Flat feet and PAIN

Options
Anyone out there have a good remedy for treating the pain of having flat feet? My arches collapsed years ago and my podiatrist has given me orthotics to use. They are great for regular walking around at work. However, if I spend a day at the mall, I'm in pain for the next 3-4 days. Or if I'm doing the tourist thing in the city where I'm on my feet the whole day, I feel it in the middle area of my foot. I just can't handle that much walking without paying for it the next day. I've given up running and basketball.

How do you handle the pain?

Replies

• Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would ask about physical therapy to build up the muscles in your feet and legs. The new sports medicine is citing that a lot of the problems people have with their feet and legs are due to weak support muscles and orthotics, even though they take away the pain, make the problems worse. Do some research and get moving again!
  • dshiemke
    dshiemke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are they custom made orthotics? Mine are wonderful, but they were made specifically for my feet. The over-the-counter ones aren't very useful.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The arch on my feet is completely gone. My podiatrist actually told me that they might have been able to do something to save it if I had gone to the doctors 10 years before. I don't think I have ever had any broken bones in my foot. The orthotics that I have now are custom-made.

I'm definitely interested in that physical therapy angle. I've found a few strengthening exercises on youtube.