1/2 marathon training milage

Options
I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon that's coming up soon, Nov 13th. Last Sat my long run was 10 miles. I did great no problems. I just have two more long runs left before the race. I was planning on running 11 miles my next long run on Sat. I'm not sure if I should run 12 miles for my last long run? Is it necessary? How do all you 1/2 marathoners train? I just want to be very prepared. I want to do well.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My training got all screwed up, but what I did was run 10 miles then my next long run was 12. I felt if I could run 12 I could definitely run the half.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10, you can run 13. But mentally, it's nice to know you're that much closer. I say go for the 12!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If you have time to fit in an 11 mile and then 12 mile run, then it won't hurt.
    If you can run 10 miles...you can definitely go for 13.1... just think of it as having only a 5k left!
    Good luck with the rest of your training. You will do great!!!!
  • Ughhhh_
    Ughhhh_ Posts: 12
    Options
    what were your times? I'm training for a full marathon atm and I was wondering what a good time would be.(:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt you will do well from the way you describe your training run. I would suggest you do your longest run this weekend, and then start tapering. It sounds like you are prepared. Here are some pointers. 1) the event is nothing but a training run - except there are a 'few friends' coming to run with you. 2) have fun 3) don't start anything new from now on (running, eating or hydration). 4) if you can - drive the route 5) make sure you lay everything out the night before .... 6) be there in time to get to the finish line and to do your pit stop. (lines can be long). 7) if it is windy or rainy - bring a trash bag with hole for your head and your arms - you will be surprised how effective that is. ... and *8) ... HAVE FUN.

(I have probably run25+ HM's - and long runs in preparationfor marathons)
  • joannaengel
    Options
    I've just run my first Half a few weeks ago. If you did 10 last week, try 12 this week. I would suggest not doing quite as long of a run the week before the half (maybe stick to 9 or so). The week before you really should do about 50% of your usual training, By the day of your marathon, you will be experiencing the benefits from about 2 weeks before and you really don't want to over-exert yourself the week before.

Best of luck on the 13th! It feels so great when you cross the finish line!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    If you can do 10, then you can do 13. You will be so surprised at all the energy you get from the runners, volunteers & spectators. You will feed off of them.

I followed a training plan for my first 3 full marathons & it seemed like I was always overtraining & got injured. I am only running halfs these days, but I do not follow a plan. I run whatever I think my body & mind wants to.

I, too, am running a half on Nov 13. My last long run will be on Saturday. Then i will be tapering off & resting..

Good luck on your half!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    what were your times? I'm training for a full marathon atm and I was wondering what a good time would be.(:

My 10 mile run I did at a 10.22 min mile pace. I'm happy with my pace.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would hurt to do 12 miles, but it certainly isn't necessary. Like a PP said, if you can do 10 miles, you can do 13.1 on race day. Don't stress over your last couple of long runs. You'll be fine. Enjoy the journey!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I'm training for a half on 11/5. I bought a plan from active.com and the longest run (this past weekend) was 11 miles. Next weekend is a 6 mile run, and then the race the following weekend.

Don't forget to cut back on your mileage in the weeks leading up to the race.

Good luck,

Mike
  • staceyseeger
    Options
    I have no doubt you will do well from the way you describe your training run. I would suggest you do your longest run this weekend, and then start tapering. It sounds like you are prepared. Here are some pointers. 1) the event is nothing but a training run - except there are a 'few friends' coming to run with you. 2) have fun 3) don't start anything new from now on (running, eating or hydration). 4) if you can - drive the route 5) make sure you lay everything out the night before .... 6) be there in time to get to the finish line and to do your pit stop. (lines can be long). 7) if it is windy or rainy - bring a trash bag with hole for your head and your arms - you will be surprised how effective that is. ... and *8) ... HAVE FUN.

GREAT ADVICE!!!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Just did my first half marathon with 12 weeks of training and did not run any longer than 10 miles. Using Hal Higdon program I was able to mentally prepare for the race.Suggest you run a route next weekend that is similar to the race.

