Sugar in fruit

Options
I know this seems to be a common topic but I just can't find a clear answer on it. As a male trying to lose around 150 lbs, should sugar in fruit be a concern to be while logging my food for the day. I generally consume roughly 30-35 grams a day without fruit but with fruit it can sometimes reach up be to 55+. Fruit is a huge part of my diet and I would hate to have to cut it out for this reason. I've read that on weight watchers fruits can be eaten in excess and not be counted, which leads me to believe that the sugar in fruit is not a problem. PLEASE someone give me some info on this.

Replies

• H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    sugar in fruit is generally fine and it should not hinder your weight loss goals as long as you are creating a caloric deficit. one reason I didn't like WW new points plus system is that fruits and veggies mostly count as 0 points. if you like fruits and veggies...and still tried to hit your points plus number...this could be counter productive because you would be eating too many calories to lose weight.

now, if you are able to reduce your sugar from other sources (i.e., processed foods), that would be helpful. I personally do better when I avoid or strictly limit processed foods and foods with flour (i.e., pizza). but, for now, focus on creating a caloric deficit.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    as long as you aren't eating 10 pounds of it a day :) The sugar in the fruit gives you energy so eat the fruit.. expecially if you plan to work out with your diet. I love adding some frozen fruit to my protein shakes :) Good luck on your journey!!!
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I specifically asked my trainer this and he said that the sugar in fruits are simple sugars and thus easier for our body to digest then the sugars in processed foods/snacks. He said it is fine to eat as much fruit as we want as long as we are somewhat active because our body processes much faster/easier.

Good Luck! I love fruit too so this was a major conern for me. : )
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    You might want to look into the glycemic index and choose fruits that are lower in sugar, it will help you to lose weight. I personally can't go without fruit but I do avoid bananas... berries are the best for being lower in sugar.
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fine..what about folks with diabetes/ insulin resistance and PCOS?

Also, fruits are best eaten whole than the pre-cut ones to have maximum nutritional benefits.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Seeing fruit is a natural sugar, I think it's generally fine. However, I feel like some people eat way too much of it, which can certainly hinder your progress. It IS still sugar, even though it's natural. As long as you are active and your body can burn it off, it's fine. But just remember (as a former weight watchers leader once told me), if you eat a pound of grapes, don't be surprised if you weigh a pound heavier the next day. It's still food, calories, and sugar. (certainly a better choice than processed sugar though.)
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you think about it, in general fruit is about 80-100 calories, so naturally if you eat to much of it you will gain weight or have trouble losing.

I have read a few comments from people on the WW points plus program where they shared that they could not lose weight because of to much fruit.

The general guidelines for fruit are 2 cups a day. I am not sure why WW decided to just make it a "fruit free for all".
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    nobody got fat eating too much fresh fruit.

just make sure you write it down.
  • daveg119
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Fruit is not affecting my calorie count in the least bit, my only concern was with the sugar. It's not that I'm eating crazy amounts or anything just don't want anything to hinder what's been a successful journey so far.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a particular reason to limit your sugar, I wouldn't worry about it.

But also: sugar in fruit is still sugar, just because it comes from fruit doesn't make it different.
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    SUGAR IS SUGAR!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    One banana raises my sugar for the day but I eat it anyway. It's full of vitamins and nutrition.

Don't OD on "bad" sugar from candy and cakes and treat yourself to healthy fruit instead and you'll be fine.

If you are diabetic or on a special diet restricting sugar levels, then you need to follow the guidelines for that diet. Otherwise, don't worry about the fruit ... but try to pick the ones that are lower on the glycemic scale.

Here's a great guide that I came across when I was researching this very same thing:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

Here's another good list that I just found:

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Fruit is not affecting my calorie count in the least bit, my only concern was with the sugar. It's not that I'm eating crazy amounts or anything just don't want anything to hinder what's been a successful journey so far.

Sugar doesn't make you fat, excess calories do. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight and don't worry about sugar intake as long as all of your macro nutrient and micro nutritional goals are being met.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't make you fat, excess calories do. As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight and don't worry about sugar intake as long as all of your macro nutrient and micro nutritional goals are being met.

I agree that a calorie deficit will help you drop weight. However, sugar pretty much turns right into fat in your body. So while you'll be losing weight, your body fat % may not go down. Probably not the case here with excess fruit, just saying. You can eat 1200 calories worth of Twinkies all day and lose "weight," but your insides will be all fat. Just making a point I guess. :) ha.