Can I have all my favorite things as long as I stay under my

Options
I tend to hate diets, therefore, I eat what I normally do. Its not always bad. I love fruit and veggies and eat mostly chicken breasts anyways. I don't eat burgers or things like that. I am addicted to Java Monster's and they are 200 cals a can. I also tend to go over my sodium intake. Any suggestions on how to bring that down and still enjoy things I like?

Replies

• Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes you can have whatever you want as long as you are under your daily calorie limits. It's all about calories in and calories burned... Salt can be tough, look for No Salt Added things or Low Sodium items. Drink plenty of water and you'll be okay!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yes, you can eat whatever you please so long as your daily caloric intake is below your maintenance. Excess daily calories lead to excess weight it's as simple as that. Research IIFYM on google if you'd like.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Java Monsters too. (wish they would have more Lo-balls around to buy - lower carbed and calories). Just knowing you are going to have 1 or 2 - figure it in your meal plan for the day then work around it. That's what I do. I have issues with sodium too but many veggies are 'naturally' high in sodium so I disregard some of it but if I retain fluids I know why.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    That's pretty much the basics of how it works. Eventually you'll start to cut out some of those empty calories.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree ... this about making lifestyle adjustments, not a dieting .. you have to find ways to make this work for you, with the primary goal of not exceeding a certain calorie count.

You have to take ownership of what you eat and decide if it is worth the "cost" calorie-wise ... (My boyfriend is just now learning to understand what I mean when I say "no thanks, that is too expensive" ...lol)

Small tweaks can make a huge difference, and adding water is always a good thing.

PS there are decent energy drinks out there with less sugar, calories, etc ... maybe it is time to experiment?
  • Beautybeyondmyskin
    Beautybeyondmyskin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your eating style , Your way of life you have to ENJOY IT in order for you to stay with IT!!! But you got to watch your salt intake !!! and make sure you drank your water!!! Happy journey my new SIS!!! :bigsmile:
  • charlesalvear
    charlesalvear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too have to watch for my sodium intake as I have high blood pressure. I was able to find low sodium precooked chicken at my grocer so it gives me piece of mind to stay under my sodium goal. Check with your grocer for options. The main thing is to jsut keep checking the food labels for the sodium count per serving. I was amazed to find how some foods that I thought were healthy were horrible as far as sodium content.

I believe there are good calories and bad calories. So while you could stay under goal eating just donuts everyday, it's not healthy to do so.

I think you are taking the right approach. You don't have to give up your favorite drink or food item to see results. I personally have two creme pops for dessert everyday and White Chocolate Macadamia creamer in my coffee every morning. Sure I could shave off some calories if I avoided those foods altogether, but I stay well within my goal.

I have gone cold turkey on some items though like breakfast tacos (my biggest weakness) and soft drinks. I only rewarded myself with tacos this past weekend for hitting a mini goal.

It's all about moderation, and I think many people on this site have proven that they can get results without going on hardcore diets.

Good luck!

Charles
  • jessluvscrossfit
    jessluvscrossfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm super excited to hear that. I was feeling like the only one that did this. I feel better now. Thanks ya'll!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Within reason - yes!
    As long as the bulk of your meals/snacks are healthy foods then I don't see a problem with the occasional treat.

The only thing I think you have to be careful of is that if you are eating low calorie you need to make sure that you are getting enough actual nutrients first, before you add in the empt/treat calories.
    If you were only eating 1200 cals and had 400cals worth of treats you would only have 800 cals left to supply all your nutrition for the day.
    If you are eating higher cals (or including your exercise cals) then there is going to be more wiggle room for treats.
  • LauraSize8
    LauraSize8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your eating style , Your way of life you have to ENJOY IT in order for you to stay with IT!!! But you got to watch your salt intake !!! and make sure you drank your water!!! Happy journey my new SIS!!! :bigsmile:

I agree... Food is such a wonderful thing. I love food, all kinds of food. Don't be afraid to experiment and get out of your comfort zone. Good luck to you!