What am I doing wrong?

Options
I started MFP on Oct 1st. Over the last 3 weeks I've lost 1-2 lbs a week, until this past week. I weighed in today and lost NOTHING! I have my settings for losing 2 lbs a week so it gives me a calorie goal of 1250. I was exercising 3-4 times a week, 40-50 min of cardio and this past week I stepped it up to 40min of cardio every day. I eat back my exercise calories.

I can't adjust my carbs very much as I take insulin. But I think I can probably cut them back a little and adjust my insulin, but per my dr absolutely no less than 30gm per meal and 15gm per snack (2 times per day)

I like this program and the convenience of it, I feel better eating healthy and exercising, but if I don't see the results on the scale I don't know how long I can stick with it. I need some motivation!

Replies

• PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. Try not to think of this as a diet, but rather a lifestyle. The weight loss will come over time, but you will always have ups and downs.

Phil
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, you can get more specific advice regarding your nutrition.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Focus more on the way you feel and the way your clothes fit than you do the scale. My scale hasn't shifted for a couple weeks but my clothes are getting looser. Working out builds muscle. Some people gain a few pounds back in muscle which is a good thing. Either way, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there. The more you stress about it, the harder it is!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If its just one week I wouldn't even worry about it :] Could be from a variety of reasons. Most likely water weight masking your fat loss. Might see a big drop next week!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    increasing exercise and just being a woman in general your best motivational tool will be a tape measure. Our water fluctuates too much and too often to trust the scale all the time .. Do weigh in but don't let it rule you.. On friday I was straight out depressed for instead of losing 2 lbs as I have been I gained 2 when starting exercise... huh? Yeah water.. All water... believe me you are doing fine.. Take your measurements and trust them.. Keep going and feel free to friend me :)
  • mfarwell10
    Options
    Switch up the exercise - cardio is awesome for burning calories as well as other health benefits, but if you only do cardio (and the same cardio workout) every day your body starts to adapt and basically plateau. Add in some strength excercises. Core is always good, but if you have access to a gym there are simple chest, arm, back, and leg workouts you can do as well. If you're constantly doing something a little bit different every day your body won't be able to adapt. That should kick start your weight loss again!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Never say never...the scale will move again. I just got mine moving again after two weeks..and 2 lbs gain. It happens to everyone, and you just have to stay with it and keep on keepin' on because the stall is temporary...your body just has to readjust itself. Hang in there...YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    make sure you're not eating junk that can have a lot of calories without you realising. (some foods even at small quantities can be ruining your diet)

and don't worry... keep up the good lifestyle... and it will eventually work!
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    you probably arent doing anything wrong. I have been strctly following mine for 9 months. some weeks you lose, some you dont. slow and steady wins. dont get discouraged just keep doing the right stuff. Results will come.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    1st week - lost 6lb
    2nd week - lost 3
    3rd week - lost 0
    4th week - lost 2

This is how it was for me. Stayed under calories and exercised the whole time. It will all work out in time.
  • vanessamaesRN
    Options
    How do I open my diary?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I could add some strength training. I have weights and resistance bands at home
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. don't stress over not losing weight every week. losing weight is not fluid and sometimes the body rebels and needs time to adjust to changes you have made. likewise, sometimes you need to adjust so everything doesn't stay the same.

2. exercising every day is not necessary...and perhaps one reason your body is rebelling is because you aren't giving it time to recover. it may be coincidence or it may be a sign that your body does need 2-3 days of rest each week....but you lost weight when you gave your body rest and you didn't lose weight when you exercised every day.
  • CoachMelissaDi
    CoachMelissaDi Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone. Try not to think of this as a diet, but rather a lifestyle. The weight loss will come over time, but you will always have ups and downs.

Phil

I agree with Phil. This is a lifestyle change and you are most likely hitting a plateau. Thats where your body is trying to catch up to the weight you are losing so it will retain water and you are probably gaining muscle too. But muscle is great to gain because even when you are not working out, your muscles are burning fat! Keep going and dont quit! You can do it!
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not to be in your busines but maybe your cycle is close? It could be water as well, Jst keep at it, The scale is not you friend.
  • vanessamaesRN
    Options
    Ok my diary is open.

Maybe I need to cut back on the cardio again. My husband is exercising with me and following MFP (well by default because he eats what I make him) but he gets so into it, he is pushing me to exercise every day, he tends to get extreme when he's trying to lose weight and be healthy. Maybe I need to go back to 3-4 days a week of cardio and then I could add strength training on the off days
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd bet it's water weight from your increase in intensity/time of cardio workouts. When I first started, I also started working out and it made my weight loss stall for a week or two but then BAM, I lost 4 pounds. Keep doing what you're doing. Your body does need the carbs, especiallly as you're so active. If you're not already tracking sodium, add it to your food diary as that'll help you keep an eye on water weight fluctuations too. Also, keep time-of-the-month (aka TOM) in mind as that can wreak havoc on the scale. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water too. It can help to keep yourself constantly hydrated so the body flushes out the excess easier.

Definitely start taking measurements and/or keep an eye on how your clothes are fitting. I've been slow to lose pounds the last month or two but my clothes are fitting way better than they were.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me (most of last year), the reasons were a combination of the following:

* I wasn't being 100% accurate in my food log. Until I started weighing, measuring, and recording every bite, I was wayyyy off.
    * I wasn't burning nearly what MFP and the machines said I did during exercise. I just don't burn that much, so eating all of my exercise calories was eating too much.
    * My activity level was not lightly active after all, even though I work two jobs and have three children. I'm mostly sedentary according to my Fitbit tracker (which I got for Christmas last year).
    * My cheat meals/days were too much. I was wiping out all the hard work I'd done. Now, I take a week and eat at maintenance every 3 months, which helps me stick to the lower calories the rest of the time.

Also, my weight loss/gain takes 2-3 weeks to occur. Patience is KEY. Until you've gone 4-6 weeks without a loss, you're not plateauing.

Something else that helped me (might not apply to everyone) was to increase my protein and drop my carbs. I am using a 40c/30f/30p plan and it works much better than higher carbs/lower protein. Try it!

Hang in there and don't give up!
  • vanessamaesRN
    Options
    Tywana I'm about a week from the end of my cycle. I typically notice a gain a day or two before. I will be resuming my infertility treatments then so it will really be a struggle with the scale, this hormone injections make you pack on the water weight.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    How do I open my diary?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I could add some strength training. I have weights and resistance bands at home

strength training is helpful, but there's no sense to overdo things starting off. you CAN lose weight without any exercise by creating a caloric deficit from your nutrition. accept that this journey takes time, that its not always easy and sometimes frustrating, but that if you stay focused your goals will be realized in time. with this in mind, take this in phases. get the eating right first since your nutrition is at least 80% of the weight loss equation. continue doing cardio, but probably not everyday. once you settle into a nice rhythm, then add to this. don't add just because your weight stayed the same one week.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    One week is no big deal. Even 3 weeks is no big deal. Keep on keeping on.