Pre-workout Snack

Options
geco22
geco22 Posts: 29 Member
I've started to have a problem where my pre-workout snack just isn't tiding me over. Twice in the last week about 30 minutes in, I suddenly feel very hungry. It's very difficult to continue with my workout once this happens, though I don't want to stop to eat either. I was hoping someone may have some tips for some good foods to eat before a workout that is low calorie but will keep me from feeling like I haven't eaten in days.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You kinda can't have low calorie and then complain of hunger.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You kinda can't have low calorie and then complain of hunger.
    Who told you that?
  • geco22
    Options
    I'm just saying I don't want to have to eat an extra meal before working out just so I don't feel like I'm starving.
  • SeanFitnessPal
    SeanFitnessPal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk and chocolate hemp protein mix. Fills me up.
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    a bowl of milk and nails.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now pre-workout. I typically have a medium-large banana and that holds me for a 5-mile run.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    A half an apple and 1 ounce of cheese. Olives and nitrate free salami. Protein shake. Eggs. Cottage cheese. Yogurt. There are many choices.
  • allison_joan
    Options
    There are plenty of things you can eat that are low calorie! Try a half of a whole wheat bagel thin with turkey (about 150 calories), a large leafy salad with low fat/calorie dressing, 200 calories worth of oatmeal, 2 eggs in a mini pita (220 calories). There are a lot of options but I'm a picky eater so maybe try googling some ideas? Also, I drink 16 ounces of water before I even work out and drink another 16 ounces of water while I workout and that usually tends to curb my hunger till I can have a post workout snack!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yes, something on the higher carb end but still lower on the calorie end. I know this may not be exactly what you were looking for but the carbs are what will give you the energy to perform in the gym. Not to mention drinking tons of water previous to and while working out it will help trick the stomach into feeling more full than it actually is.
  • geco22
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Today I had a 90 calorie cheddar cheese stick at about 2, then a 140 calorie yogurt smoothie at 3. I got to the gym about 3:40 and was feeling pretty hungry after about 45 minutes of my workout.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've started to have a problem where my pre-workout snack just isn't tiding me over. Twice in the last week about 30 minutes in, I suddenly feel very hungry. It's very difficult to continue with my workout once this happens, though I don't want to stop to eat either. I was hoping someone may have some tips for some good foods to eat before a workout that is low calorie but will keep me from feeling like I haven't eaten in days.

Do you have any meals in your day in which you could spare some calories from that meal or meals and move them to your pre-WO meal to help hold you over?
  • geco22
    Options
    I thought about trying to eat less at lunch maybe so I could move the calories, but I only eat about 400 calories for lunch. I've also been thinking that I might just not be eating enough in general.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and noticed you are also not tracking your sodium. I know that sometimes plays a roll in many key factors. I know when I have too much sodium, I feel icky and my body disguises it for hunger. I also agree with drinking more and more water before the gym. Today I forgot my water bottle at home and had to keep refilling my coffee mug for my water intake. It was not fun. At the gym the side cramps came and it was a difficult workout. Keep up the work.