Skim Milk

Options
I have read recently that skim milk is not the best choice for weight loss. I have read that they have to add powdered milk to it just so it's not blue in color. I believe I am going to try switching to 2%....anyone else heard this? And what do you drink?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I heard that. Its just more processed and watered down. I still drink skim tho :]
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My skim milk is already in powdered form. I drink it from time to time. Personally I'd rather use the fat on something else like peanut butter or cheese. I've never heard that "it's not the best choice for weightloss". Drink whatever you prefer. Just fit it into your day.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What little milk I drink will be skim. Research 2 % before making the decision to switch.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im not picky about milk really. I love skim, like 1% and 2% , Ill use whole in things like cereal, coffee or as chocolate milk, and I love chocolate soy milk and vanilla almond milk. The best options for weight loss are low fat dairy, and unsweetened almond milk ( according to my nutritionist).
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I heard that but it doesn't stop me from drinking it. Truth be told though I usually drink unsweetened soy milk these days for the improved carb/protein profile.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    What little milk I drink will be skim. Research 2 % before making the decision to switch.

Yes. Because it is a big decision.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened soya milk, because I like the taste of it.

If not, I drink semi skimmed, because we are not talking a lot of calories here in the end - the problem is usually what you put with the milk.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like 1%. Skim tastes like white water. White water is for rafting.
  • taso42
    Options
    Can someone please explain why skim milk is supposedly "bad"?

Why am I even in this topic? :noway:
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't like milk but when I have to use it in a recipe I use skim. I put soy milk in my coffee because it tastes better. Never been a milk drinker but gotta get my calcium from somewhere!
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't use alot of milk 150 - 200ml a day at the most and I use skimmed.

If I bought whole I'd water it down myself anyway so may as well just buy it watered down anyway.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Can someone please explain why skim milk is supposedly "bad"?

Why am I even in this topic? :noway:

I was wondering the same! I drink lots of milk :D
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In the United States, the labeling standards require that any ingredients be placed on the label; therefore, if the label does not specify "dry powdered milk", the milk does not contain it. This myth was circulated many years ago so there are probably some remnants of it around. Skim milk has the fat removed in the processing. 2% has some of the fat removed. I'd suggest making your choice based on the amount of fat you want in your diet unless you prefer one over the other for taste reasons.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Milk makes me clear a room (think mustard gas)...I just go into the barn and milk a few almonds...almond milk is the only thing I drink (unsweetened vanilla)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I prefer the milk you get from almonds. I know it's meant for baby almonds, but I don't care.
  • taso42
    Options
    I prefer the milk you get from almonds. I know it's meant for baby almonds, but I don't care.

the downside is that it takes forever to milk an almond
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

You should try milking a black widow.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

You should try milking a black widow.

Can I use black widow milk in my cereal?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I prefer to get it straight from the almond's teet.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Ditto. I don't care if the baby almonds starve or the momma almonds are brutally killed after, I just want my almond milk.