Flavorful Crock Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipes?

Options
NCSean
NCSean Posts: 14
Looking for recipes I can make in bulk and eat over the course of a couple/three days. Thanks!

Replies

• techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    I haven't had much lock with the crock pot version of steel-cut oatmeal :-( My recommendation - make a BIG pot in the traditional way, and just keep it in the fridge.

I love to add stewed fruit (apples, pears), some frozen blueberries, and cinnamon, brown sugar to my oatmeal.

mmmmm - sounds so good I am going to make some tomorrow for sure!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    my recommendation - found at the store the other day.
    "Better Oats, Oat Revolution". Comes in a tall skinny box and flavors similar to Quaker, fruit and cream, or apple-cinnamon, etc. A box of 5 was $1 on sale, but reg. price was less than $1.50. This puts it on par with Quaker's price, but made with less processing, all natural, and even contains flax. Kids and I enjoyed it this morning! Found other interesting flavors such as dark chocolate.
  • mei1005
    mei1005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite. Calories are in the MFP database and are correct, as long as you make it as is.

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Oatmeal
    Serves: 8

Yield: 8 cups

Ingredients:
    6 cups water
    3 cups pumpkin, diced (I use 1 large can of the Libby's Pumpkin)
    1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
    1/2 cup honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

1. Put everything in a 3- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well.
    2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir well before serving.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-slow-cooker-pumpkin-oatmeal-399640#ixzz1biIcyuD1
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ‎2 apples, peeled cored and chopped
    1 1/2 cup fat free milk
    1 1/2 cup water
    1 cup steel cut oats
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    ... 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, cut up onto 5-6 pieces
    1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt

Coat the inside of the Crockpot with cooking spray. Add all ingredients and stir. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

I add some chopped walnuts and lo cal, sugar free maple syrup once its done and I'm ready to eat it.

Makes 5 1-cup servings...and freezes well. When reheating, add 1/3 cup milk and heat for a minute, stir, and heat 1 more min until hot.
    This is the recipe that my BFF uses when she makes hers for us....... DELISH!!!
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just making a pot of it instead of in the crockpot. I made a simple recipe of steel cut oats, cinnamon, etc in the crockpot. It smelled amazing while cooking, but it tends to get hard (and mushy) over the next few days in the fridge...and not so flavorful. However, when I make a pot of it on Sunday, it tastes yummy when you heat them back up. Then I add things to add flavor like a few walnuts, bananas, or raisins. Very yummy that way.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much lock with the crock pot version of steel-cut oatmeal :-( My recommendation - make a BIG pot in the traditional way, and just keep it in the fridge.

I love to add stewed fruit (apples, pears), some frozen blueberries, and cinnamon, brown sugar to my oatmeal.

mmmmm - sounds so good I am going to make some tomorrow for sure!

while that sounds yummy...what is the crock pot method you've not had luck with? we make it every day and it's fabulous --

1/2 c oats + 13.5 oz water
    2 hours in mini crock on high (ours only has the one setting)
    makes two servings
  • lisanume
    Options
    This PUMPKIN OATS RECIPE sounds absolutely delish!!! I am going to make them tonight for breakfasts for the rest of the week.......... THANKS!!
    :smile:
  • lisanume
    Options
    "Better Oats, Oat Revolution". Comes in a tall skinny box and flavors similar to Quaker, fruit and cream, or apple-cinnamon, etc. A box of 5 was $1 on sale, but reg. price was less than $1.50. This puts it on par with Quaker's price, but made with less processing, all natural, and even contains flax. Kids and I enjoyed it this morning! Found other interesting flavors such as dark chocolate.

These are really good. AND they have a chocolate one!!
  • csmbsailor
    csmbsailor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use these 2 sites a lot when if comes to steel cut oats and crock pots.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/oatmeal-recipes/
    http://www.skinnycrockpot.com/

I also portion the steel cut oats out into microwavable containers, like the ziplock bowels, and then freeze them. Hope it helps.
  • DawnMichelle1
    Options
    Sean,
    My boyfriend and I team up and make a few foods (from scratch) that hold us over for a few days.
    1. We boil up a package of brown rice past ( it actually tastes REALLY good) and saute up some fresh veggies (onion, yellow and green squash, mushrooms, asparagus and red bell pepper) in olive oil. Top off with Hunts crusher tomatoes. If you take the extra time to measured out your portions, it will last about a week. FYI 1 cup of each, this is a big portion is about 500 cal.
    2. White bean chili, you can find a good recipe on line, made in the crock pot is about 300 cal/cup serve on top of 1 cup brown rice (200 cal) is really good and lasts about a week for two people. My recipe makes 15 cups so you can always freeze half of the chili and thaw later.

Good Luck!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Newer crock pots cook hotter than the old ones and you can end up with a burned mess in some of the hot spots.

For easier clean up, you can use a water bath in your crock pot:

Put ingredients in a pyrex bowl or other heat-safe container that will fit in your crock pot with the lid on.
    Put several inches of water in your crock pot.
    Put a couple balls of bunched up tin foil in the bottom of the crock pot.
    Balance the glass bowl on the tin foil. The foil keeps either the bowl or the crock pot liner from cracking. I don't remember which one.
    Cover and cook as directed. The oats will be creamy with no burned spots.
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried the steel cut oats in the crock pot last week and ate it for breakfast everyday last week! I loved it and it was so easy to scoop out 1 cup and go. I used

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    1 diced up apple
    cinnamon
    nutmeg

set the slow cooker to low and cooked for 7 hours. I would recommend spraying the crock pot first because some of mine did stick to the sides but other than that I loved it!!

I am going to try the pumpkin one tonight!!! That sounds amazing!
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The pumpkin oats sound awesome. I'm going to make them for brekkie tomorrow!:happy:
  • NCSean
    NCSean Posts: 14
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite. Calories are in the MFP database and are correct, as long as you make it as is.

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Oatmeal
    Serves: 8

Yield: 8 cups

Ingredients:
    6 cups water
    3 cups pumpkin, diced (I use 1 large can of the Libby's Pumpkin)
    1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
    1/2 cup honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

1. Put everything in a 3- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well.
    2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir well before serving.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/weight-watchers-slow-cooker-pumpkin-oatmeal-399640#ixzz1biIcyuD1

Sounds delish! I will try tonight. Thanks all for your responses!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I second these - I like the cinnamon plum spiced and the dark chocolate best options too..
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I made the pumpkin oats this morning. Quite good. However, I think next time I'll add a little allspice to it as well.