I'm a binge eater, and I don't want to go through this alone

Options
Shameless self promotion. I'd love to be friends with every single one of you guys :)

At this point I'm less focused on losing weight and more concerned about my binge eating habit. Anyone who shares this problem with me can definitely understand that feeling of loss of control, but I'm done making excuses for it. I don't really have a choice other than to get better.

Replies

• melieeeboo
    Options
    yup with you on this, there are times i feel so out of control! i dont feel like i can stop myself :o(
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Don't feel embarrassed to post what you are going through. We all have food issues we are trying to work out. Feel free to add me as a friend for support.
  • NicksFitClub1
    Options
    I'd love to help out add me ;)
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    takes a lot of discipline, but you can do it!!!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    been there done that.... over and over again.... i can't just have a little... a cheat meal turns into a day... etc. and running distance only makes it worse because my mind knows i need "fuel" but the addictive side of eating rears its ugly head.... UGH. hang in there! one moment at a time.
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    first off im not sure why ur trying to lose weight, you look very thin from your profile pic. secondly, im glad that you realize that you have a problem. and if your looking for support and TRULY want help you've come to the right place. good luck to you!
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I started MFP. I need to lose weight as well, but just having the journal makes me more in control. :) add me if you'd like!
  • diehl_35
    Options
    here for ya girl
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been down this road. The only person that can help you...is you. I'm not being mean, but as a person who has dealt with this for years you have GOT TO LET GO. It takes discipline and sacrifice, but it is worth it. Occupy your mind with something else.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You are not alone ~ I can totally relate! I know how it feels to completely lose control. It's sugar, salt, sugar, salt for me ~ never feeling "full". Since joining a few months ago though, I've been able to keep my binges to a minimum. (Still happens, but they are fewer and farther between.) It's a wonderful community to belong to! Feel free to add me ~ we can get through this together! :smile:
  • email4jenp
    email4jenp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How do you stop though? This is my biggest struggle, as I'm sure it's most of yours too, or you wouldn't be here. It's like I have blinders on. And I don't stop, I keep going, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I should not. I mean, I wouldn't take cocaine, I wouldn't take heroin, because I know they are bad for me and kill me, but at my weight, my unhealthy body, I'm putting sugar, fat, horrid cholesterol, things in my body that can kill me just the same... (I'm not comparing drug use to obesity, it's just we make a conscious effort not to take those drugs, because we know their potential) but even though I know what I'm doing to my body, the harm, I still do it. How do you stop?

Everyone keeps telling me "If you are ready to do it, you will do it" and I partially agree with that. I certainly don't want to be 300lbs. That's for freaking SURE! If I had the answer for myself, I wouldn't be 300lbs! I DO WANT it. I need to know how to break this cycle for me.

So I would love to hear your experiences on what works for you to step away from the binges...
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I am 2 people. I am either super motivated and exercise 6 days a week and eat at my calorie goal or I sit on the couch all day and eat double or triple a normal person's intake. Fortunately, for the past 5 months I have been on track thanks to MFP. Tracking has helped me to keep an even keel and not let one unhealthy meal or skipped workout send me on a downward spiral.
  • Dangerkitty79
    Dangerkitty79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you are in the right place, I also find myself needing support, Add me here for u :)
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've struggled w/ binge eating for years (and struggle currently). I know exactly how you feel.

I remember when I lived w/ my friend in college. We'd occasionally make runs to go to Costco and pick up a 50 pack of granola bars. I'd eat all 50 within a few days. I remember the shame and embarrassment that I felt when my roommate would give me a "what the hell, they are gone already" kind of look. It still makes me feel uneasy.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I go through waves. I'm really diligent for awhile, never skip a workout and eat right. Then I eat, and eat and eat. As much as my 350lb husband. Then I feel guilty and the cycle starts all over. Feel free to add me, we can help each other!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I hope you can find a strategy that works for you and kick the habit.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    How do you stop though? This is my biggest struggle, as I'm sure it's most of yours too, or you wouldn't be here. It's like I have blinders on. And I don't stop, I keep going, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I should not. I mean, I wouldn't take cocaine, I wouldn't take heroin, because I know they are bad for me and kill me, but at my weight, my unhealthy body, I'm putting sugar, fat, horrid cholesterol, things in my body that can kill me just the same... (I'm not comparing drug use to obesity, it's just we make a conscious effort not to take those drugs, because we know their potential) but even though I know what I'm doing to my body, the harm, I still do it. How do you stop?

Everyone keeps telling me "If you are ready to do it, you will do it" and I partially agree with that. I certainly don't want to be 300lbs. That's for freaking SURE! If I had the answer for myself, I wouldn't be 300lbs! I DO WANT it. I need to know how to break this cycle for me.

So I would love to hear your experiences on what works for you to step away from the binges...

I would try to figure out what is causing the binges. Do you have certain emotional triggers? Are you waiting too long to eat until you're starving and then binging? It's a mental thing. Do you maybe need treated for depression? I'm just going from my own experience. I was extremely depressed and having panic attacks and eating lots of food was calming for me. You CAN reduce your binges-I've done it and I never thought i could quit either. (((HUGS)))
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello i too struggle with binge eating and when i snap i snap and i keep eating to the point i feel ill. i have no stop when ive broken my cal counting and then the days after when i feel guilty i still want to binge because i feel bad bored with cal counting etc. its such a struggle im not sure id be much help with helping to advise you how to stop but add me as a friend if you like xx
  • prettyinpetite
    Options
    first off im not sure why ur trying to lose weight, you look very thin from your profile pic. secondly, im glad that you realize that you have a problem. and if your looking for support and TRULY want help you've come to the right place. good luck to you!

That picture is from September. I've gained weight due to my unhealthy habits in October...
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am right there. Whe I get upset or don't know what to do I binge eat especially on sweets. I know that is why I can't lose that layer of fat in the mid section because I haven't figured out how to control those urges. I was told the brain is the toughest muscle to train and I completely agree with that statement.