Weigh more now than 1986 but look fatter then?

Options
I was watching home movies from 1986. I looked way heavier than I do now and wore a size 12 (150 pounds) . I know that because in the movie my husband at the time was giving me a present and it was a skirt that was size 12. Now I am 10 pounds heavier and wear a size 8....go figure. My husband now says you were heavy then and I said no I actually weigh more now but wear 2 sizes smaller. My question is how come I look thinner now then I did then. That was 25 years ago. I was 31 then and 56 now. I am wondering if it has something to do with the way my body has changed as I get older. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Replies

• 8dozendiets
    Options
    It's definitely possible that you're full of muscle now as opposed to back then.

I weighed something like 115 in the 80s and often as low as 100 so I definitely look larger now. LOL
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing. Today's size 12 is not what a size 12 was in 1986. A 1986 size twelve is probably a 14 or a 16 now. That size 8 you're wearing was probably a 12 or so back in 1986.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ladies sizes are rediculous now - "vanity" sizing

Way back when, I weighed 106 (too thin) but wore a size 6 - now I weigh 38 pounds more & wear mostly size 8's! That's crazy

Are you sure you looked heavier before ..... or perhaps the clothing style didn't really suit your figure. There are styles now (skinny jeans) - OMG - never on my pear shaped body.... when I was younger .... I'm sure I would have tried it though.
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    You're right about the vanity sizing but I do believe that she can look thinner than years ago despite the vanity sizing.

More importantly, how do you feel now as compared to then? If you feel better and healthier, then it's all good. :)
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Well, I still have a dress from about 1997 and I know for a fact that I wore it when I was about 150 pounds. I wore it again and it was on the loose side last year at about 165. Whether my body has "shifted" or if I do have some more muscle, or a combination of the two, I don't really know. But it definitely is not vanity sizing!
  • rayettainutah
    Options
    It's true the clothing might of made me look heavier. In the home movie I was those skirts that they call skort and a tucked in blouse that made my butt look huge!

I didn't think about the fact that the sizing is different now. That make me feel worse if the size 8 I wear now is really a 12...YIkes. I guess I have to get down to a 4 to be an 8?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Don't forget every single store (practically) is sized differently as well. A size 8 in one store might fit you and you might be a size 12 in a store that caters to teeny-boppers. Don't worry about it! And do not feel bad!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I weigh 13 pounds heavier than I did last September, but my belt is on a smaller loop.
    Weight is a funny thing, there is no constant on how you will gain it, or lose it, regardless of your past.
  • rayettainutah
    Options
    You brought up an important point....maybe the body can shift. My butt is definitely smaller now at a higher weight. My shoulders look broader than they did then. I had my 5th and last baby in 1985 and I could of had some of the baby fat left from the pregnancy.
    I will never been petite or size 4 since I am medium boned and also my hips widdened after all my children.

IT's also sooooooooo hard to lose the last 10 pounds. People are dropping weight right and left on here and it has been extremely tough to lose the 3 pounds I just did. I think I am worrying about more what it says on the scale than how I will look.

ok I am rambling..............