any advice about the gym?

Options
So i've booked in for a 7 day free gym pass this week, i havent used the gym in around 5 years and even then i wasnt really serious and tended to fanny around there.

this time i want to use it properly and i want to get a good idea of whether i want to invest in a full time gym membership so this week i want to get the most use out of the gym i can.

so anyone got any advice on what i should do/use at the gym?

i'm thinking about doing the C25K week 1 or 2 on the treadmill and of couse i have access to their pool so i'll do a bit of swimming but further than that i'm stuck?

I think when i join the gym i get a first session with a PT but not whilst i'm on my 7 day pass.

thanks in advance

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    Are you planning on using some weights as well? If you have no experience with it I would start with mostly machines instead of free weights. Only because it makes it harder to not use the correct form. Right now i do one day of full body, one day of legs, and one day of arms.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    while i agree that you should use weights, instead of focusing on one group of muscles a day, why not work out all of them in one day??

Try alternating sets, meaning that you do legs first, then while you are resting inbetween your set of legs, you do a chest work out.
    Something like this:

■Lunges alternating with incline dumbbell presses, four sets each, one minute between sets.
    ■Wait a few minutes to catch your breath and get set for your next two exercises.
    ■Straight leg deadlifts alternating with wide-grip pull ups, four sets each, one minute between sets.

read this http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is save the money and don't join one :-) you can do ** everything ** and more with just the great outdoors,some decent running shoes and cheap weights! don't be suckered into their money grabbing contracts!
  • kimgodfrey001
    kimgodfrey001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm a regular gym goer- but I lapsed when my job changed and have just got back into it a month ago. You can get free advice from the instructors that work there- which I'd always reccomend, as they can work out your current level of fitness and what your body can cope with. I do 2 Body Pump classes a week (as I love it, but this is quite a hard class), I have a rest day or swim the next day, mid week I do either 30 mins cardio, or do a programme with weights which a gym instructor wrote for me that's circuit training, so alternating weights and cardio to keep my heart rate going the whole time.

Ultimately you need to enjoy what you do- I get bored after 30 mins of swimming, so I tend to do 1/2 hour cardio first, but 10 mins on each bit of equipment to keep it fresh and me motivated! Then swimming feels like a treat and stretches out my muscles.

If your body isn't used to excersise make sure you don't over do it, and the best way to keep motivated is to have fun!
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Does the gym have any classes? If so I'd recommend trying some out, I find them to be pretty motivational.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I use to do full body every time. By use to I mean last month :). But I have found through trial and error that my legs need a little more time to recover. If I wasn't doing cardio on most of the in between days then that wouldn't be the case. Also I found some interesting workout plans on a body building site, and that is how they are split up. But you are absolutely right it is possible and if you don't have the free time I do, probably better, to do full body every time.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    great comments thanks all.

I tried running outside but i find it hard to find a safe place to run around here, we live in the country so not a lot of pavements etc plus i tend to get my running bug during the winter (no idea why!).

I do use weights currently so i'll definatley use the weights machines at the gym, i do yoga and Jillian michaels dvd's at home and sometimes do the p90x workouts but i have to admit to wanting to use the gym to get out of the house sometimes for personal satisfaction (i'm a sahm with a part time job).
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have any classes? If so I'd recommend trying some out, I find them to be pretty motivational.

Agreed! I LOVE the classes at my gym, and it motivates me to get my butt there!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Definitely learn about proper weightlifting while you are there. Even on a free pass you could probably get some assistance without a full-scale PT session.