Baking salmon

Options
I baked 2 salmon filets for the first time yesterday and realized I bought the great value brand and it had skin on it YUCK so I tried peeling off and it still had the fishy taste afterwards..I seasoned them with spicy montreal steak season and lemon and added a little olive oil before wrapping . The top was delicious until I got towards back of the filet and was completely turned off . I need to finish the bag and don't want it to go to waste so I need help with the best way to clean these suckers and enjoy the taste.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Let them thaw and then filet the skin off of them with a good filet knife. After that, wash them good and then marinate them. You can use some vinegar and garlic before you bake them and that should take care of the problem.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have a Forman but that's what I use. I like it because you can grill the fish skin side and when you flip it over the skin should peel right off. Then I season the side I just pulled the skin off of...so yummy =) Good luck!!
  • Bomber989
    Options
    A recent favorite for me is to brush on a Thai Peanut Suace while I grill the salmon. If it has skin, just remove it with a fillet knife so you can brush on the sauce on both sides. I think this will resolve the fishy taste and if you already like peanut suace, I think you'll love this. I use "SAN-J", it's gluten free as well and mildly spicy. Good luck.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    That sucks, I love salmon, but not when it comes with the skin. My advice is peel it off & scrape the fillet the best you can& then marinate them. I like them marinated in teriaki sauce. I usually marinate overnight so the flavor saturates the entire fillet. Sometimes I mix up the marinade. Teriaki, pineapple juice, brown sugar. I've also found some good recipes on allrecipes.com, some using balsamic vinegar. I like to grill my salmon or broil it so it has a bit of a crispiness & tender in the center. You can also cook the salmon & then flake it up & use it in salmon patties or you can make a stuffing for mushrooms, or look for a recipe for salmon dip. I've mixed it with cream cheese & green onions or leeks, delicios on crackers or veggies. Good luck!!!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When you peel the skin off be sure and cut off any of that greyish flesh that's next to the skin as well. That may be why it was still fishy tasting or maybe it wasn't the freshest fish.
  • Fitdiva83
    Fitdiva83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ! I will filet the skin off and scrape that gray stuff off and marinate them while i'am at work next time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salmon skin. I wish they sold it fried crisp in bags like potato chips.

But that really doesn't help you much. Get a good sharp filet knife like is used when fishing. Slide it under the edge of the skin, then lift the skin as you continue to slide the knife down the lenght of the fish.

You can also pan saute the fish skin side down. Once it's heated, flip it and the skin will peel right off. Then season that side and flip once more when cooked halfway through.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband loves the skin on salmon. I don't mind it on the fish, but I don't eat it personally. We love our salmon seasoned with garlic and dill. Once it's done, we squeeze fresh lemon juice over it, and that cuts a lot of the fishy flavor. I also like to sprinkle a few capers over, which complement the salmon really well, IMO. Hope this helps!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If you leave the skin on, you really shouldnt just toss it in the oven (bake). Soggy squishy fish skin is never tasty!

You need to crisp up the skin first. Use some extra virgin olive oil in a very hot skillet on the stove top and crisp it up, then finish it off in the oven to cook through the flesh. I guarantee it will taste significantly better!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    Crisp the skin............yum salmon skin.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The next time you purchase salmon, ask the market to remove the skin for you. I like to mix a little dijon mustard and maple syrup together and paint on the fillet before either grilling or roasting (oven on 400*).