the mirror. I do like how I am starting to look in clothes. I haven't done measurements in a super long time but I can tell that some of my clothes are starting to fit me differently! That is actually a great thing. When I can put on a dress that fit before but was close to being in my "not today" wardrobe and it is looser and I feel better in it...that puts a HUGE smile on my face!

Second, a way I think differently. This one is a little easier. I joined a Halloween Challenge which ends next week and I started this challenge halfway through. I noticed throughout the two challenges that I feel different about my eating and my whole drive about being healthier!!! I weigh myself every day to keep myself on track mentally. I have had days where I step on the scale and the number goes up...and I certainly would've given up in the past. A simple .2 gain in the past has ended any desire I had to lose weight. I've given up so many times. I've had 2.0 pound gains and the only thing they did was kick me in the hiney and make me work harder. It's completely different for me. My whole mindset is different. I'm doing it this time. The support group that I have here is making such a huge difference in my life!!!
  • sabrinabarry78
    sabrinabarry78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :happy: :laugh: I'm liking that the clothes fit easier. My tops aren't stretched to the limit and feel a bit loose. I can see some curves now as I feel I've lost a bit of weight under the bust area so have a better shape.
    My mindset has changed too. During the weigh in last week I had gained back some weight and felt ready to quit but snapped myself out of it as I know its up to me to shift it no one else. I've been dragging the kids out with me for a power walk too and and make sure I'm getting my 2 miles or some exercise in everyday. Planning my meals so I can have foods I enjoy by having lighter meals other times of the day.
    I've lost 4kg since I joined mfp on the 28.09.11 so I was really happy when I jumped on the scales this morning and had to check a few times :)
    I'm feeling motivated. Would love to lose another 4kg by my birthday in the begining of Dec!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    :happy: :laugh: I'm liking that the clothes fit easier. My tops aren't stretched to the limit and feel a bit loose. I can see some curves now as I feel I've lost a bit of weight under the bust area so have a better shape.
    My mindset has changed too. During the weigh in last week I had gained back some weight and felt ready to quit but snapped myself out of it as I know its up to me to shift it no one else. I've been dragging the kids out with me for a power walk too and and make sure I'm getting my 2 miles or some exercise in everyday. Planning my meals so I can have foods I enjoy by having lighter meals other times of the day.
    I've lost 4kg since I joined mfp on the 28.09.11 so I was really happy when I jumped on the scales this morning and had to check a few times :)
    I'm feeling motivated. Would love to lose another 4kg by my birthday in the begining of Dec!

Wow, that's awesome! Isn't it great when you can see a difference in the clothes??? When is your birthday? I'm not good with conversions so you'll have to tell me what the equivalent is in pounds. I know we can help get you to those 4 pounds!!!
  • sabrinabarry78
    sabrinabarry78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    4kg is about 9lb. My birthday is 5th December so if I could loose another 9-10lb I would treat myself to something. Not sure what yet. A much needed massage for my legs! lol.Or even a new outfit. It feels good when you can see the pounds coming off after all that hard work and control over the eating!
    You've done really well too. I do like this challenge as I can push myself and fit the exercise in and everyone is very motivating.
  • genene111
    genene111 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Right there with you ladies ^^^ ! I love the support:) it's the first time I've ever confronted my insecurities in a public setting, and the challenge has made me feel accountable and honest about my body and feelings ,which is wonderful, thanks for the support everyone <3 that said... I'm starting to see definition in my cheekbones again:) honestly I'm soooo excited, I know... there cheek bones... but I find Its the simple difference of feeling cute ( chipmunk gathering nuts) vs sexy( not a nut gatherer)! Can't wait till I start noticing the clothes fitting nice:)
    We have a great group can't wait to start this week with you all:)!
    ~Gigi
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OK - physically I also will go with the "chubby cheeks" :) I think my face is one of the first places I see slimming occur. Now I just wish that would extend to my double chin!

Mentally - this is a really tough one. I was on a really good motivated "roll" since starting MFP in March 2011. I had been training to run a 10 mile run and was logging every morsel I ate - feeling really good about myself. Well, in August I got sick with meningitis and was hospitalized for 10 days. I lost 7 lbs because I basically couldn't eat. I came out of the hospital down a total of 27 lbs lost! Then I had to be on medication to keep from having headaches - one of the side effects is that it makes me hungry! So, long story short, I gained back the 7 lbs I lost in the hospital, plus an additional 3 lbs. I had put away all the baggy jeans after getting out of the hospital, and ended up having to go back and get a couple of pairs back out... very demoralizing. So I had stopped logging, stopped even trying to eat right. Then I saw this challenge and something "clicked" again. I'm a week into it and feeling motivated - lost 2.4 lbs this week. I'm starting to wean off the meds, so everything should start to be easier soon (I hope). I've also started training again, and logging the miles for the challenge.

This challenge came at EXACTLY the right time for me... both because I think I was finally ready to go for it again, and because we're taking a cruise over Christmas and I'd love to be able to feel good in a swim suit! Thanks!
  • JMcElrath23
    JMcElrath23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    #1 Well something I am liking about me so far... well the picture I posted as my new profile picture is it. We had to go to a wedding and I needed a dress so I was able to go to JCP and get that fantastic dress and it is a LARGE! :) It made me feel like a million dollars! Also loving my legs, its so cool to feel hard legs when you work out! No more flab! Well atleast alot LESS! :)

#2 Mentally... all of you commenting on my posts and being apart of this challenge has done wonders for my mental attitude. It has put me in "drive". Knowing I have more than one person that I am accountable to is what Helps me stay on track. Also something that was said, "You last chance workout on Sunday" that was running through my head all day yesterday and it kept me AWAY from the Pastry table at church! So seeing all that I am capable of doing the 5 miles I have challenged myself to do each time I workout is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment, knowing I CAN do anything I put my mind to.

So be encouraged in knowing that You are in Control of YOU and YOUR good decisions will make you better.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    1. Physical: I like that my body is an hourglass. No matter how heavy I am, I still have a defined waist. And as I lose weight, the shape becomes more pronounced.

2. Mental: I am becoming more aware of what I put into my mouth and I am more willing to make small changes and try new things. I don't restrict anything because deprivation ALWAYS backfires on me. Because of that, I'm more willing to "save the cookie for later" while eating some hummus and carrots instead. I know the cookie will still be there and nobody is going to tell me no, so I can let myself wait.
  • vegasaims
    vegasaims Posts: 128
    Options
    1) I am liking that my curves are more noticeable now that clothes are fitting a little better. :happy:

2) I am feeling more positive than usual. I have seen changes in myself and that makes me hopeful for the future!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    1. Something that I love about my physical body- I love my tummy. Yes... despite it being round and fat. I love my tummy. It is where my two beautiful children grew inside of me for 9 months.. it was their home. To hate that part of my body is to hate a part of them!

2. Attitude changes- I am figuring out how to have a workout in my limited amount of time. And workouts may not always be sweaty gym time. Sometimes, it may be running and playing ball with the kids. Also, I am saying NO a lot more these days. No to eating out. No to sitting on my duff at lunch. No to the breakroom treats.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1) My legs. No matter what size I am, or have been, my legs are the #1 best physical feature I've got. My eyes/smile could use some work, on account of having perpetual chipmunk cheeks, but my legs have always been killer. ^_^ Also, ridiculously strong - rock solid calves that don't fit into zip boots too well... Yeah. I still love 'em.

2) I'm taking things one day at a time. And trying to refocus. I need to do this for me. Regardless of what else is going on in life, I can't let this slide anymore, I *need* to do this.
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1. I like my feet! I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to all of you - but seriously, I have pretty feet and they get me where i want to go. I can ALWAYS find a beautiful pair of shoes to fit my feet and I never leave a shoe store feeling fat and ugly. Needless to say, I have a few too many shoes!!!

2. What I am thinking these days is: hmmm, this is totally doable. I keep imagining myself thinner and fitter, FEELING LIGHTER and that motivates me. I saw a woman at the Opening Night celebration of our show ( I work at a professional theatre company) wearing an outfit that I really liked. She looked great in it but instead of feeling miserable knowing I could not wear such a thing, I told myself "that's the kind of outfit I will wear when I am as thin as she is and I will look that good too". It was motivating and it was positive and I was not even tempted by the spring rolls at the buffet table. Ha!. It felt really good.
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    #1- I like that despite my weight its evenly dispersed all over my body. When I have lost weight in the past its comes off evenly...which makes it less noticeable at first but I know it’s coming off because of how my clothes fit all over.

#2- I'm quickly learning that I need to be more accountable for what I allow myself to eat. No one is forcing me to eat badly I do it to myself. I learning I can be in control of my future and man does that feel good! :happy:
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am liking how clothes are fitting better as well. I've had to go down a size in pants but I love how my dresses and tops look nicer on me. The muffin top and love handles are going away, making the mirror a little less scary.

I have noticed that my attitude is more positive lately. Things have been happening lately that I can choose to look at in a negative way but I have gotten stronger with my "cup half full" way of thinking. I believe this is due to my progress so far. I still have work to do but knowing that I've progressed lets me know what I can accomplish!

Have a great week ladies.
  • shellfey
    Options
    I like the fact that I have an hour glass figure. I realize that it is large, but still an hour glass. This is also what I enjoy about the first couple of weeks of weight loss, my waist gets smaller early on.

In the last 1-2 weeks I have held myself more accountable for eating and moving. That being said, I have also forgiven myself for giving up in July.
  • becschneider
    Options
    I like how I am getting fitter and I feel so much stronger, I can't wait to see a loss on the scales but until then i like that my fat is being replaced by muscle!! and i'm noticing a difference in my clothes too!! :happy:

Mentally I am very determined, I got sick of looking at myself in the mirror and in photos and remember how i was before i put on the weight, but now that i'm exercising 5 days a week and with this website learnt how to eat better and have support with people in the same boat I feel more positive and more determined to see this through!!
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    #1 - I love that I can feel the muscle in my legs! They are much stronger and a little less chunky than they were I think.

#2 - I am much more confident and I feel almost comfortable now in my 'skin' so to speak. Before (after having my baby) I just felt huge and clunky!! I didn't want to dress up or do anything. Now, I want to wear shape defining clothes and I just feel sexier I guess. :bigsmile: :blushing: Plus - I just realized this morning that I am only 10 1/2 pounds from my goal weight so I hope to make it there by the end of the year! That makes me feel so good!!
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've just started this challenge so I'm not at a place where I am seeing successes yet, but I still wanted to participate in this weeks challenge. This is not easy for me but I enjoy stretching my comfort level and look forward to continue doing so.

#1 I love that I feel more physically capable. I use to not be able to push myself hard on the cardio because I was so tired that I found it hard to push myself. Now I can push myself for the duration of my workouts and I feel more energetic because of that. I have spent so many years feeling fatigued that I am grateful for the added energy.

#2 What I have noticed about my mental state is that I am more focued and don't use my failure as much to beat myself up. I own up to my mistakes and move on and don't dwell on them as much.

I am thankful for all the support in the MFP universe, I find it has been crucial in my staying focused. :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I think it's great to see everyone's responses! So many different things we like about ourselves!

Keep up the great work everyone! Let's keep posting positive things!!!

For instance...I've started pushing myself and I love the way it feels. I'm exhausted after my walk at lunchtime but I have cut 4-5 minutes off of my walk the last 2 days. This is a Gretchen that I never knew existed. I never would've done this before!!! Sooooo exciting!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    #1 -physicaly im startn to like my butt lol i recently got into size 14 pants and anytime i try clothes on now i always check out my butt lol its not to big and not to small

#2- mentaly i have turned a corner on how i veiw food, i try to eat it slower , i read whats in things, how many calories things i used to eat are. its made me more aware of when i should have eaten ad wen i should hold back from eating untill the next meal time and instead just drink water.