SODIUM!!!!

Options
I checked my sodium today and i realized i am over by 700..what can i do to help lower my sodium intake? I've given up pop (sometimes i will have a sprite but thats rare), i haven't had fast food in a long time i eat fruits and veggies i'm just not sure what else i can do. i do eat frozen food mainly my boca burgers

Replies

• littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Okeedokee, So thank you for making your food diary available to view. From what I can see, a lot of it is coming from your carbs. It looks like you are eating bread at every meal. Try lowering it to two meals at most for now. You should see a difference. Good luck.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Okeedokee, So thank you for making your food diary available to view. From what I can see, a lot of it is coming from your carbs. It looks like you are eating bread at every meal. Try lowering it to two meals at most for now. You should see a difference. Good luck.

Right. Bread is a secret killer with loads of sodium.

Also, when you find yourself high in sodium, make sure you try to increase your potassium to even it out!

http://www.naturalnews.com/024539_potassium_sodium_diet.html
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would say your boca burgers, sliced deli products (the veggie protein you have) and bread looks like the biggest culprit. You could try limiting your break intake, maybe only half a bun if you must. You can also look for low sodium options in certain products. Even the morningstar products have a lot of sodium :/
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I would say your boca burgers, sliced deli products (the veggie protein you have) and bread looks like the biggest culprit. You could try limiting your break intake, maybe only half a bun if you must. You can also look for low sodium options in certain products. Even the morningstar products have a lot of sodium :/

I eat my boca burgers with half a bun, and sandwiches with only one piece of bread.It's a great way to cut your sodium intake in half!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Boca burgers and other meat substitutes (as other processed foods) tend to have tons of sodium. Maybe try making your own black bean, quinoa, lentil or other burgers! There are lots of great recipes out there. Also, cheese, cereals, sauces, deli meats, etc. can have tons of sodium where you wouldn't expect it - just start comparing labels. Canned beans and veggies are usually packed in salt water too, btw, so if you can make from dry that's good, or rinse canned beans off really well.

In general the closer to natural/whole the better. And, of course, limit the amount of salt you add to food. Good luck! :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat, even the "healthy" stuff is incredibly high in sodium. So is almost anything that comes in a can - soup, veggies, biscuits. If it has a shelf life longer than a couple weeks, chances are it has a lot of sodium in it.

Try to get things as fresh as you can. Grill chicken on the weekends and use that for your sandwiches. Buy fresh veggies and throw extra in the freeze for later use. Shop around for bread and try to find a whole wheat version that is lower in sodium.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I checked my sodium today and i realized i am over by 700..what can i do to help lower my sodium intake? I've given up pop (sometimes i will have a sprite but thats rare), i haven't had fast food in a long time i eat fruits and veggies i'm just not sure what else i can do. i do eat frozen food mainly my boca burgers

do you suffer from hypertension? if not don't sweat going over in sodium
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yes, in fact theres two ways to go about sodium intake one is to completely avoid and avoid basically all restaurants since they tend to load on the salt to just about everything on the menu. Or, you can simply use salt moderately-heavy and not track/worry about the amount consumed and you will be fine as well. There's actually been some tests along with a few anecdotal stories from personal friends that heavily salt all their foods and doctors being shocked that their actually extremely healthy. I'd be happy to ask around for some of the studies if anyone was truly interested you may have to PM me though I tend to not check back on forums as I lose them and am not sure how to find them again!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I eat my boca burgers with half a bun, and sandwiches with only one piece of bread.It's a great way to cut your sodium intake in half!

I've started doing that as well, if I even use a bun at all.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    hmm i don't know exactly how to go about making it lower...i know that mine is quite low, example today, under by about a thousand or something. could be those carbs, mine are really low. I never add salt, just because i don't like the taste. no i guess mine is just naturally that way.
  • jadebvb92
    Options

do you suffer from hypertension? if not don't sweat going over in sodium

I dont suffer from hypertension but alot of people in my family do