My 1st 5k is coming...how to prepare? Runners?

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
I'm running my first 5k this Saturday, and I'm excited and nervous. I've never been a runner and am working through the C25K program.

My question is how much should I be running this week to prepare? I did C25K + a straight 5K run yesterday...and I would like to hear your thoughts on what would be a good balance for the remainder of this week.

Thanks!

Replies

• strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first 5k on Nov 19, and set to finish C25k soon (I'm doing the 25 minute runs now, will start 28m by Friday). I'll be watching this thread as well. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on your fitness level. To me, a 5K is a short distance, since my normal workout is 6-10 miles, anyway (not ALL running, but mostly).

So I don't do anything special for a 5K except wear a number, pay and support a charity I believe in.
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    make sure you eat enough carbs for energy
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Take a day or two off before the race, to save leg energy..don't freak out if your nerves don't let you sleep the night before, you're adrenaline will be sufficient. Have fun and good luck!
  • windyweather88
    Options
    Taper :). Cut your normal runs in half... since I don't know what distance you've been running. 1.5 miles every day would be fine. You can even take a day off; however, the day before the race make sure to do a short run just to loosen up the muscles! Also, new studies have shown that you should carbo-load 2 days before your race instead of the night before. Good luck!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Sherri
    If you've finished your training plan already - I would suggest you run gently this week - enough to keep your legs in good condition only. Don't run 48 hours before your race
    Increase your carbs 48hrs before your race too.

Most of all hun - relax, and enjoy - you'll do it :wink:

x
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm running one on Sat too. My plan is to run a 5k on Weds and then no more running until Sat. I will do the Ripped in 30 video that I've been doing along with the training though. You're also supposed to start loading up on carbs a few days ahead so Weds or Thurs. Good luck
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So fun! and good for you! I ran my first 5K in September and have done another since. I would skip running the day before... and eat a decent dinner the night before - high in protein and midlevel carb!... If you can run 3 miles without any problem, then you're good to go!!! Other than that... I wouldn't change doing anything.

You end up running a little faster than you normally do, just on pure adrenaline! Have fun!!!!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yeah..taper the week before. Im running 12-15 miles per week..Have done 2 5ks and have an 8k in 3 weeks..and a half marathon in March. And eat a protein /carb an hour before. (Think pb on toast)
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    People always say to take the day before the race off -- but for a 5K, I really don't like to do that. I feel like I am stiffer and less prepared.

The week before a 5K, I run a little lighter than usual, maybe a similar distance but less intense, or perhaps about a mile less than normal -- and the day before the race, I do a very light run. Like, maybe 20 minute jog at moderate intensity.

I feel like skipping the day before a race makes me 'colder' for the actual race.

Also...don't worry too much about 'carb-loading' .... for a distance like 5K, you should be fine. Eat normally, stay away from foods that upset your stomach, obviously. For race day, I prefer a light, protein-based breakfast before the race.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I avoid running for the most part 2 days before a race. Other than that, just do what you always do. You're already able to go the distance, so you don't need any kind of carb loading or anything. And the beauty of it being your first is that you automatically have a Personal Record when you finish!
  • kitkat415
    Options
    Congratulations in advance! I'm sure you'll be great. Try not to stress too much the week of a race. At this point, you're as prepared as you're going to be, so it's just about feeling confident. I'd say if you want, try and get in one or two 2-3 mile runs this week. Don't run or work leg muscles later in the week than Thursday (it's not really worth getting hurt). Friday if you're jittery and want to do something maybe do some yoga or stretching (nothing new though). Make sure you set out everything you'll need for the race (clothes, food, ipod) the night before. Print out any race instructions/directions. Drink plenty of water all week but especially Thursday and Friday, and try and get a lot of sleep. Good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k this past Saturday and I didn't so much different except made the day before the race my rest day :) The race was awesome! My main goal was just to finish and not finish last. I ended up in 3rd place for my division! My best piece of advice is not to over think it, just think of it as another run and ENJOY yourself! I had so much fun, I can't wait to do another one! Good Luck!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    a 5k is short enough that you should NOT be changing your diet leading up to it, people do that for marathons because you are exerting yourself for several hours, your body doesnt need any special nutrients to go 3 miles

get a good nite sleep thurs night for a sat run - many studies have shown that is the most important night of sleep.

