Juicing, has anyone tried it?

Options
Sigra
Sigra Posts: 374 Member
I had watched a documentary a few weeks back called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It's amazed me what someone could do, including stop taking the medicine that a doctor says you will take for the rest of your life.

Saturday I woke up with a scary realization, at least it was to me. I hadn't eaten all day Friday because I was stressed with an issue in my life. After I was able to talk through it with someone I could finally eat. Unfortunately I choose to eat Soup, Crackers and Tuna, perfect combination to store all that water I had drank earlier in the day. I got up the next morning and weighted myself, not remembering I had eaten all of that and was up 5lbs. (Water weight of course) Before I could match two and two together. I put my foot down and was like:

TODAY IS THE DAY

And instantly started juicing. Mind you there is different types of juicing. I juice 2x a day (Breakfast and Dinner), and eat solids 1x a day (Lunch) normally a salad.

It's already been 3days, and I no longer feel the need for a nap, even when I'm lazy around the house all day, which for me is insanity talking. I ALWAYS take a nap on my weekends, or before I go to work (late shift) because I feel so drained. Apparently the vitamins are absorbed into your body faster because you are taking it in by liquid form. Day 3 and I'm not bored or craving. I think I'm in this for the long haul to help my weight loss.

The Movie has a great website that you should check out if it's interesting to you. Different strokes for different folks :)

How do you feel about juicing? Or have you heard of it?

Replies

• danblee
    Options
    So what's your recipe for your 2 a days? Anything good?
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I used to juice but sort of got away from it for the following reasons:
    1. Too expensive (by the time I bought groceries for our family of 7, there just wasn't enough $$ left to juice)
    2. They would eat the fruits and veggies that I had for juicing.
    3. Such a pain to clean up.

I did love it and learned one important message. You only need a half slice of a pepper to put zing in a drink, not a half of pepper :)
    A little goes a long way in the line of taste at least.
  • dezdame
    dezdame Posts: 35
    Options
    I used to juice but sort of got away from it for the following reasons:
    1. Too expensive (by the time I bought groceries for our family of 7, there just wasn't enough $$ left to juice)
    2. They would eat the fruits and veggies that I had for juicing.
    3. Such a pain to clean up.

I did love it and learned one important message. You only need a half slice of a pepper to put zing in a drink, not a half of pepper :)
    A little goes a long way in the line of taste at least.

I know all about #2!!!
  • lahokz
    lahokz Posts: 5
    Options
    I WATCHED THE SAME MOVIE AS WELL!!! i did do the juicing for 2 weeks to see how it went and i lost a pound a day! i love it, but its pretty tough the first 3 days until you get use to it. I stopped because of the cost of gathering all the veggies and fruits! buuuut its a great diet to do a reboost then just slowly add your healthy food slowly cuz your intestines are use to liquids. good luck!

oh when doing veggies add a piece of fruit so it give it a good flavor. it gets hard to swallow if its all veggies sometimes.
    hope this helps!
    -lauren
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I watched this documentary just last week and I also would like to start juicing at least a couple times per day. I need to get a good juicer... The documentary was great and really got me to thinking. Good luck and I’ll post when/if I get started.
  • Sigra
    Options
    So far I've been sticking with the same recipe, it's sooo tasty.
    Apple, Cucumber, Celery (x3), Orange and a Kiwi - Last night I ended up adding Coconut juice, but that as only because I had bought a coconut.

As for Ana, I'm sorry to hear that :( So far Juicing has been extremely cheap for me. I bought $20 worth of Fruits and Veggies that will be lasting me a solid 5days for my two meals. I can make all my juice at the same time and store half of it in the fridge for later. Which means only 5minutes of clean up! (The juice I have is super easy to clean).

Juicer I Use: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11590808
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I juiced for a while and really loved it but like someone else mentioned found it was quite expensive. It was also time consuming for me and I too didn't like the cleanup or all the extra fruit flies I had around my home :)
  • Sigra
    Options
    For anyone who is confused about how much I spend, I'll type out my receipt. Mind you this is from Walmart, nothing special.

5x Gala Apples - $2.93
    5x Fuji Apples - $2.93
    5x Kiwi - $1.65
    5x Cucumber - $3.10
    Bag of Celery - $$1.18
    Coconut - $1.68
    6x Bananas - $1.20
    5x Oranges - $4.40

Total: $19.07

Mind you the Coconut and Bananas are not meant to put in your drink. Banana and Coconut are something solid to munch on whenever I want to, or if I need to. Everything else is used to blend.

For me $20 for 5days is priceless. Since I normally spend $10 on lunch while at work. Which would total up to around $50 a week.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat the whole foods. You will consume far too much sugar (even if it natural) by juicing because it take way more vegetables and fruit to fill you up than if you just ate them.

Also, you are missing out on the fiber content of said vegetables and fruit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is confused about how much I spend, I'll type out my receipt. Mind you this is from Walmart, nothing special.

5x Gala Apples - $2.93
    5x Fuji Apples - $2.93
    5x Kiwi - $1.65
    5x Cucumber - $3.10
    Bag of Celery - $$1.18
    Coconut - $1.68
    6x Bananas - $1.20
    5x Oranges - $4.40

Total: $19.07

Mind you the Coconut and Bananas are not meant to put in your drink. Banana and Coconut are something solid to munch on whenever I want to, or if I need to. Everything else is used to blend.

For me $20 for 5days is priceless. Since I normally spend $10 on lunch while at work. Which would total up to around $50 a week.

That is very little vegetables.
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I juice, but I do it in addition to my meals, not instead of. I find when I am diligent about juicing I lose more weight, even when I don't count the calories in the juice. I get full much faster when I add some juice to my day. I buy my fruits and veggies at the farmers market, so it's a little cheaper then the stores. I juice enough for about 1 cup a day for 5 days. I heard it's better to make the juice every day but I just don't have the time. I use apples, carrots, celery, cabbage, bell peppers and whatever else I have at hand. Another benefit, I often get heartburn. My doctor suggested eating more veggies; when I juice, I don't get heartburn.

So, juicing doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be a great addition to a healthier diet.
  • neckburg
    neckburg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i did a juice cleanse last april for 5 days. i followed THE WINTER WAKE UP cleanse out of the book SUPER CLEANSE. i lost about 4 lbs. as a result but had ZERO energy to work out by the 3rd day. i learned a lot about my relationships with food and that i eat often because of cravings instead of true hunger. it was an eye opening experience.... and it isn't CHEAP!