Lower Carb Diet =low BSL & low energy for exercise!.

Options
Hi all I am finding if I stick to my calorie allowance and reduce carbs I have had low Blood Sugar Levels and have at times felt light headed and less energy for exercise.How can I overcome this?.Also does anyone else experience this?.

Replies

• PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Here's a thought: If you don't respond well to low-carb, don't do low-carb.

Groundbreaking, I know.
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I try to time my meals within an hour of exercising. I can't do something light before exercise like a piece of fruit of granola bar as I find it isn't enough for me to make it through my workout. For me, that meal has to have adequate carbs and protein.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Groundbreaking, I know.

such outstanding insight, surely you did not expect one to come up with such as that themselves
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    Tommy Lee Jones has a point, i wouldn't go to low on your carbs.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Haha it was already stated but yes why avoid the carbs in the first place? I stick to a relatively high carb diet even during my cutting regime and have no problems leaning out. All through my cutting phase my carbs are higher than protein don't let misinformation on the internet fool you into thinking carbs are what induce you to gain weight, excess calories are the only thing that will result in weight gain. Plain and simple.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do low carbs and carb cycling and do experience the reduced energy. That's just part of it. To overcome this, I usually save my carb intake as a pre-workout meal. So if I ma only having one serving of carb that day, I have it right before my workout so I can have the energy. For example, I will make a protein shake with oatmeal in it or have a slice of whole wheat/grain bread with peanut butter.

Hope this helps.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are the best!!! And you do need them to get through exercise.
  • TheBombshell
    Options
    No need to get nasty-we all need encouragement and advise sometimes and learn from mistakes!.I am asking for advise not criticism and mean comments!.I find these comments insulting and belittling!.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are the best!!! And you do need them to get through exercise.

Not even true... I eat low-carb Mon-Fri, Sat/Sun carb-up and I perform fasted weight-training 6 days a week.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Here's a few facts that should help you piece it all together:

:smile: You're body burns things for energy in a specific order:
    1. Sugar
    2. Fat
    3. Muscle

:smile: When you run out of sugar your body feels a sort of 'crash'. The byproduct of burning fat is ketones, which are toxic to the body in large amounts.

:smile: Your brain only burns sugar. Nothing else. No sugar = no brain fuel. No brain fuel = no brain activity (this is why some diabetics will pass out during a hypoglycemic event).

Hope this helps you figure it all out!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Here's a few facts that should help you piece it all together:

:smile: You're body burns things for energy in a specific order:
    1. Sugar
    2. Fat
    3. Muscle

:smile: When you run out of sugar your body feels a sort of 'crash'. The byproduct of burning fat is ketones, which are toxic to the body in large amounts.

:smile: Your brain only burns sugar. Nothing else. No sugar = no brain fuel. No brain fuel = no brain activity (this is why some diabetics will pass out during a hypoglycemic event).

Hope this helps you figure it all out!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am finding if I stick to my calorie allowance and reduce carbs I have had low Blood Sugar Levels and have at times felt light headed and less energy for exercise.How can I overcome this?.Also does anyone else experience this?.

If you are a diabetic, you need to have 45 grams of carbohydrates per meal and 15 grams of carbohydrates per snack. I don't know how much calories you are eating a day. The signs you are getting is from not eating enough. Those signs are letting you know you need to eat.

The best way a diabetic can eat is to follow the grams amount and eat low GI foods. Foods under 55.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i personally have more energy when doing low carb, but that is me, that is not neccesarily anyone else.

if you are not feeling good with low carb it is probably not the right method for you.

People who really respond to low carb diets, tend to feel better doing it, not worse.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Groundbreaking, I know.

i fricken love you, lol
  • woker75
    Options
    i've been doing a low carb diet through a local doctor. He told me absolutely to be careful with exercise as the body doesn't have the fuel for it. Ive been trying to stick with a low calorie low carb diet high protien. it is really hard as most days I'm very sluggish. that said. and only a few weeks into it. i've started upping my carb intake, but trying to be more aware. As one of the others stated about an hour to hour and half before my workout I've been having some whole grain flat breat with peanut butter. it really helped me get a little more into my workout today and feel better. you might try that. Just be very careful with the low carb. even though I'm doing this with a doctor I have done ALOT of reading about it and am still in ways very skeptical, but I needed a structured boost to get me back in gear and to help reduce the junk food cravings and it definitely helped.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    it just goes with low carb, I have been cycling my carbs and have the higher carb days set aside for cardio. There will always be people who tell you you're doing the wrong thing... do what works for you and don't worry about their comments. Low carb absolutely works! I've been at it for a year and a half and my ticker will tell you how well it works. Lots of scientific evidence and research to back it up. The fatigue does get less extreme after you do it for a while. good luck!
  • KatieMiaX
    KatieMiaX Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    my brother went on a NO carb diet and eat plain chicken for like 1-3weeks and the first few days he was going very light headed and dizzy but it went after a few days because his body adjusted to it, and he lost like 2 stone and most of it off his bum and hips if i could do it i would ha!
  • TheBombshell
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and support and personal stories-chrissym78 and katiegoody and others-Thankyou ,this is a good topic as I am sure it applies to others!.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I found that as I increased the intensity of my workouts, I had to also increase my carbs. Although I still try to stay right around 100 grams a day. Good luck, hope you find what works for you.
  • tharpestad
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I stick with calorie count as far as what I can and "can't" have. Meal planning is key to my lifestyle change. If I know I'm having a heavy dinner, I eat light (healthy) stuff the rest of the day. Good luck!