5K/10K Training and Weight Loss

Options
Hello!

I'm looking to form a group for people who want to tackle running a 5K or 10K, and who are looking to lose some weight while still fueling their bodies to be running! :)

As of now, I'm going to be doing the Turkey Trot in November, and in the process training for a 10k! Anyone else interested in forming an online group to discuss training and working out?

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Add me! I am slowly training to run a 5K in the spring. There is no way I could run one right now.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have already done a few 5k's but I am training to run in Turkey Trot also and would love to do a 10k one day!
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    Hey! This sounds right up my alley. I ran my first 5k on Sept 17, first 8k on Sep 25, and my first 10k yesterday! I have one more 5k coming up on Nov 5, am also running a 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, and have two half marathons in February. I am new to running and racing, but am definitly hooked!
  • audirain
    audirain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i started training in July and ran my first 5K race September 25. I NEVER was a runner and never thought I could even run a mile.... But I did it =) I am running another one November 6. I would love to help motivate each other... add me please... AUDIRAIN
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am working on training for a 5k soon. Also want to lose 10-15 lbs. Add me if you'd like!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Me please! Doing C25K with an aim to do a race in June next year - would like to keep my muscle up a bit to help prevent injury but not easy getting the protein in with an unprocessed diet and 1,200 cals a day!
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am working at training so i can do my first 5K in Dec.. would love to join

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend as well BESTRODEO
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Add me too. I've enter any 5k runs but I can manage them okay on the treadmill at gym. My best time so far is 5k in 30 mins.
  • DesperateKate
    Options
    Yes please add me. I'm aiming to do a 10 k next March after doing my first 5k Race for life this July. The only problem is, I'm gaining weight not losing it and it's sooooo frustrating.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Add me! I'm on week 8 of C25K and I have my first 5K race this Saturday. I'm going to start Bridge to 10K once I'm finished with that, and I'd like to start training for many more 5K and 10K races to come! :) Like many of you on this thread said, I never thought I'd be a runner, but once I got started, I am completely hooked. :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I am working towards a 10k as well!
    I would love to be a part of the motivation and support.
    Feel free to add me! :D
  • mum_of_three
    Options
    Please add me also - I am working towards walking a half marathon early next year but would also like to do some 5/10km runs.
  • bnazarian
    Options
    Hey, I have been running for 5 years now. I started out walking on the treadmill and progressed over time to running marathon distance.
    What I can tell you from my experience is that both 5K and 10K are great distances to work on speed which burns a lot of calories. Long slow runs also burn a lot of calories but it takes longer - 1 1/2, 2, maybe 3 hours on your feet, not everyone wants to do that.

So if you run a 5K distance (3.1 miles) you only burn 300 calories! If you run a marathon you can burn around 3000. For weight loss, running works well at first, but your body gets used to the high calorie burn after a while and you have to be careful, especially relying on the shorter distances like 5K and 10K to lose weight. It's really tempting to eat whatever you want because you ran a lot and you're dropping weight faster than ever with other exercises but it does catch up.

I didn't believe until I ran a marathon, dropped 5 or 6 lbs. eating whatever I wanted and then gained 10 pounds in the following 6 months while I continued to train and run 5K, 10Ks, 2 half marathons and a 25K trail race. My body got used to the really long distance and I was fit but heavier! For 5K and 10K I would do speed work to burn more calories and go faster, still be care what you eat but it's an enjoyable rewarding way to maintain weight and even lose a little extra. Every race or goal met is exciting.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    One of my friends gave me this today, thought I'd share - for anyone like me where the breathing comes into play before the legs pack up! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html