Runners and lifters

Options
I'm wondering how many of you out there both run and lift heavy. It seems like people believe doing them together is counterproductive, but I like both of them and I'm not stopping! I know that it won't make me look like a figure competitor, but you can't expect me to believe that the combo (done on different days) won't help me get fitter and stronger!

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Here. And I pretty much feel the same way as you.
    I feel strong and healthy. I am by no means a fast runner but I don't believe that lifting keeps me from being speedy.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually a runner, but I promised my sister we'd run in the Race for the Cure in January for my aunt who died from breast cancer. I think we are doing the 10K portion. So I am running 2-3 times a week and lifting heavy 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule/time allowance, my general soreness level, etc.. I will not stop lifting heavy to train for this race. I don't think it is counterproductive because as I am not trying to lose any weight, I am still eating at usual maintenance + exercise calories.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 3 times per week and get cardio at least 3.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I do both and I don't really see why they would be considered counterproductive. I am still losing weight and also increasing on my lifting.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's a tough balance.

Two miles Mon-Fri morning, lift Mon, Wed, and Fri afternoon. One long run every two or three weeks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Running and lifting pretty much sums up what I do.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week and lift three times a week. I have a half marathon in two weeks and I do stronglifts 5x5. So far so good. I am hoping the weightlifting will help me run faster!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's what I do too.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I run and lift...I firlmly believe that lifting has made me stronger. I live in an area of the Northeast of NJ with hills; little hills, long hills, steep hills, etc. The only flat place I can run is either a treadmill or at the highschool track. I have seen a huge improvement in speed and endurance since I have started adding in strenght training/lifting. Plus my arms and legs are now TONED! :) I have run 1/2 marathons and 5k's...my speed is average for my age group.

Personally, if it works for you, and it gets you moving and exercising, there is nothing wrong with it..."too each is own"
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually a runner, but I promised my sister we'd run in the Race for the Cure in January for my aunt who died from breast cancer. I think we are doing the 10K portion. So I am running 2-3 times a week and lifting heavy 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule/time allowance, my general soreness level, etc.. I will not stop lifting heavy to train for this race. I don't think it is counterproductive because as I am not trying to lose any weight, I am still eating at usual maintenance + exercise calories.

See, a big reason I'm lifting is to maintain as much as possible of my lean body mass while I lose.
  • inkdgirl
    Options
    I do both as well..I run 3-4x week and lift 5-6x a week.. I believe the lifting helps strengthen my legs for running...
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do both. You really should lift weights. Not only does it help with your strength, it helps prevent running injuries. Plus I really want to keep my upper body in shape, too.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do both as well and would never stop either. Between the two, I'm getting stronger, increasing my endurance, increasing muscle mass and burning fat. It works for me and if it works for you to, I say do what you love!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Running and lifting pretty much sums up what I do.

Same.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I run 20-25 miles per week and I lift heavy, I feel amazing! I'm not a fast runner, but my running's improved since I started lifting heavy a few months ago. I just had to find a good balance because I was really tired in the beginning. I :heart: running and heavy lifting sooooo much!!!!!!!:love: