Lifting and Calories

Options
So, based on another thread I saw, I wanted to ask this... I have been lifting for about a month and I only intake 1200 (if I can even eat almost 1200), but I am lifting heavier than before. Do I need to increase my calorie intake? Is that necessary to do the more you lift (in terms of weight)?

Just wanted to know because I have a hard time even reaching 1200. Thank you :)

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi, me too, very new to weights, but love them and am so much stronger, it is amazing how fast it works...

I eat more protein and good fats, it seems to be working for me, but will read what others say who have been doing this for longer... xx
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    When I am eating healthy sometimes I struggle to reach that goal, but I'd say if your lifting you should include more foods like almonds, dark chocolate more protein around 80-120 grams.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You get get stronger while losing body fat which is done eating at a deficit...but if you want to gain lean muscle, you should eat more.

I personally eat around 1500 calories while I am doing heavy lifting and cardio, but my goal is to lose fat and get stronger. So eat at a 500 or less deficit.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You get get stronger while losing body fat which is done eating at a deficit...but if you want to gain lean muscle, you should eat more.

I personally eat around 1500 calories while I am doing heavy lifting and cardio, but my goal is to lose fat and get stronger. So eat at a 500 or less deficit.

I honestly dont get this deficit concept....I am just not sure what to do. I guess because I probably should be eating more than 1200 but I can't even get to 1200. But I want to lose body fat (primary goal).
  • jody81_2007
    jody81_2007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    from what ive seen, and on mfp you only loose calories through cardiovascular exercise not strength exercises ( your weights) your weights are there to tone you up?

im not sure though x
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    from what ive seen, and on mfp you only loose calories through cardiovascular exercise not strength exercises ( your weights) your weights are there to tone you up?

im not sure though x

Nope that is not true. Weights are great for burning fat.
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    yes if you are trying to bulid muscle. I take in close to 4000 cals on days I lift
  • madsxx
    madsxx Posts: 12
    Options
    i eat high protein when i do strength training. that helps repair and therefore grow your muscles which also boosts your metabolism. the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn even when youre doing nothing (giving you a faster metabolism)!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    i eat high protein when i do strength training. that helps repair and therefore grow your muscles which also boosts your metabolism. the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn even when youre doing nothing (giving you a faster metabolism)!

It sounds weird but you need to eat more than 1200, if you're building muscle. I slowly upped my intake (100 calories a week) to 1400 and broke through a 2 month plateau.
    In order to lose fat you need to do a combination of cardio and strength training. Even though you're not doing a lot of cardio your body is still working hard and you need more lean protein to support the extra work your body is doing.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    protein shakes,
    two tablespoons of peanut butter with an apple, or banana, or crackers
    a handful of almonds or other nuts
    some cheese and a piece of fruit
    cottage cheese and a peace of fruit
    a glass of low fat chocolate milk
    laughing cow lite, herb garlic cheese wedge and 6 Rosemary olive oil triscuits
    (many others also)
    some deli meat with a slice of cheese, and a few small gherkin pickles

All great snacks I use when my calorie or protein goals are looking short for the day

I had to up my calories from 1200, to 1350-1400, as I had stopped losing.

i lift heavy three times a week, cardio other days.