Will ladies gain too much muscles if they use 4kg dumbells f

Options
Will ladies gain too much muscles if they use 4kg dumbells for exercise? (4 Kg = 8.8 lbs)

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    no. you will not bulk up by using weights. you need to lift a lot a lot a lot to bulk up in the way you are thinking. lifting will help tone arms and may help define muscles, but it will not make you bulky.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    No way.

I lift way way more than that and I'm working my a** off to try and build some muscles. I wish it were so easy....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No!!!

I use 3 or 4.5kg dumbells, and you can see from my picture (i am in the middle) that i dont have arms like arnie!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    women simply do not have enough testosterone to produce large muscles, it requires more effort for them to get bulky like men do so do not worry, lifting for women should be a core addition to their weight loss program.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Women do not create the testosterone needed for major muscle growth, you can tone up and build some muscle, but you don't have to worry about getting bulked up. Also muscle mass comes from gradual, steady increases in weight so if you are just going to use an 8 pound weight and not increase it your muscles will get used to it after a while and won't have any reason to grow. Hope that makes sense.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I use weight machines at the gym (fear of dropping weights on my toes - I'm a klutz), and the minimum I do for upper body is 30# (so 15# per arm), and my arms only look a bit muscular if I'm flexing.

Even body builder women don't look bulky and bulgy when they're not pumped and flexed and all oiled up.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I use 25 and 30 pounds dumbbells and still no bullking happening
  • bddavis1
    Options
    No. My wife sometimes uses up to 30 lbs for curls. Here is a post I made on another topic about it (except they was talking about loose skin).

"There is hope… My wife was in the same situation. She lost 58 lbs, size 16 to size 6 and now weights 136 lbs. She had some lose skin and we researched it. If you are young, it may tighten up in time. However my wife was 45 and it wasn’t going to tighten much. So you have two options: Surgery to remove the skin (not recommended) or feel the skin with muscle. Most woman say right away… NO ! I don’t want to look like a man. Well, you can’t, you don’t have the testosterone it takes to get that big. If you worked as hard as you can to build muscle, you would never get that big. My wife began working out on weights and now looks great. You can see her before/after pictures on her site. www.advocarelife.net, click before/after on the left side. even one in a bikini (lol). She still would like to tighten more and she is working really hard on more muscle. This is all my just my opinion, but I say “fill with muscle”. My wife is cool about helping other reach their goals, feel free to email her questions if you like. Good luck and God Bless with your goals…

You can see her before/after pix at www.bobbydavis.net."
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No.
    It takes a long time and alot of hard work for men to gain extra muscle. A calories surplus. A training program specifically designed to gain mass. Women have it even harder as they don't have as much testosterone. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.
  • stacybee14
    stacybee14 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nope! You might find this article helpful.

http://cathe.com/5-reasons-women-should-lift-heavy-weights
  • nothingisred
    Options
    It seems to be a common misconception among women who want to lose weight (or maybe an excuse, I don't know!) that by doing a bit of weight lifting they will become 'too muscley.' The women you see with huge muscles have not accidentally stumbled upon looking like that, it is carefully calculated and a lot of specific work goes into getting into that sort of shape.

Weight lifting is a really good way to burn fat and define and tone muscles. Personally I found that doing just cardio was never anywhere near as effective as incorporating weight training into my exercise routine. At the moment I haven't lost a massive amount pounds wise but I've lost two inches from my waist and nearly 2% body fat where I'm converting fat into muscle, so it's important to remember that when weight training too I think.

But you definitely will not become too muscley, just lovely and toned.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yep, everyone here is right, you have to lift hard and heavy to build muscle like that. Most women can't put on more than a 1/2 of muscle a month, b/c we just don't have enough testosterone. I'm lifting heavy a lot and wish it were easier to add size. 15-25lbs dumbbells are my staples!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Will ladies gain too much muscles if they use ***X kg dumbells for exercise? (***X Kg = ***(X*2.2) lbs)

***X=Any amount of weight I can lift safely while not taking steroids or HGH or other pharmaceutical enhancements and eating a healthy and balanced diet for my current weight loss/gain desires.

I fixed your question, and the answer is still no
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies.. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Will ladies gain too much muscles if they use 4kg dumbells for exercise? (4 Kg = 8.8 lbs)
    You don't gain muscle from calorie deficit. To add muscle you need to add weight. To add weight you need to be in surplus.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Definitely not, it is EXTREMELY difficult for women to gain muscle, we just weren't made to be bulky, so lift it lady! Also read this, now http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure there is no such thing as "too much muscle" on a non-steroid using lady...
  • gailosborne
    Options
    No. I promise you!! I use up to 14kg dumbells and no bulking up just lovely definition and a killer right hook = )