lay out your wardrobe, plan travel route etc the day before.

do something very light on friday, short bike ride, short easy run, or you just yoga. do a couple of shorter runs this week, do some cross training but doesnt have to be too stressful.

dont drink too much water sat morning since you dont want to have to pee at or during the event but drink more than usual the day and night before (stop early enough so you dont have to get up in the night tho). regardless, leave time to go in a porto potty at the race and expect to have to wait in a long line to do so.

dont try anything new in a race - no new shoes, new shirts, new energy drink, new food, nothing that your body isnt used to and that you dont know how it will deal.

if possible, do some yoga this week, stretch out and/or do a foam roller the night before but dont do static stretching before the race, but do get loose.

to get loose - once you have your bib & know where the start line is, warm up by jogging easy a hundred yards then do some strides where you go faster for 15 seconds then back to easy jogging for 25 seconds, do that a couple times then find your spot at the starting line.

start around people of a similar pace to you. dont be toeing the start line unless you are running 5-6 minute miles. get in front of the walkers at the back and expect to have to bob and weave to pass people in the first half mile since unfortunately few people place themselves properly at the start line/ are oblivious that their actions have an affect on others..

i have done about 100 races, just finished my 12th marathon earlier this month. i dont know everything (at least thats what my wife says) but i know a bit so send me a note if you want/need any other advice on running.

PS - DONT be the dork wearing the race shirt in the actual race, thats for wearing later or the next day to show off your accomplishment. plus, you dont know how it will fit or feel, stick to what you know.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    PS - DONT be the dork wearing the race shirt in the actual race, thats for wearing later or the next day to show off your accomplishment. plus, you dont know how it will fit or feel, stick to what you know.

:laugh: Yep! Save the race shirt for after the race when the shirt you're wearing is drenched with sweat and you're starting to get chilly.

One other thing.. Most 5ks don't have a water station, and even if they do, I don't like to slow down to get a drink unless I *need* it. I like to have a pocket full of grapes, so I can pop one in my mouth while running and feel like I took a sip of water, without spilling it down my neck and shirt.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    If this is your 1st 5k it might be like a marathon to you so you still probably need to eat a few more carbs the 2-3 days before. If you're a good runner than no you don't need to change your diet for a 5k, but since it's your 1st you probably should. Also, eat a very light breakfast with protein and carbs.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If this is your 1st 5k it might be like a marathon to you so you still probably need to eat a few more carbs the 2-3 days before. If you're a good runner than no you don't need to change your diet for a 5k, but since it's your 1st you probably should. Also, eat a very light breakfast with protein and carbs.

i agree on the breakfast but i completely disagree that you should change your diet at all on the days before your race. the difference in preparation for a 1st timer vs an experienced runner is in what workouts you do leading up to the event. you should treat the week before like a marathoner does, doing a few short workouts and getting in a lot of stretching, water and rest to perform at your peak and most rested .

on the nutrition side, your body needs extra carbs and protein to work with in a marathon because you will be working out and pushing your limits in a marathon for 3, 4 or more hours depending on your speed and the body needs replenishment in that time no matter what kind of shape you are in, we werent intended to go that long without fuel and or rest so we try to build up a little extra reserve above what we normally have so there is more available to burn during the event.

compare that to a 5k and while you may not have pushed yourself for 3 miles before, think about the time you will be pushing yourself, assume you are a back of the pack runner and will finish around 40 minutes (13 minute miles). You have almost certainly worked out that long before. you may not have gone straight through for 40 minutes on any one activity but most people probably have and your body can definately go an hour without refueling or needing extra fuel to burn beyond the norm, in an hour of tough activity the body is not going to need to start dipping in to reserves.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    compare that to a 5k and while you may not have pushed yourself for 3 miles before, think about the time you will be pushing yourself, assume you are a back of the pack runner and will finish around 40 minutes (13 minute miles). You have almost certainly worked out that long before.

I look at it like that. I've gone out dancing and boogied for more than 30-40 minutes straight. I told myself, if I can dance that long, I can run that long.