Anyone not within a "normal" BMI but is happy?

Options
I still have around 20-30 kg to lose, but unsure exactly yet, as at some point I want to gain as much muscle as possible, I don't want to be skinny and tiny. (currently lifting, which is helping with the fat burning)
For my height 158 cm, "normal" is 50-62 kg (weight 88 ish currently) I guess when I am at a weight I am happy with I will know, and I suspect it may be higher than that range, but unsure yet.

So are you considered overweight according to BMI, but are you happy with where you are?
This question is really also directed at those women who are lifting heavy and have muscle :D
Also can I have a pic please, thanks :)

Replies

• therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    YAY! Just for saying it! I am glad that you are feeling happy and healthy at your weight!
  • JillianDixon
    Options
    According to BMI on paper, you are overweight, but if you use a Body Fat Analyzer (I use the one at my gym), it may say that you really are in "normal" range. BMI does not count muscle. According to the trainers at the gym, I probably won't fit into the "normal" catagory, because I am very curvy. My goal weight my trainer and I want me to be at is around 27%, so overweight. I would love to share pics once I'm there.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm still a few pounds away from "normal" (I'm about three pounds into "overwight"), but like the above poster said, BMI doesn't take muscle or frame into account. I am naturally large-framed (my wrist measurement proves this haha), have wide hips, and have been building muscle. My weight is kind of stabilized at 139-140, but my BF% keeps going down, and THAT is the number that is important to me, not BMI, which is such an arbitrary chart!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    If you are happy, be happy. Don't second guess yourself.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I agree that BMI is not the most authoritative individual measure - my BMI is considered either low healthy or underweight (19.8), but I have a very light frame and the time I did get a body fat % done, I had a higher body fat % than what you would think for my BMI, even though I do work out 4 times a week. Some will be healthy with an 'overweight' BMI, others will be healthy with a slightly 'underweight' BMI - muscle : bone : fat changes a lot between people.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh just to clarify, not currently happy with my body yet, but was trying to think of a goal weight, thats all.
    Thanks for all your answers, I guess I will know once I reach that weight I want to be.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    According to BMI on paper, you are overweight, but if you use a Body Fat Analyzer (I use the one at my gym), it may say that you really are in "normal" range. BMI does not count muscle. According to the trainers at the gym, I probably won't fit into the "normal" catagory, because I am very curvy. My goal weight my trainer and I want me to be at is around 27%, so overweight. I would love to share pics once I'm there.

JillianDixon, you and I both have a body fat percentage goal. Our percentage goal isn't that far from one another.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm happy. My bmi will always be high. I'm not worried about losing bmi numbers. I'm focusing on losing body fat percentage and pounds of fat.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Depending on my weight fluctuations, I'm anywhere between 1-3 lb from being overweight. My picture is from about a week ago. I'm sure you can do the math :)
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    I'm within a normal BMI, and at the top of my healthy weight range, but am still not happy with my shape (big belly and still rolls of fat), so I'm still dieting! I think it totally depends on hwo you feel about how you look...if you're happy with that then that's what matters.
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Depending on my weight fluctuations, I'm anywhere between 1-3 lb from being overweight. My picture is from about a week ago. I'm sure you can do the math :)

Awesome there is my answer right there :D
    I want sexy visible muscles, I think women too look hot with huge muscles (not steroid huge though :p )
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!