2 months and nothing

Options
I have been working out, and trying to get in all of my calories. I have managed to lose a few inches but the scale isn't moving, I drink anywhere from 8-12 glasses of water per day. I have even added 2 days of weight training. I have tried to stay positive about it, but that is beginning to change. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Replies

• debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Losing inches is much better than numbers on the scale. Its a huge achievement. Congratulations.
    Scales are evil.
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are gaining muscle while burning fat, thus keeping the scale the same, but melting inches. Way to go! By gaining that muscle, it should help burn fat easier.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It takes an awful lot to gain muscle, at least according to Jillian Michaels. Open up your food diary and let us see if we can help pinpoint some trouble areas??!!
  • titan4ever16
    Options
    As you continue to weight train you wil gain muscle mass which weighs more than fat, so you may not see as much a different on the scale. Losing inches is the important thing, and in the long run having more muscle will help you burn more calories throughout the day. You seem to be on the right track so far, keep doing what your doing and keep a positive attitude!
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 4lbs in 45 days-but I'm down a size in both tops and bottoms....
    It's very frustrating. Just keep on working!!!
  • kristitampl
    kristitampl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! Certainly, losing inches is GREAT! Keep up the good work!
  • Mustanggtgirly21
    Mustanggtgirly21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Even tho you are getting your calories in....be sure that they are based on the FDA guidelines....meaning dont skip the carbs! Check out 'My Plate' which is the new what used to be food pyramid. Also....remember that muscle weighs more than fat.... and it takes burning 3500 to burn 1 lb of fat....so it takes a while....dont stress. Keep it up...AND DONT SKIP ON CARBS, FRUITS,AND VEGGIES! (whole grain carbs that is)
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 4lbs in 45 days-but I'm down a size in both tops and bottoms....
    It's very frustrating. Just keep on working!!!

Don't be frustrated... the scale is NOT what is important. Good health is most important followed by inches. You are doing GREAT!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    The scale can be very frustrating, but since you are losing inches don't sweat it. The tape measure doesn't lie whereas the scale does. Just stay focused on the tape measure - sounds like you are building muscle.
  • brandybowlen
    Options
    How do you open your food diary? I'm having the same problem and I would love for someone else to look at it.
  • Mustanggtgirly21
    Mustanggtgirly21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body, really....because I worked out with a personal trainer for 1 month straight and gained 10lbs!!!! I had lost inches, but gained weight. She picked out all of my foods for the month and I stuck to it like crazy. She even wanted to hook me up with her body building buddies because I can gain muscle so easily....BUT that has been why I have always feared working out...bc when I was younger I was an athlete and was very muscular...and THOUGHT I was fat...HA....now I am fat and realize muscle is much better...lol
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is much better than numbers on the scale. Its a huge achievement. Congratulations.
    Scales are evil.

DITTO! Scales are evil. I could not agree more! The famous gymnast, Mary Lou Rettin says she does not even allow scales in her home! Its all about good health. The scale is just ONE measurement of that.

Stamina, strength, energy. These are the measurements of good health before weight.
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    from what i understand about muscle gain it wouldnt be that, apparently it takes a huge amount of effort to gain a few pounds of muscle in a yr- however if u open your diary people may be able to suggest things- it could be something simple like too much sodium, to many calories, too many carbs etc.

dont get disheartnened, it will happen, one way or the other. my husband followed mfp for months with no results and minimal exercise, but he persevered. he has lost over 2 stones in about 6 weeks- it just keeps dropping off- and he hasnt even upped his exercise. sometimes your body takes time to catch up.

other people have a 'cheat day' which tricks their body and gives it a kick start... i find this works for me. u will find what works for you and before u know it you will be ppsting in the 'success stories' forum

good luck!!!
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    I know the feeling, but I've gotten to the point where the scale doesn't matter so much anymore. What's more important to me now is the sense of accomplishment I feel after a hard workout, the way my clothes fit better, things like that.
    When you exercise, are you using a heart rate monitor? I started using one a few months back and found that I was only burning 1/2 the calories that I thought I was burning, which has really made a difference. Keep at it. You didn't gain it in 2 months, so don't expect to lose it all in 2 months. You'll find the right combination of diet and exercise that works for you. Be patient with yourself.
  • inufan4evar
    inufan4evar Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Normal when your starting out it takes a while before you notice anything happening. For example, i was 173 when i started and i barely noticed the scale moving in 3 months but i gained a bit of weight but it was muscle :)

An exellent tip for you, if you want to try burning off body fat, go to the gym or wherever you can and do cardio FIRST thing in the morning but do NOT eat or drink ANYTHING before you go. An empty stomach when working out on cardio will eat the carbohydrates that are already in your system and will eat through that and it will move over to its second sorce of energy which is BODY FAT. :) So first things first, when you wake up or if you get up early, do 30-45 minutes of cardio. Personally i thing you should do interval training which is what i have started just recently, and it gives me energy in the morning :) But just remember to NOT eat or drink anything before you go.
  • lovingmeinmyskin
    lovingmeinmyskin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Normal when your starting out it takes a while before you notice anything happening. For example, i was 173 when i started and i barely noticed the scale moving in 3 months but i gained a bit of weight but it was muscle :)

An exellent tip for you, if you want to try burning off body fat, go to the gym or wherever you can and do cardio FIRST thing in the morning but do NOT eat or drink ANYTHING before you go. An empty stomach when working out on cardio will eat the carbohydrates that are already in your system and will eat through that and it will move over to its second sorce of energy which is BODY FAT. :) So first things first, when you wake up or if you get up early, do 30-45 minutes of cardio. Personally i thing you should do interval training which is what i have started just recently, and it gives me energy in the morning :) But just remember to NOT eat or drink anything before you go.

That has actually been my routine, to work out first thing in the morning before breakfast. I have also been doing intervals on the treadmill. The first thing that goes into my body when I awake is water, after brushing my teeth.
  • inufan4evar
    inufan4evar Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well good, at least your starting with that but you shouldn't drink any water before you go, now if your already doing the cardio then you can drink water but NEVER do it before you start working out :)
  • lovingmeinmyskin
    lovingmeinmyskin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have opened my diary, its best to check out my diary prior to oct 14. My little guy had surgery, and was hospitalized so it has been a little skimpy on logging
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^
    Please don't do this. You need food in your body in order to give your all when your training. Eat a snack an hour before. Water is good any time you are thirsty. Your body can't give you it's all unless you give it what it needs. Much better to have a hundred calorie snack and burn 500 calories than go on an empty stomach dehydrated from the night before and burn 300 calories and feel like your going to die the whole time.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options