Given up smoking, addicted to chocolate and gained 2 stone

Options
Hi I recently gave up smoking but I now have a chocolate addiction! Everey week Im gaining about 3lbs so I need a little motivation or some tips please. In August I was a size 10 and now, 2 months on, Im a size 16. Ive gained just over 2 stone in just over 2 months. I eat healthily until lunchtime then I graze on and off all afternoon and evening. When there is no chocolate in the house I just pick on lots of rubbish. I would like any advice or tips please!!! Determined to lose weight for christmas but need a shove in the right direction! I no longer crave cigarettes or nicotine but have a stressy life as a single mum to 3 children which doesnt help!!! Thank you :)

Replies

• adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink water! Worked for me!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i feel you. its not just the chocolate though. smoking keeps appetite suppressed, but it also keeps water weight down. i quit and went from 130 to 190ish. it was insane ...half a year. took me two to get back close to that! but it can be done. mine took longer because i fell off the horse after one year and went back to 160. keep on track and you can loose it. no worries. its harder to hanle quitting than to loose weight. so if you did that you can def loose the weight!
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    ok have to ask, what is a "stone"...just not familiar with the terminology
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it, I don't think there's a secret. If you're not logging your food everyday, I suggest you start, otherwise you'll have no idea how much you're eating everyday. Try to get 'healthy' stuff to graze on when you feel like it...carrots, etc. If you're logging your meals and exercise, you'll have days where you earn enough to eat your chocolate...you won't have to give it up 100%.

I had a solid meal/exercise plan behind me before I quit smoking (3 weeks ago) and there's no way I'm going to undo all of my hard efforts now!

I'm only a year older than you and if I can do this, you can too! :flowerforyou:
  • lmifflin
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 yrs ago, what helped me was snacking on carrot sticks. I too love chocolate I would eat chocolate everyday, but since I started my weight loss journey a month ago I have not had any chocolate and I recently gave up pop also which was very hard but so far so good. Do you have a friend that can do this journey with you and help you past the cravings and keep you motivated? Even talking with people on here could be a motivation for you.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    ok have to ask, what is a "stone"...just not familiar with the terminology

1 st = 14 lb
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you can quit smoking you can do anything :).Don't worry about the weight for the first three months of quitting, then start exercising and follow MFP.Exercising will get much easier and you will get a much healthier life for the rest of your life.
    I quit 5 months ago and don't think about it anymore.I think I gained 10-12 pounds in the first three months and the last 7 weeks I have been on track losing weight here on MFP.
  • afeveryear
    afeveryear Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's mind over matter. You have to be conscience about what you are putting in your mouth. You need to log your food so that you know what you are putting in your mouth. Do you know how long you have to workout to make it worth it to eat that chocolate??? In my book, it's just not worth it! Try a chocolate protein shake, they are great and very chocolatey or you can have chocolate frozen yogurt, that is a nice treat that I give myself after a really tough workout. Hang in there, it's easier to lose weight then to quit smoking! Good Luck!!!
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much, I will try the carrot sticks and increase my exercise. I had plenty of willpower when giving up smoking but finding dieting much harder. Its going to be much easier keeping track of my food on here and the support on this site sounds fab, just what I need to pull my socks up and motivate myself!
  • sullyslittlesister
    Options
    :smile: Didnt i tell you MFP is brilliant
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Options
    :smile: Didnt i tell you MFP is brilliant

You did indeed! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :smile: Will keep you posted!! x
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing and am also now taking those pounds off... feel free to add me if you'd like!

BTW - there are interesting articles around the net regarding the impact the nicotine has on your blood sugar levels as well - in other words, why its so easy to smoke instead of eat. Smoking apparently releases glucose within something like 30 seconds. Understanding the connection has helped me a lot.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Sheedos, I will google nicotine addiction and do a little research! Have added you, thanks for the friendship, need as many like-minded friends as possible to all help eachother along the way!