Lean proteins?

Options
I am wanting to get a larger variety of lean proteins in my diet but am not sure what is considered a lean protein. Right now I eat chicken and egg whites a lot. Is peanut butter (if it's natural) considered a lean protein? I don't like fish either :frown: Please help!

Replies

• stepbystep6
    stepbystep6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese has an incredible amount of protein. Shrimp is great too.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    there is ground turkey, ground chicken, turkey breast along wiht chicken breast, lean beef (97/3) and lean cuts
    Really any type of meat has some sort of lean cut
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter (and other nut butters) are excellent sources of protein. Low fat cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans...

When you say you don't like fish, is that shellfish and mollusks and fish? Or just certain kinds? What experience have you had with fish? I only ask because I have found that sometimes people who don't like fish have only had certain fish prepared certain ways, and trying new kinds and/or preparations can help.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Lean = low fat....thus regular peanut butter would not be considered a lean protein. However, a product such as PB2 (powdered peanut butter with most the fat removed) would be considered lean. Look also to whey powders, any meat trimmed of fat, beans, etc.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of beef, low fat dairy, legumes, quinoa, nuts and seeds...
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Turkey. You can change your chicken and turkey up in sausage, ground, breast ect.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Turkey, almonds, lentils...etc. Google this topic and I'm sure you will find a long list of foods.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Peanut butter (and other nut butters) are excellent sources of protein. Low fat cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans...

When you say you don't like fish, is that shellfish and mollusks and fish? Or just certain kinds? What experience have you had with fish? I only ask because I have found that sometimes people who don't like fish have only had certain fish prepared certain ways, and trying new kinds and/or preparations can help.

I've tried a lot of kinds of fish prepared many different ways and haven't liked any. I think it's the smell. I've even tried tilapia which isn't supposed to be a fishy fish. Shrimp, lobster, I guess not just fish but sea food in general I don't like
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Another suggestion I haven't seen mentioned is edamame. I like to boil it in the pod, then open to remove the soybeans; it's DELICIOUS and has good protein.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nuts aren't lean proteins. Proteins that have healthy fats yes....but lean...they are not.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Another suggestion I haven't seen mentioned is edamame. I like to boil it in the pod, then open to remove the soybeans; it's DELICIOUS and has good protein.

I've never heard of that before. I'll have to look for it at the grocery store!
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Nuts aren't lean proteins. Proteins that have healthy fats yes....but lean...they are not.

Thank you! That's the problem I am running into right now. I know a lot of food has protein, but I'm looking specifically for lean proteins. I did read that low-fat cheese, milk, and yogurt is lean protein?
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lean = low fat....thus regular peanut butter would not be considered a lean protein. However, a product such as PB2 (powdered peanut butter with most the fat removed) would be considered lean. Look also to whey powders, any meat trimmed of fat, beans, etc.

ok ewww powdered peanut butter? that just sounds so wrong....
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options

ok ewww powdered peanut butter? that just sounds so wrong....

I agree... I was hoping the natural peanut butter would be ok... But oh well!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That's what he said...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im not a big cooked fish fan either. but i love sushi(sashimi). sliced raw fish sometimes dipped in a little wasabi/soy. have you tried that?

the way ive found i can eat cooked fish is through fish tacos. i cook some mahi mahi. put it on a small tortilla with some cheese, a lot of spinach, hot peppers and salsa. its really good.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    im not a big cooked fish fan either. but i love sushi(sashimi). sliced raw fish sometimes dipped in a little wasabi/soy. have you tried that?

the way ive found i can eat cooked fish is through fish tacos. i cook some mahi mahi. put it on a small tortilla with some cheese, a lot of spinach, hot peppers and salsa. its really good.

To be honest the biggest problem I run into is how picky of an eater I am. And just the though of fish makes me wanna throw up. Raw fish is worse lol. I even bought some fish from the store and made it one night and I just couldn't eat it no matter how hard I tried, I threw it away.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Thank you! That's the problem I am running into right now. I know a lot of food has protein, but I'm looking specifically for lean proteins. I did read that low-fat cheese, milk, and yogurt is lean protein?
    Also, I would look at nuts as a carb source and not protein.......nuts have a variety of fats that generally are considered healthy, and also have protein.