lower fat recipes?

Options
skwhatley
skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
I seen there is this new show coming out on Lifetime about replacing certain items in a recipe to make the meal lower in calories and such. Is there a website out there where I can find recipes like this? I'm pretty picky with what I eat so I need all the help I can get. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I seen there is this new show coming out on Lifetime about replacing certain items in a recipe to make the meal lower in calories and such. Is there a website out there where I can find recipes like this? I'm pretty picky with what I eat so I need all the help I can get. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    try Hungrygirl.com. It's great
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't heard of the show you're talking about, but I have a cookbook called "The Volumetrics Cookbook for Jenny Craig." I think it's essentially the same thing. The concept, according to Barbara Rolls (the founder of volumetrics?), is that regardless of the number of calories that we consume, we tend to eat the same weight of food (whether high or low cal). She strives to modify traditional higher fat recipes by substituting lower fat ingredients. Not just l/f sour cream, cheese, etc, but she adds lots of veggies, etc to increase the weight of food . I think this particular cookbook is ok (the breakfast and dessert recipes are better than the lunch/dinner/appetizers), but I would guess if you search on volumetrics you can find even better recipes.
  • jmec
    jmec Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Cookinglight.com
    I get the magazine and I have some CL books and I think it's fabulous. Most of my favorite "staple dinners" are cookinglight recipes. (...noticing Tam's contribution to the recipe forum, I think she'd agree)
    What I love is that it uses real ingredients so your food tastes good in addition to it being "light". I don't necessarily have anything against "fat free" this or that or Splenda, etc. I just think most times food just tastes better when you have "the real thing". (just in controlled portions) Plus, if this is truly a change in my way of life, I don't want to use Splenda and fat free cheese for the rest of my life. Just my opinion. :happy:
    Good Luck!