Ladies TOM question

Options
I thought my body was going in to freak out mode after dieting and exercising for a month, turns out that nope, it was TOM sneaking up on me. I got on the scale today for my official weigh in day and I didnt lose since my dr's appt Thursday. What in the heck can i do to squash these cravings? How can I make myself not over eat? And how i the heck can I make it so this week is still successful and I still lose weight? I couldnt even put on my 'fat' pants today because im so bloated. Help! Please. i dont want this to make me discouraged.

Replies

• cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For me it is increasing the water. But I really don't remember that week well! It was my second week on here I think. I was kinda a bummer. But I did lose the weight I gained plus some the next week!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake consistently. I keep mine around 1500 mg per day. It helps so much with PMS symptoms, cramping and bloating. Try upping your water intake by a glass or two more the week prior to your cycle. Be good to yourself.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Only you can find your willpower.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My cravings send me MAD during my TOM! And I just gain loads of weight during that time :( I find it so hard to curb the cravings and to be sensible. Mine is due around now and for the past few months the signs and cravings start a good 2 weeks before the actual thing arrives! So frustrating. I would try to avoid the scales. And yes, drinking lots of water and eating fruit and veggies should help a little.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just ride it through. I usually up my calories a little during TOM that way I can accomidate the cravings. As a general thing woman burn 200 - 500 more calories during TOM.

Just do the best you can and when its over things will settle down.
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    Good News! ! It only last a couple of days! Stay strong, drink lots of water, lower sodium intake... . and dont look at the scale! I have moments like that when I think I'm doing really good then TOM hits.. . . Makes me feel huge... :cry: .. . I remind myself this is a temporary state my body is in and do my best to quit thinking about it. :flowerforyou: Good Luck!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Only you can find your willpower.
    She speaks the truth. I was going to say something similar, but this about sums it up!
  • GeauxTravel
    Options
    I almost always "gain" 3-5 pounds during this week, but then the next week I may be down more then usual. I usually end up loosing about 1 pound or so. If you only weigh 1 x per month, change your weigh in week. I weigh everyday and since i do I know that I will go up and down during this week. Drinking more water helps, try to limit your sweets not avoid them completly. I find that a fruit and spinach smoothie helps during this time (somebody told me it was because of the folate, not sure how accurate that is, but it works for me).
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    When I crave sweets, I eat more fruit, especially grapes. I allow myself a Skinny Cow ice cream bar, too.

If I'm craving salty, I get goldfish crackers or the Special K Cracker Chips in Sea Salt (110 calories for 30 chips). If I just want crunchy, I try carrot sticks.

The key is to find low-cal alternatives that you can munch on without compromising your calorie count. If you do that, you can probably get through it.
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everything that is being said is true - watch your sodium, drink tons of water, but I also have found that if I eat more asparagus during that week, I don't gain quite as much. It is a natural diuretic so it helps with some of the bloating. Also, add some nuts like almonds in for your snacks. It may not help with the cravings, but it helps with the hunger.
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    Someone tell me what TOM is :(
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    "Time of Month" Like you know....

On My TOM, I found it helped SO MUCH getting up and walking/jogging a mile first thing in a morning, then followed by a lot of water. It seems to get my body moving and help with cramps
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    Someone tell me what TOM is :(
    time of the month
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    well for me I REFUSE to weigh in the week before or week of my TOM. I also really dig the 90 calorie brownies and 100 calorie skinny cow chocolate ice cream bars. they are they only thing that get me threw the TOM chocolate cravings with out throwing me WAY over my calories. It will all come together just be patient.
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    Oh thankyou :)
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I just have sooooo much weight to lose and it is so frustrating getting on a roll and then getting smacked in the face with this! ugh. Thanks for the help ladies.