How should I train for a marathon?

Hello, My name is Katie and I have been a member of MFP for a while now but I have only recently started to dedicate myself to really improving my lifestyle. I have been really working on my endurance and I still can't jog very long at all. I want to start training for half marathons even if I have to walk them at first I still want to really move forward in my progress.

I am looking for some training tips. I just feel like I am not getting my endurance results that I want but I am not sure how to improve. Any ideas? Feel free to add me as a friend. I am going to need lots of advice down the road as well. Not to mention motivation. :S

Replies

• shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    I'm taking the baby steps route. First I'm doing the C25K program. I just learned about this website which has all kinds of training programs on it. http://www.halhigdon.com/
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    check out Jeff Galloway.... I htink it is jeffgalloway.com ... he is an excellent resource!!!! i'm starting his marathon training program this week!
  • irunforfun
    irunforfun Posts: 113 Member
    Look up Hal Higdon's plans. I used it for my first marathon in September. I'd say give yourself a year to 6 months to build up to it. Although I started "training" 4 weeks before the marathon, I was in training, just not signed up for anything at the point. I wouldn't recommend it that soon. I think a good solid year would be nice to build up to.
  • I know how you feel... I have done my first 5k on 10/1/11 and I am going to do my second on 10/29 so eventually I want to do a 1/2 marathon which isn't until next year in November. I am taking baby steps also. I eventually want to do a 10k and move on up. I alternate walking and jogging to train myself. My cousing who has done many 1/2 marathons said to jog for 4 min. then walk 1 min. and so on. It seems to help. Now I can jog for about 8 min then walk 1-2 min. So I think I am doing better. GOOD LUCK!!!

10371238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    The Couch to 5K program is very good for those just starting out. I would suggest starting with that to build your endurance and conditioning. I went through it and was very pleased with my results! You can do anything that you set your mind too, just set realistic goals!!!
  • I ran my very first marathon in Nov 2009 in NYC. I have also ran a handful of halfs. I started out NOT being a runner, having only ran up to 3 miles in 5ks. I decided to run the marathon after watching it every year outside my apartment! I joined Team in Training. I highly recommend this! They have teams throughout the entire country and it is very motivating and you have a coach who you practice with and teammates you run with. If you aren't able to join a team than I would create a calendar for yourself. My first run was 4 miles and I wanted to die at the end. However, I managed to complete 26.2 miles and also run halfs (and let me tell you I got to a point that 13 miles was EASY!). Typically my weeks were: Tues: HIIT training or running up and down hills. Mostly sprinting followed by slow run around 3-5 miles. Thurs: 60 minute run (started off being 3 miles and got closer to 5 miles as I got better). Saturday: Long Run.. I started at the 4 mile and each week I added a mile or so. And then every 3 weeks or so you have to go down in mileage to not over train. It went something like this: 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 8, 13, 15, 18, 20, 18, 5, 26... That was the minimum you should do in a week. On Sundays, I would do a 3 mile slow jog to loosen my muscles from the long run... sometimes it would be a 1 mile walk just depended how I felt. Towards the end you have to taper A LOT and your body is in repair mode it almost feels like you can't run a mile.. but then once your body is repaired it's crazy how you can then run 26 miles! I would also mix in cross training in the schedule 1-2 days such as lifiting weights, taking a spin class etc.

Def put together a calendar though that helps and each week I had a calendar from my coach. Keeps you on track.

Oh and be sure to keep track of your nutrition.. you can't starve yourself... lots of little tricks to learn such as taking salt packets with you on runs, what drinks to drink and so forth..

good luck
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    i've been running for 2-3 years now up to a distance of 10k, (but no races), but now decided to go for it with a half marathon.....i found lots of 9-12 week training programmes out there on the internet. the race isn't until march so i intend to improve my speed and distance generally and start one of the programmes (or an amalgamation of a couple) straight after christmas. best thing is running with other people ....that reallly keeps me going, i'm talking some friends into doing the same event i hope!
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions!