numb foot on eliptical?

Options
Whenever I go on the eliptical after 10 min my right foot's toes ALWAYS goes numb. Does anyone know why this is??? It does not happen when I am on the treadmill running.

Replies

• Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Whenever I go on the eliptical after 10 min my right foot's toes ALWAYS goes numb. Does anyone know why this is??? It does not happen when I am on the treadmill running.
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I've found that if I concentrate on putting my whole foot down instead of pushing with my toes, it stops. You have to stand up straight and not lean forward. It used to drive me crazy!!! But if you just watch your form, it will stop.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    this happened to me, turned out I needed to get new shoes.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    What is actually going on is a nerve or blood flow is being pinch and thats why you get the numbing feeling. I get that every once in a while. I have noticed that if I put my feet to the outter most edge on the pedles that will keep them from going numb.
  • Lauren882
    Lauren882 Posts: 102
    Options
    This is crazy, I thought I was the only one this happened to :)
  • adrienneflamm
    Options
    Happens to me to!!! Not as often once I got new shoes though...

153654.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and dont wear shoes! Now my feet are never numb!

My podiatrist blamed it on tying my shoes too tightly (although I dont think he would like the barefoot thing!!)
  • glosalinas
    glosalinas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when I wear running shoes on the eliptical. I bought some lighter more flexible shoes and this helps.
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It goes numb because of inflammation of of a nerve. It happens to the 4th and 5th toes on my right foot sometimes, but not until i've clocked about 25 min. I think that it is related to posture and foot placement. If I'm feeling fatigued it usually occurrs earlier in the workout. 141041.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem - it was alleviated for me by getting shoes that fit properly! My old sneakers (Nike) were too narrow. When I went to the Super Runners Shop, they found a pair that were better for my wide feet and I haven't had the numbness problem since.

It also helps to move your feet with the eliptical - it is hard to explain, but your feet should not be just solid to the machine - it should be constantly moving at the ankle. It helps to stand up straight, don't lean forward into the machine.

Hope that helps! At least you know you are not alone.!
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness for this post!
    My feet have been going numb on the elliptical since I got new shoes a few months ago. It never used to happen to me. It's also happening to me on the StairMaster. I gotta get new shoes soon!

126046.png
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I read recently that the eliptical is not a good choice for burning fat. It's more for warming up the muscles.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Wow!! I thought this was just me. I broke my ankle a year ago, and I thought that was why. I wonder if the light brace I wear is cutting off blood flow, and not really helping me as much as I thought. hmmmm....

the eliptical not good for burning fat?....I can't imagine how that could be true. Low impact on my joints, and gets my hear rate up, and my whole body moving. Why would that not be good??
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    double post. This keeps happening. I must be pushing a button funny on my laptop.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too, used to drive me crazy. If I'm home, I wear slippers (cause the treads hurt) and it helps. Also, I just bought new shoes and have been on it the last two days and didn't notice any problems. Actually, neither pair of Asics cause this. All my New Balance do.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    Eliptical bad for burning fat???Tell that to people like Tamtastic who has lost 135 pounds and has used the eliptical to do so! I know she incorperated eating right and doing weights but she does 60+ minutes on it 4 to 5 days a week. Its about getting your heart rate up so if you are using the eliptical to its maximum potential then it can have the same effects as a treamill for a runner. It is easy on the joints and a great alternative for the people out there who cant run!

I am not saying you didnt read it right but it just sounds strange!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Wow I just got back from the gym and can't believe how many reponses I got. I was thought it would be a dumb ? but it sounds like this is common. I am going to try new shoes and repositoning my feet so the blood flows better. It's funny how it does not happen on the treadmill which leads me to believe it is how I am standing.

THANKS TO ALL!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:I am glad I am not alone!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I read recently that the eliptical is not a good choice for burning fat. It's more for warming up the muscles.

No way!! I love the elliptical. I use my HRM and burn a LOT of cals. I'm a runner and find the elliptical is a close 2nd to running. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I find that wearing my running shoes (I buy them a larger size for more room in the toebox) and make sure to wiggle my toes often to keep them from going numb.