Need encouragement

Options
I'm a 50 year old mother of 3, divorced and going to be a gramma in a few days. I didn't want to be overweight going into 50 or being a first time nana but here I am severely overweight and depressed. I need to lose at least 150 pounds that I've gained over the last 20 years. My man-friend says I'm fine the way I am so that doesn't motivate me at all. My kids say I'm beautiful so there's no motivation there either. So I need to have someone that is in the same boat as me to message me so we can lose together. I miss buying pretty clothes that make me look and feel sexy ` I'm waiting for your message.

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You deserve to wear pretty clothes and feel sexy!! (In any size) Add me if you like because I want to see your dreams come true!!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it. I bet you are a beautiful person inside and out. Don't try to get their approval, sounds like they love you very much, but do it for yourself! It sounds like you are a person who has had to give give give, you need to give YOURSELF permission to be a little selfish. In the long run you are still giving to your kids and grandiose, by being healthy and living longer!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I lost 155 lbs about 5 yrs ago however with menepause I have gained about 40 of them back. My motivation was my grandbaby also (who is now 19 months old). Good luck! You can do this. Add me if you'd like.
  • madsxx
    madsxx Posts: 12
    Options
    if you have no motivation to lose weight for your partner or children DO IT FOR YOURSELF :) you deserve it!
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello! You can add me as a friend.

I'm not sure if I'm in the same boat? I am divorced and mother of 2 kids. I had about 60 pound to lose and am getting within 15 pounds of my goal. The first year of weight loss I did really well, and these past couple yrs I felt stuck...until I started using my fitness pal this summer and now I see 10 lbs of progress so far. My friend told me about it, and I thought it would be complicated, but I found out that it's fun and nice to have support here, even if it just means reading forum posts and realizing you're not alone :)

Hang in there!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    It's so wonderful that your family loves you just the way you are! But you aren't happy about it, so why not let that motivate you?
    I'm 50 years old too. We may be getting older, but we are not yesterday's grandmothers sitting in a rocking chair. Be fabulous! I bet you want to be healthy as well as gorgeous too. Think how wonderful life will be with your grandbabies when you can actually play and keep up with them. Good health, nice pretty clothes, active grandma....these are great reasons to be motivated from within. Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy that you have a supportive family. In the sense that they are nice to you by telling you they love you just the way you are and you're beautiful. (And by the way, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!). But do you really think you would be more encouraged if they were down on you and called you a fat cow? I don't .

Being over weigh is depressing in itself. But depression sometimes comes to people who are not over weight at all. Try to decide if its just the blues because you are over weight or if its full blown depression that might require therapy and or medication.

Now back to motivation. I think many people will tell you it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You have to lose this weight by yourself and for yourself ONLY. It will be YOU doing the hard work when you are alone and no one is looking. I think you can do it!!

When you begin to see the results of your hard work you will feel sooo good about yourself and want to continue. Honey, the time is going to pass anyway ,so you might as well do the work!!
    You CAN do it!
    Deb
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 in Jan. I have 9 grandkids, our daughter is living with us, with her 3 children....and have a daycare. I have been married to a wonderful man for 22 years....he loves me fat or thin. I'm doing this for no one other then myself. I love having more energy, and just feeling better about myself. I'm not saying it's easy....I take it a day at a time, but it got easier everyday I stayed away from eating junk.

Add me as a friend if you would like : )
  • BMARYLYNN
    BMARYLYNN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi...this is going into my 2nd week on MFP and I like you would love to lose 150 lbs...I've been divorced 3 years and finally starting to feel a little on track. This I want to do for me. I want to be 150 lbs lighter before my 40th birthday (I got 14 months). So I would gladly share this journey with you & try to help motivate you...if you'd like to add me as a friend. One thing I have to tell myself is NO MORE EXCUSES not to be healthy. Being healthy is my main goal...been trying to get my cholestrol in check because I don't want future problems or to be on medicine either
  • melieeeboo
    Options
    Hello everyone, i only have a couple of friends on mine :o( could do with a few more if anyone wants to add. I think the support definitely helps :o) x