Exercise when you're sick??

Options
Okay, is it better to exercise when you're sick or to hold off for a day or two? I have a really bad cold--I cannot breathe and I have a sinus headache that is beyond words.

Do I suffer through it? Or just go home and go to bed?

Looking for some wisdom here because my head hurts to bad to think about it.....

Replies

• Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Go to bed! A couple of days will not make any difference as your appetite is probably depressed as well. get well soon!
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I always take a day off to rest. Don't push yourself and make yourself even sicker. Have some hot tea, soup and a hot shower then curl up in bed and feel better!
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If I have the flu, I am entirely too sick to work out: lethargic, achy, etc.

However, if it's a basic cold (sinus issues, etc.) I generally try to force myself to do a little...and see if that helps. I have found that doing some cardio clears my head a little. That's if I have the energy for it.

Really....I think the best way to proceed is to listen to your body. :)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel...
    I work out when I'm sick... you already feel like dog crap, what's working out gonna hurt? :)
    If you are vomiting, dizzy, etc... then go home. But otherwise, try and see.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When you exercise, you are sending the blood towards your muscles to help them work and prevent injuries...but when you do this while you are sick, that means that your blood is not helping you fight off whatever you are sick with at that time.

Give yourself the rest you need and deserve. Your calorie deficit should take care of the weight loss in the meantime.
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat here!

I've decided to rest. I figure if I exercise then it may drag out my cold. The sooner I'm better the sooner I can exercise properly
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I found to my surprise that Nyquil/Dayquil have lots of calories, so I entered those when I took them during my last cold....bummer.
  • domesticgoddessof6
    Options
    I train in martial arts, and they always say to just work through it the more you sweat the more your likely to get rid of whatever is bringing you down faster, cause your getting all those toxins out of your system, and i know for me i drink water like you wouldnt believe especially when i am sick, cause its like you are "peeing" out your cold :) cause it is a filter for bad stuff but the water flushes out your system and also gets that bad stuff out faster, if i am sick its never longer than 2-3 days :)
  • smurgleburf
    Options
    Let your body be your guide. If you feel miserable, taking a couple days off to rest isn't going to impact your weight loss goals at all in the long term.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I've had the flu myself for almost a week . this has been the first day I felt well enough to get any exercise- just 20 minutes on the gazelle.. Listen to your body and go to bed... hope you are well soon.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    and sugar!!!
    I found to my surprise that Nyquil/Dayquil have lots of calories, so I entered those when I took them during my last cold....bummer.
  • carlson06
    Options
    I've been sick for the last 5 days, I worked out Thursday and Friday. Saturday I was way to sick and Sunday I did a little Yoga in the evening. This morning I'm still sick but I got up and did 10 min. I agree do what your body tells you but I know I felt a little better after doing a little.