The best advice I received was from my MFP running friends that told me to enjoy the race and not worry about time.

• BobDierk
    Options
    I did a 1/2 several years ago. Beforehand I did mostly 7-8 mile runs. However, a week or so beforehand I ran for 14. Having done that I had confidence that I would make 13.1 and didn't worry about pace, finishing, etc.
  • sjtreely
    Options

GREAT ADVICE!!!!

Yep, great advice. But here's one more .... don't wear your new race shirt for the race. You'll stand out like a newbie! And besides, you haven't earned it yet. Wear it out that night for pizza and beer.
  • staceyseeger
    Options

GREAT ADVICE!!!!

Yep, great advice. But here's one more .... don't wear your new race shirt for the race. You'll stand out like a newbie! And besides, you haven't earned it yet. Wear it out that night for pizza and beer.

Love it! And your medal as well...be proud to ROCK that AWARD!
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for all the great advice! I'm going to do 12 this Sat and then start tapering down my milage. I'm so excited that's all I can think of. I'm driving my husband crazy and he's running it with me! I am no way wearing the t-shirt during the race. Don't want to look like a doofus! Lol
  • staceyseeger
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for all the great advice! I'm going to do 12 this Sat and then start tapering down my milage. I'm so excited that's all I can think of. I'm driving my husband crazy and he's running it with me! I am no way wearing the t-shirt during the race. Don't want to look like a doofus! Lol

BTW - which one are you doing?
  • sjtreely
    Options
    WAIT!!!!!!! One more thing .... take water from the youngest volunteer at the water stations. It will melt your heart. Assure them you couldn't do it without their help! Some of those 4 and 5 year olds have the best tasting water around. Their parents will love you for it, too.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Call me an overachiever but I usually train to a point just beyond a half marathon. I've run numerous half marathons, a few full and many more 10K's. My long runs before my last half marathon were 24 and 25 Kilometers. By forcing your body to adapt to longer distances, a shorter distance becomes easier.

However, as you have two long runs remaining, I would train up to 11 miles on one and 8-9 on the last (taper). Adrenalin will carry you the rest of the way on race day.

A few other pieces of advice...

1. Bring a change of clothes for after the race
    2. Show up early
    3. Avoid eating anything your body isn't used to for 24-36 hours before hand... you don't need to trots while you're running.
    4. See if you can find out what beverages are being offered on the course and how often and train with them... some people don't tolerate some sports beverages well. It helps to prepare and work around if this resembles you.
    5. Get to know the course intimately. I ran a race yesterday where 8-10 runners were misdirected by police volunteers. Walk it the week before and get familiar with it.
    6. Avoid new shoes or clothing for the race. Run with what you know.
    7. While running, carry something to cover a blister (i.e second skin, duct tape etc) A blister can slow you up.
    8. Check the weather the day before. If you know its gonna rain... dress accordingly.
    9. Carb loading should really start 36 hours or more before. Make sure your body has time to convert and store the glycogen.
    10 Avoid alcohol or other things that cause dehydration a few days before the race.
    11. HAVE FUN.
    12. Don't get sucked into someone elses race. Most new runners, will try to keep pace with the faster runners. They end up burnt out by mile 4-5. Some don't finish. Run your own race at your own pace. I usually tell new runners to line up at the back of the pack as a means of avoiding this. Less people passing you leaves you less tempted to run at a faster pace.
    13. Did I mention rule 11? Have Fun.
    14. Eat lightly before the race to avoid stomach upset. You'll be nervous enough.
    15. Bring your nutritional supplements that you trained with... we're talking Gu Chomps, Nuun, Sports Beans etc. Race day isn't the time to try something new.

Oh yeah... and Have Fun!:laugh:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good schedule. I do mine a little different, but I just run a little longer run then the half marathon. The past 3 weekends I have ran 14 miles, and this coming Saturday, I am only gonna run 7-8miles my half marathon is November 5th. Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon