Which road bike?

Options
Hi all. I've just bought myself a new Cannondale Synapse Tiagra racing bike. I'm intending to use it to commute to work ( 30 miles round trip) and for tri's next year.

I was just interested to know which bikes people ride and what they mostly used them for. Any gear tips, or cycle routes in Surrey England appreciated!

Thanks

Mick.

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Fuji Roubaix & Schwinn Le Tour Super
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bikes

I have my Time Trial bike which is my Triggers broom and is now starting to look very damm good

then there is the training bike a Specialized Allez Elite

the hack for commuting which is an old 1980 Robert Millar Peugot 103 converted to fixed

and then the mountain bike

where about in surrey are you??
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I bought a Cannondale Caad 10 this past June after my son decided that I need to start doing tri's with him. I bought it with the 105 components. I also bought it with a compact crank set since there are plenty of hills where I live. I love the bike. Now if I could only learn how to swim.
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I ride a Kent Erikson mountain bike, a Serotta road bike, and a Cervelo P2C tri bike. The bikes are used for training and racing for both road and offroad triathlons and some mountain bike races. If my office moves to a building where there are showers and I can bike commute to work, a cyclocross bike will be joining the family.

IMO, bike brand is very personal and depends on what bike fits the person the best. I may think my Cervelo is the best bike in the world but it might not be the best choice for some one else as the geometry is all wrong.

Enjoy your new bike and have a blast training and racing on it!
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    I have 4 bikes

I have my Time Trial bike which is my Triggers broom and is now starting to look very damm good

then there is the training bike a Specialized Allez Elite

the hack for commuting which is an old 1980 Robert Millar Peugot 103 converted to fixed

and then the mountain bike

where about in surrey are you??
    Hi Ezwoldo - Nice collection!! Peugeot 103 - a classic!
    I'm in Walton On thames - KT12
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You could try the box hill challenge from there it's a nice slow build up then go a little further a field till you get to a good level of fitness then, Join a club there are plenty in that neck of of the woods, I'm sure the Kingston Wheelers start there club runs from Portsmouth Rd which is not to far from you.

It may be worth contacting them when you get a few rides under your belt , but be prepaired for the cold as you will really suffer if not.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I have several bikes but my road bike is an ION by Gary Fisher and it is the sweetest road bike I've ever owned! It's fast, light but sturdy feeling even with the carbon fiber. It has Shimano Flight Deck 105 shifters...smooth as a baby's butt!! :) I take this bike on weekend rides and to work with me to ride on my 30-minute lunches.

I see several bikes I considered buying on this post. what it came down to for me was color (yes, color!) size, shifters and cost. This bike retailed for $2100 in 2010, I paid less than half of that for it.
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys. Given me food for thought, and I realize I have a long way to go before I reach any of your standards! Hail to you all..... :smile:
  • runnergirl629
    Options
    I have a Trek Madone- as far as brand, it was the best I could get in terms of money for frame/components in my area.
  • subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just picked up our new road bikes this weekend.

It was a Trek 1.2 for me, and a Trek Lexa for her.

I also have a Trek 7.2FX for commuting and running errands.
  • subela
    subela Posts: 76
    Options
    I have a Jamis Coda Elite ( really a hybrid). I love it and use it as a commuter bike. Just newer to riding. It is similiar to a TrekFX 7.5 as far as components go. Still trying to get comfortable with the seat and position for longer rides.