Mongolian Grill at home!

Options
I wanted to share what I had for dinner last night! It was a great dinner party idea, soo fun and healthy!

Several of my friends came over for "HuHot Night", which is a mongolian grill in our area. If you have never eaten at a Mongolian grill, it's like this... You go through a buffet full of raw sliced meats (chicken, shrimp, beef, etc), noodles, and raw veggies. Everyone fills their bowl with stir-fry ingredients, goes to the sauce bar and ladels on some sauces (peanut, hot ginger, mild teriyaki etc). Then you hand the plate over to the people at the giant grill and they cook it up right in front of you. Since it's a buffet you can go up over and over and try lots of things.. very fun, but very unhealthy!

Our HuHot night at home was a little healthier. Everyone brought different veggies to share. We had fresh zucchini, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts, and other yummy veg. I provided the protein- chicken and tofu - and 3 different sauces. We skipped the rice and had a little noodle out (just ramen cooked and strained without the seasoning packet added).

I cooked the chicken using a ziplock microwave steam bag, sauted the tofu, and then chopped and steamed all the veggies as people showed up. Everyone had a great time helping out in the kitchen. By the time I was done, we had a counterful of colorful veg and some nice lean protein. Everyone filled their plate and brought it to the "grill" - me with a skillet and a wok. I tossed their stirfry in the wok/skillet with the sauce of their choice- lots of mixing and matching going on- and served it back up on their plates.

This was a great dinner party! There were only 6 of us, so it was fast and fun. Steaming the veg was key, so we didn't have to wait for anything to be cooked. It tasted just like the restaurant, but I know it was way healtier because I could limit the amount of oil and sauce for everyone. At the end, we took all the leftovers and tossed them into a wok together and I sent everyone home with leftovers.

If anyone else has tried this, let me know how it worked!

Replies

• babygirldrivesaford
    Options
    I have not tried it but I am super excited to. We have a place where I grew up called Hulas, I cannot hear any version of the word Hula without instantly craving it! Oh and super good idea of steaming the veg first. This is definately going on my to do ASAP list!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!!! I have only been to HuHot once, but it was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. (And sadly, yes... very unhealthy.) I am going to have to try your idea next time we have guests. Thanks for sharing! :)