aspatamine ?!

Options
I have been drinking alot of diet soda latley , and as most of you guys know it contains apatame. I read that aspatame causes
-- "the release of insulin in the body. "Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat." is this true and could be why im losing weight more slowly ? someone help me out . thanks =]

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    are you referring to aspartame?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight slowly because you don't have much to lose. I doubt aspartame (assuming that is what you were talking about) has anything to do with it.
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    yes , typo hehee
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You are 10 pounds from your goal weight, so you will lose weight more slowly anyway.
  • windyweather88
    Options
    It's just a fake sugar. Real sugar does the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • memphismum
    memphismum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Simple, just try switching water for the diet soda for a couple weeks and see what happens. Saves you money too!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I suppose it is possible - I mean, if your body is sensitive to it then YES, it could be affecting your weight loss. For me, I can not drink anything with aspartame in it as it gives me horrendous headaches - to the point of vomiting. I say drop the diet soda for awhile (or at least cut back) and see what happens.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It's just a fake sugar. Real sugar does the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Aspartame is made from phenylalanine and aspartic acid, both of which are amino acids. No it is not the same as sugar!
  • krypt5
    Options
    I suppose it is possible - I mean, if your body is sensitive to it then YES, it could be affecting your weight loss. For me, I can not drink anything with aspartame in it as it gives me horrendous headaches - to the point of vomiting. I say drop the diet soda for awhile (or at least cut back) and see what happens.

You might be allergic to phenylalanine.
  • krypt5
    Options
    I have been drinking alot of diet soda latley , and as most of you guys know it contains apatame. I read that aspatame causes
    -- "the release of insulin in the body. "Rapid, strong spikes in insulin remove all glucose from the blood-stream and store it as fat." is this true and could be why im losing weight more slowly ? someone help me out . thanks =]

Most people think that only sugar raises insulin, but the fact is, proteins and fats raises insulin as well. Worrying about insulin is pointless.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

You might be allergic to phenylalanine.

It is possible. All I know is I stay far, far, far away from it. There's NOTHING in this world that I need bad enough to experience the side effects I get from it. Nothing. (Plus, I think food with aspartame tastes disgusting.. lol)
  • roseygogs
    Options
    I have also wondered this as I am insulin resistant and drink 2 cans of diet coke a day. I used to drink 3 cans of regular coke so surely the diet coke is going to make a difference rather than giving it up all together?

Can anyone tell me how this would affect insulin resistance?
  • krypt5
    Options
    I have also wondered this as I am insulin resistant and drink 2 cans of diet coke a day. I used to drink 3 cans of regular coke so surely the diet coke is going to make a difference rather than giving it up all together?

Can anyone tell me how this would affect insulin resistance?

Aspartame is safe for people with insulin problems and does not cause an increase in blood glucose levels.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    diet soda has all kinds of bad chemicals in it. It isn't real food and you shouldn't put it in your body...

Yeah, Aspartame is bad. I avoid it like the plague.
  • roseygogs
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up kyrpt5 :)
  • mbstenger
    Options
    I think everyone has put in their ideas so mine isn't needed, but I will say this--- google aspartame. Then decide if it is worth using. I'm in the "it gives me headaches" category. I hated to admit it because I love the taste of Diet coke, but I have gone on and off it so much that I am convinced that is what causes the headaches. Of course could be the caffeine I guess, but I take Excedrin for caffeine, bad I know, and I never get withdrawal headaches with that. Only get the headaches daily when drinking Diet Coke. My two cents. :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is a wonderful thing imo. Saves me tons of calories daily and tastes great! :drinker:

I have googled it, and found no evidence at all of it causing issues. Certainly not with any reliable sources. Sure, some people will naturally have bad reactions to it, as with anything, but for those of us that don't get those reactions, it's gold! :D